Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Ideas for buffet style reception???

I am having an outdoor non traditional wedding..I do not know what to serve for food...wat I am sure of is, I want it buffet style..wat would u ladies recommend???
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ideas for buffet style reception???

• How formal is your outdoor non-traditional wedding?  Are you going more for finger food type meal or for a full sit down feel? 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • What kinds of food do you and FI like?

If your reception is at a meal time, you will need a main course, with sides to include a starch (mashed potatoes, rice, etc) and veggies.

A salad and fresh rolls are always a nice thing to have.
  • If your reception has a more casual feel you could do a BBQ buffet....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ideas-for-buffet-style-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:abb14c3b-d97f-4e22-875b-58e2c7c25350Post:cb2e9033-9fb3-4b3a-ab2f-a1766ec819a0">Ideas for buffet style reception???</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having an outdoor non traditional wedding..I do not know what to serve for food...wat I am sure of is, I want it buffet style..wat would u ladies recommend???
    Posted by norinjuan[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by non traditional?  Outdoor is certainly not non traditional.  What type of feel are you going for?  What type of food do you like?  Do you have a low budget or is the sky the limit?
  • Okay, it's def  main course time. I do not want just finger food. Want to make sure they have a good sit dwn meal. Salad is a must, ty! Budget is tight! I love fish, chicken and bbq. By non traditional I mean; I am not having typical things ppl have or do....no bridal shower, bridesmaids, grooms men, [bridal party] Prob not a flower girl, not sure on this?? skip the speeches! ceremony needs to be simple n short..i come from catholic family, FI is catholic but i am cristian...catholics have all these things like lazo, money exchange, unity candle etc...not doing that! I wanted buffet style, but my mother is against that! umm, things of that nature...I would like to think of a casual feel not too formal...I HOPE I AM MAKING SENSE, LOL. THANK YOU LADIES ON ALL YOUR RESPONSES!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ideas-for-buffet-style-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:abb14c3b-d97f-4e22-875b-58e2c7c25350Post:fa96de07-dfd4-4ddd-b5a6-261b5076ba0d">Re: Ideas for buffet style reception???</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, it's def  main course time. I do not want just finger food. Want to make sure they have a good sit dwn meal. Salad is a must, ty! Budget is tight! I love fish, chicken and bbq. By non traditional I mean; I am not having typical things ppl have or do....no bridal shower, bridesmaids, grooms men, [bridal party] Prob not a flower girl, not sure on this?? skip the speeches! ceremony needs to be simple n short..<strong>i come from catholic family, FI is catholic but i am cristian...catholics have all these things like lazo, money exchange, unity candle etc...not doing that! I</strong> wanted buffet style, but my mother is against that! umm, things of that nature...I would like to think of a casual feel not too formal...I HOPE I AM MAKING SENSE, LOL. THANK YOU LADIES ON ALL YOUR RESPONSES!

I know you're not asking, but if Catholic faith is important to your FI, and you do not get married in the Catholic church, he cannot receive communion unless he gets special dispensation and your marriage would not be recognized as valid by the Catholic church.

The traditions you mention are <em>cultural</em> and not required parts of the Catholic ceremony.

Anyways, back to your original question, a buffet of baked fish, chicken, potatoes/rice, veggies, salad, & rolls is more than appropriate.
  • ok, ty for ur feedback..I think I will lean towards chicken, pasta, rolls, veggies & salad. Well, I hope he converts to Cristian soon...eek :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ideas-for-buffet-style-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:abb14c3b-d97f-4e22-875b-58e2c7c25350Post:0500da1f-1bfe-4e6a-baed-0dd270100b82">Re: Ideas for buffet style reception???</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, ty for ur feedback..I think I will lean towards chicken, pasta, rolls, veggies & salad. Well, I hope he converts to Cristian soon...eek :/

Your menu thoughts are sounding good:  if anyone is vegetarian they could still have a full meal.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ideas-for-buffet-style-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:abb14c3b-d97f-4e22-875b-58e2c7c25350Post:0500da1f-1bfe-4e6a-baed-0dd270100b82">Re: Ideas for buffet style reception???</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok, ty for ur feedback..I think I will lean towards chicken, pasta, rolls, veggies & salad. Well, I hope he converts to Cristian soon...eek :/
    I really hope you aren't going into this marriage with the hope of converting your FH, as that may be a dream that will never come true.  Don't expect someone to convert and change their religious beliefs for you.

Your menue sounds like you have some good ideas.  I would make sure what of your pasta dishes is vegetarian, like an alfredo with chicken on the side, or spaghetti with marinara sauce.  Salad is a good idea.  I would also have some sort of cooked veggies. 
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_ideas-for-buffet-style-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:abb14c3b-d97f-4e22-875b-58e2c7c25350Post:0500da1f-1bfe-4e6a-baed-0dd270100b82">Re: Ideas for buffet style reception???</a>:

<div>Yeah, we got married in a Catholic church and had none of the things you mentioned (what's lazo?) And yes, Catholic is a form of Christian so he's already Christian?? I would not count on FI converting to whatever denomination you are and you really need to have a discussion if religion is important to either you. Also, if he is Catholic then he <em>should</em> be getting married in the Church as that is a requirement for a valid marriage. That may be something which is important to him, in which case an outdoor ceremony might not be an option but an outdoor reception could be. </div><div>
    </div><div>For our buffet reception, we had a pasta bar with a variety of sides (rice pilaf, roasted veggies, sausage and meatballs, salad and rolls) and cupcakes for dessert (with a small vegan cake for H and I to cut so I could actually eat our wedding cake!) </div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • hmmm...yeah. Just a repeat that Catholics are Christian. Christianity is the religion, Catholic is the denomination.

Could you do BBQ? That fits in to the outside. I think a buffet sounds more convenient for outdoor weddings. Depending on where you are getting married could you have a small fire pit(like a portable one from Home Depot) and do smores for desert?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • norinjuan I've got your same problem! 
    we would like to have a buffet reception. We're Italian and our weddings are focus on food
     Laughing. We're thinking about reception stations (4 or even 5) and a BBQ. 
    As I can see, lots of venue are available to change the menu to fit our needs.
    For BBQ you need an outside space.

• Well change of plans. I am having an indoor wedding now. I think I am still going with the chicken, pasta [not sure what kind] and salad. FI is Cristian now:] so, no more concerns on that yay! The lazo is this rope thing they put over your mate and you... I think it's to signify unity [not sure]. Ne-who, I talked to the  deacon at my church and he said it be fine to do a mini service, exchange our vows and have the unity candle and conclude. Sounds good to mee! Thank you ladies once again for ur input!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards