Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

wedding dress...when is wedding season over?

I am searching for a dress but cant pay thousands and I dont want a used gown. When is wedding season over..when is the best time to shop for a dress?  I would like my own, new dress. When do most bridal boutiques have clearance sales?  Do the larger chains (David's Bridal, Alfred Angelo) have better sales than the smaller boutiques? I know Davids Bridal has the $99 sale but I havent found anything yet. I have also noticed that prices vary from one bridal store to the next...for example, I found the same exact style of a designer dress $250 cheaper at one location but more expensive at another and it was not a sample dress.  I know bridal boutiques mark-up wedding dresses a lot and they dont admit that they do!!!!  I just want to pay a fair price without getting ripped off.  I'm tired of wedding dress shopping yet I'm afraid to order a dress online from a bogus site.  Anyone know of any nice, yet reasonable priced wedding dresses stores in DFW under $1000 and even under $500?  Dont most stores put dresses on sale after wedding season is over?  What do they do with dresses they cant sale? Do they ship them off?
Thanks!

Re: wedding dress...when is wedding season over?

• edited December 2011
    David's and AA both have dresses under S1000 all the time.  They also have the $99 sales and similar "XX% off" sales frequently.

The wedding dress season ended in early spring with closeout sales (think the Kleinfeld blowout sale which was in late April I believe).  There are several trunk shows going on this month and next though, but designers that do these rarely get below $1,000 as far as I have seen so far.  

If you google, "Wedding Trunk Show Dallas" you may come up with some.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think DB told me they get their new dresses in September and April.  But don't quote me on that.  I know the September month is right.

I got my dress at AA and honestly, I wish I had gone to a boutique.  I see dresses on here all the time I love that were cheaper than mine.  Don't think that AA/DB are your only options.  That was my mistake.
  • kaflet10427kaflet10427 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that in the Denton area there is Bridalco, I bought my dress there for a steal. I was warned by the manager that their prices went up 20% because the prices for material has gone up. They have dresses you can buy right off the rack and special order also.
  • rcpm44rcpm44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_wedding-dresswhen-wedding-season-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:75d7757e-a00d-423b-83ab-0857fbfbe9baPost:8540c182-a9e2-40df-af5f-b1e13b604f0c">Re: wedding dress...when is wedding season over?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think DB told me they get their new dresses in September and April.  But don't quote me on that.  I know the September month is right. I got my dress at AA and honestly, I wish I had gone to a boutique.  I see dresses on here all the time I love that were cheaper than mine.  <strong>Don't think that AA/DB are your only options.</strong>  That was my mistake.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

This was my mistake too. There are loads of places where you can get a name brand dress for less than $1,000. Try looking at the vendor sticky at the top.
  • edited December 2011
    I bought by dress at the Bridal Co in Denton and it was well under $1000. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• edited December 2011

A good shop will work with you.  You should be able to tell them your dress budget, and they will keep you within it. 

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I loved Bridal Co in Denton and Circle Park Bridal.

Bridal Co, when I went mid-summer two years ago, had two huge racks of dresses by a certain designer that were all massively discounted. They sell a lot of dresses off-the-rack, as does CPB. I know at one point all the dresses at CPB were under $800, but it has the feel of a more expensive boutique.

The designer of my dress set the lowest possible price for it (around $600). Bridal Co offered the dress at that exact price, and CPB sold it for about $40 more. So, not much of a marketup at all.

To compare, another bridal store had a markup on the same dress of about $200. So yes, it does vary, but there are a bunch of great stores in this area with a great selection at lower prices.
  • edited December 2011
    I called DB today to figure out something with my order and asked for their seasons.

Stephanie is correct - They cycle dresses mainly in April, but a "mini" season in September for the heavier dresses.
  • edited December 2011
    I got my Maggie Sottero for under 1k. However, at another botique, it was several houndred more. You just have to shop around.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_wedding-dresswhen-wedding-season-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:75d7757e-a00d-423b-83ab-0857fbfbe9baPost:59ea0830-8715-4e73-ab2a-57fb1f761420">Re: wedding dress...when is wedding season over?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got my Maggie Sottero for under 1k. However, at another botique, it was several houndred more. You just have to shop around.
    Posted by meghanttu08[/QUOTE]

You can call around to other stores too before running all over the place if you have a style picked out. They will usually give you their price over the phone.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_wedding-dresswhen-wedding-season-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:75d7757e-a00d-423b-83ab-0857fbfbe9baPost:b04a6fa2-2cc2-44d4-b67a-f37e87e27aca">Re: wedding dress...when is wedding season over?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding dress...when is wedding season over? : You can call around to other stores too before running all over the place if you have a style picked out. They will usually give you their price over the phone.
    Posted by TexanTreasure08[/QUOTE]

True! There were a few styles I was looking at and called around to different places to see if they even had the dress(es). Saves time/gas! :-)
  • lauram3177lauram3177 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at Classy Concepts in Mansfield. It is a Maggie dress, and while it was a little more then 1000, they were having a sale on sample dresses when I was there last week for my fitting. I saw some really nice dresses for around 299. They are a very small boutique and the owner is soo sweet. I would recommend this store to anyone. I also know they have dresses under 1000 that are not sample dresses.
  • edited December 2011
    I visited four salons in the greater DFW area and all of them had a selection of sale gowns as well as trunk show discounts for specific vendors.  As PP said, Circle Park Bridal in Addison had a large selection of sale gowns.  But as with finding anything on sale after the end of the season, you will have to shop around.  When I was doing my research on weddings, my SIL gave me a book which had a chapter in it about shopping for gowns.  They recommended an on-line store (legit and is also brick and mortar) called Jay's Bridal that is based out of Gainsville, FL.  They have tons of dresses and are pretty decently priced.  I don't know if they have the most current collections but if there is a particular dress you have tried on and love, but  perhpas want a differnt price, you could check them out. LINK
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It also definitely depends on what type of dress you are looking for. My dress budget is <$1000 and found a few I really liked down in Burleson at Pence and Penache, including some Maggie and Ella gowns. However, I found that i really like lace dresses most, which tend to be more expensive in general, but found one I love (in budget!) at Alfred Angelo
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    My dress is being custom made..... We're taking several designs i like and are merging them into one fabulous dress. I can private message you my seamstresses number if you would like. There is no way in hades she would charge anywhere near $1,000....  She's actually quite amazing. She made my prom dresses back in the day too and I promise I was the only girl at that prom in Vera....

Anyway my point is that a lot of brides go off the rack becuase they think custom made is out of their price range. Let me know if you want the info.
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

Places I loved:

Bliss - I loved their dress. They have a huge blow-out sale I believe. I'm not sure when.
    Anonymously Yours- I almost purchased a $3,000 dress here for $500.
    A Bridal Blossom - A lot of different variety in dress. Most under $500.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bigbabyfacebigbabyface member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try and find discontinued dresses. just because it's technically 2 or 3 years old doesnt make it any less new....because of this i got a $2,500 dress for about a fifth of that price....
  • edited December 2011

If you're a size that can fit into most sample sizes, you might try Stardust's Bridal Closet - their outlet store

http://www.stardustcelebrations.com/a-bridal-closet-outlet.html

One girl at one of the bridal shows said she found her dress there for $300

Alternatively, I recommend Bridal Boutique in Lewisville. After taxes and such my Casablanca was $1200 but I'm sure they have cheaper dresses.

Another recomendation for Bridalco in Denton.  I didn't go, but would have based on reviews on Wedding Wire.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I bought my dress at Bliss in Ft Worth and a lot of their dresses are under $1000. Have you tried Terry Costa in Dallas? They have a lot, but its not that personal boutique feeling, but the price is right!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    When I went to look at Davids bridal I saw a dress that I loved that was in the 400's. AA was kind of too pricey for me and i just didn't like their dresses. There is a store in Grapevine mill mall called Group USA. They have beautiful dresses and they always always have sales, their next sale is November when bridal dresses are half off. My best friend got her dress from there and it's a gorgeous pick up dress. When she told me she got it from Group USA for 300 dollars I was completely shocked. A dress like that would have cost more at DB or even at AA. Then she told me the orignal price was 600 and she got it when everything was half priced. I got my dress from DB but Group USA was going to be my second choice if i ddint find a dress I liked from DB.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards