Wedding Reception Forum

Prayer before the meal - different religion

For your own wedding, would you say a prayer before the meal (or have someone say a prayer) that is to a god you absolutely don't believe in, because you think it would please the majority of your guests?   Assuming there are also guests at the wedding who do not believe or pray to this particular god and may be uncomfortable being asking to pray before the meal, and some may very well be offended at the thought.   Which guests' beliefs do you cater to?

Re: Prayer before the meal - different religion

• blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    Cater to yourself. Just don't say anything before the meal. If people want to they can pray on their own. You shouldn't have to have anything religious in your wedding or reception that you don't believe in.

I will have a prayer before the meal because it is something I believe in. If I didn't I just wouldn't have it no matter who wants to hear it.

EDITED You could have a moment of quiet where people give thanks for the meal in any way they wish. But really, if you don't believe in it, it's better to do nothing at all.
  • Do what feels right to you and FI.  If you choose to not have a prayer at all, people can pray quietly at their seat.  On the other hand, if you have someone say a prayer before the meal, your guests that are not religious or a different religion will just sit quietly and politely until it is over.  Just keep it short and nobody will be uncomfortable.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You don't cater to any guests' beliefs. Follow your own. In my case, that meant no prayer in any religion.
  • Do what you want, not what you think some of your guests would want.  If people want to say a prayer before eating, they can do so on their own.  
  • You can always leave a minute of silence for those who want to prayer.  You can announce something along these lines "before we eat I would like to have a minute/moment of silence for those who would like to prayer"
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_prayer-before-meal-different-religion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b0c6f5a7-90d8-4c99-bce4-bb42a1cf994fPost:fb759df8-f4b0-47bc-9216-8a31bcd00431">Re: Prayer before the meal - different religion</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can always leave a minute of silence for those who want to prayer.  You can announce something along these lines "before we eat I would like to have a minute/moment of silence for those who would like to prayer"
    Posted by rascal17[/QUOTE]

NO, don't even mention that the moment of silence is for prayer, in fact dont even have one. If you don't believe in God or have a religion you follow then dont allot any time for a prayer before the meal. If someone there is religious and they usually pray before eating I'm sure their'll be fine and they can pray to themselves before digging in.
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • If you and many of your guests don't pray anyway, it would look a bit awkward to them if you did for the sake of appearance.

I'm a Christian and if I were attending your wedding, I would just quietly bow my head say my prayer and start eating.

I don't think you need to worry about this at all.

Is someone pressuring you?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_prayer-before-meal-different-religion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b0c6f5a7-90d8-4c99-bce4-bb42a1cf994fPost:939f0002-f636-4885-bebf-975feb45639e">Re: Prayer before the meal - different religion</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you and many of your guests don't pray anyway, it would look a bit awkward to them if you did for the sake of appearance. I'm a Christian and if I were attending your wedding, I would just quietly bow my head say my prayer and start eating. I don't think you need to worry about this at all. Is someone pressuring you?
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]

THis.  The people who want to pray will do so independently.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards