Kentucky-Louisville
Options

Louisville, KY for a honeymoon?

My FI and I are thinking about going to Louisville for our honeymoon. I've been there once before and they seemed to have a lot of really great restaurants and hotels. We are going for a more laid-back honeymoon where we can just relax in the hotel and go out to dinner and just do museums or activities at our leisure. My FI was a baseball player all of growing up and is still really into it so we thought the Slugger Museum could be really cool and I've heard that 4th street has a lot of entertainment as well. So I was just wondering if anyone who lives there or has visited there thinks this could be a good honeymoon spot and if you have any suggestions of hotels, restaurants, or activities or even places that we should stay away from. Thanks so much!

Re: Louisville, KY for a honeymoon?

• Options
    jlegga1jlegga1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I are thinking about going to Louisville for our honeymoon. I've been there once before and they seemed to have a lot of really great restaurants and hotels. We are going for a more laid-back honeymoon where we can just relax in the hotel and go out to dinner and just do museums or activities at our leisure. My FI was a baseball player all of growing up and is still really into it so we thought the Slugger Museum could be really cool and I've heard that 4th street has a lot of entertainment as well. So I was just wondering if anyone who lives there or has visited there thinks this could be a good honeymoon spot and if you have any suggestions of hotels, restaurants, or activities or even places that we should stay away from. Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know anything about it, but there are several girls on the Etiquette board who live there and likely could give you advice! If you want to, you could page them by making a post that says, "KY girls" or somethin on the E board. Or try to KY local board, because one of those ladies is the mod there as well. :)
  • Options
    whitneygeslerwhitneygesler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am from Louisville. The city is really awesome! There are a lot of orignial restaurants here that are very yummy. Off the top of my head there is the Louisville Slugger Museum, Muhammed Ali Center, Louisville Science Center, Frazier History Museum, Speed Art Museum, Glassworks, Ky Derby Museum, Churchill Downs, The Kentucky Center for the Arts, the Louisville Zoo, Waterfront Park, many historic homes, parks and other things. 
    Also, you could do the Bourbon Trail http://www.justaddbourbon.com/planavisit/bourbontrail.aspx) which is not in Louisville but is the Bourbon Distilleries around Louisville. Louisville has the Urban Bourbon Trail (http://www.justaddbourbon.com/planavisit/urbantrail.aspx)  where you visit some bourbon bars here. 
    Mint Julep tours also offers some neat tours in and around Louisville. (http://www.mintjuleptours.com/)
    Also, here is a helpful website:
    http://www.gotolouisville.com/index.aspx

I really hope this helps!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    knisaa2knisaa2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes!!! Stay at the Galt House! It is absolutely beautiful!!!!
    "For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul" - Judy Garland Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whitney has some great suggestions! There is also Huber Winery and a bunch of other smaller wineries on the Indiana side that would be nice to visit. The Bourbon Trail would be a good opportunity to see the countryside around Kentucky and see some beautiful distilleries.

If you come during the week, I would hit up a Bats game as well. I always have a great time when I go. Churchill Downs is running their spring meet from May - 4th of July.
  • Options
    jlegga1jlegga1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the advice ladies! It sounds like this could be the perfect honeymoon spot for Justin and I! :)
  • Options
    Adrianne08Adrianne08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also look into 41C as a hotel. Supposed REALLY highly rated. Attached to a really eclectic museum/ restaurant.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's 21C but I agree. :) It's right next to the Slugger Museum.
  • Options
    nannewmurnannewmur member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can go to Glassworks and take a tour (it is a really cool place!) and then you can do a make and take and there are several things to choose from!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would also suggest the Mega Caverns (even though it's a man-made cavern it's pretty neat) and they are installing a zip line tour soon.

The Galt House is great because you're within walking distance of tons of things like 4th Street, the Belle of Louisville, the Waterfront (when it's not flooded) and Museum Row on Main. Also, if you all happen to be in town during the first friday of the month, you can hop on the trolley's for free and enjoy the monthly Trolley Hop to check out different art galleries and restaurants along Main and Market Streets.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you stay downtown eat one night at Rivue. It is in the Galt House hotel. It is a great special occasion restaurant. It is a rotating restaurant with great views of the city.

Jack Fry's is another great local restaurant. You will need reservations for both though.

More laid back restaurants:

BBC is a local brewery downtown with great food.
    Toast on Market has amazing breakfast.

Enjoy your stay here!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i agree about going to the Rivue. im a little partiial to it. I just got engaged there 5 weeks ago. lol but it was an amazing restaurant!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats Stylist!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Id also look into Nashville if you're interested in Louisville
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards