Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cake knife and server set

Who traditionally takes care of the wedding cake knife and server set?
Is it something the couple buys themselves or is this part of the role of a member of the wedding party?
I would like to ask my future parents in law to get one for us, but in advance I just wanted to check whether I'll be committing any faux pas (to be prepared for the outrage).
Thanks for your help!

Re: Cake knife and server set

• jeanna85jeanna85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah its rude to ask someone to buy you something. if you dont get one as a gift at your shower and you really want one, you should buy it yourself.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I agree it is rude to ask someone to buy it for you. Depending how far away from your wedding you are, someone may end up getting it for your for a present just because or for a bridal shower. We got engaged last April and this past Christmas people were asking me/us what we wanted. I told FMIL that I would really like to have a flute and serving set, and that is exactly what we got, a together gift, but it was perfect. She was having trouble coming up with ideas for me anyway bc I really didn't need anything specific. If not, you will have to buy it yourself or you could always borrow it from your parents, FI's parents or some other close relative. I wanted ours engraved though, so if you borrow one, you may want to make sure they aren't engraved.

• future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Please don't ask anyone to buy you anything.  Wedding party members don't have jobs or duties, it's an honor as a friend/family member of yours.  So treat them that way.  If you want something and don't get it as a gift, you buy it yourself, simple as that.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all your advice ladies. I think you've got the wrong impression about me asking them to buy it, my future mother in law keeps asking what it is that they can contribute and how they can help and what they can bring, as the wedding is in my hometown and my folks are helping us with so many things already.
    With regards to asking people to buy things for you, isn't that what a gift registry is? ;)
    Anyway, my original question is probably answered - so thanks a lot!!!

• edited December 2011
    You can find these pretty inexpensive at Michaels  or Hobby Lobby (buy during a 50% off wedding deal, or with 40% off coupon). I got lucky in that my venue has a set for me to use. I really doubt I will ever use these again, so if I had to buy them I would have been picking them up at Michaels.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If she is asking you then you can tell her you want them.  I don't know if there is a tradition as to who buys them.  I have heard of people getting them as engagement gifts, shower gifts, buying it themselves, etc.  My mom and I were at Macy's one day and she said she wanted to get them for us, so I picked out a matching serving set and flutes that I really liked and she bought them.  If she brings it up again you can just say "we would really like a serving set and/or toasting flutes for the wedding." 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards