Military Brides

Registry Thoughts?

So... obviously, it's really taboo and tacky to ask for cash. Not gonna go there. 

My question is: What do you ladies think about gift cards? A lot of registries are allowing you to add gift cards to their store to your registry so that you can go back later and get things that you forgot about... or whatever. 

We don't need much stuff because we're combining already established households. FI is a kitchen whore and he has all cast iron, lots of nice knives/stuff, complete pyrex set with lids, lots of tupperware, etc... and all kitchen appliances we want... couple that with being mil and us not wanting a ton of crap to move around, and the fact that I'll be moving a great distance to live with him, and really we would rather have money or gift cards than more stuff. 

How did you all handle this? meh.
wedding1 Anniversary

Re: Registry Thoughts?

• edited December 2011
     I honestly think that if people want to get you a gift card for your registered store, they will. They don't need to be prompted to. I, personally, wouldn't be offended if I saw that on a registry, but it also wouldn't make me want to get a giftcard MORE or anything. 
    I kinda feel like it's neither here nor there.. do it if ya want, but it may still come off as gift grabby to some...? 
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't put them, but only because I'd rather have cash than gift cards.  I mean, it works out to be the same dollar amount, right?  Only I can get interest on cash, and I can't on gift cards - some even charge you maintenance fees if you don't spend them quckly enough.  I'd rather just have cash if they don't want to buy me a gift.  Just doesn't make any sense to me.  I never give gift cards, except maybe a novelty "thank you" gift, like a $10 Starbucks card.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs.  The guest is going to get you what they want to get you.  I think putting a gift card on there isn't going to persuade them one way or the other.

Also, if there isn't much you need (or are putting on the registry) at the store, why would you want a gift card there?  I understand, in case you forgot to add something, but then you're limited to buying it at that store.  What if you don't like the selection of that item at that store?  kwim?
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    firemed! Just register on Amazon or REI. It doesn't HAVE to be boring kitchen stuff! People want to buy you and your hubs what you two will use together! I was not at all offended by a couple that registered at REI because I was able to buy them camping stuff that I knew they would use. TOGETHER and enjoy! 
    Same with Amazon. Amazon has everrrryyythiiiing (and then if you get gift cards to there, you can buy clothes and things ;) ) Let H register for video games, you two can add on board games, entertaining items, etc. Don't feel like it has to be bedsheet, pots, and bathroom wastebaskets. 
  • BinxRoseBinxRose member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good call on Amazon FTL. Also, in general, they say that if you were wanting cash, just make a small registry. Some people will still buy you things you didn't actually register for, but you are also more likely to get money.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    My friends registered on Amazon.com, and I was really impressed (and a bit jealous).  They got power tools, a Flip video camera (that I may have bought them...), some other electronics they wanted, some video games, and lots of board games.

Anniversary

• calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I also wanted to say that I think if you want to put gift cards, most people won't notice/care.  It's just at the top of the registry for most of the links, and I always assumed it was automatic before I registered myself, like the company just adds that.  It makes sense - if someone wants to buy you something but doesn't know what, they'd probably get you a gift card anyway.

Anniversary

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    edited December 2011
    I honestly don't think it matters if you put that you want giftcards or not.  If you are registered at Target, I would assume you would be fine with a Target gift card too.  You can definitely get non-traditional with your registries though.  

The thing is, everyone would likely prefer cash to do with what they will.  If you don't want the hassle of having to move physical gifts, then technically from an etiquette standpoint you should turn down a shower.  Just make a small registry, and most people will get the hint that you would rather have cash or gift cards.  Also you can have family members spread the word when someone asks what you would like for gifts, and they can say that you're saving for furniture when you move, or something like that.

Also, I find it hard to believe that anyone can't find enough to register for.  H had a fully furnished apartment, and I had a closet and basement full of brand new Pampered Chef stuff.  But we still managed to make a full registry with nice new towels and bedding, fun ktichen accessories and appliances, and upgrades to things like our silverware and stuff, plus things like camping equipment and bard games and stuff.  You will probably surprise yourself when you walk around the store with how quick and easy it is to end up with a pretty full registry.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto beach. I also had about 20 people at my shower and had a smaller registry due to moving, but everything was bought and I received several hundred dollars worth of gift cards to both bed bath and beyond and target. Don't stress about this too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards