Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Whose been to Greece?

So my Fiance and I are thinking Greece for our Honeymoon end of september or beginning of October. He wants to travel to a few different areas in Greece. Can anyone recommend hotels,citys,or hotspots that were good. We are shoppers but love history and culture. Were not beachy kind of people but would liketo relax by some water. Would love to go on a guided tour as well. Please help starting to do some reserach and the more suggestions I get more helpful it would be. Last thing how many nights did you stay in total. Thinking 9-10 nights and hoping around to two or three hotels.  If you want to share with me how much you paid a night for a hotel or is meals expensive in greece would much appreciate. I know it will be expensive but lucikly we don't have to pay for the flight because my parents are giving me the skymiles. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Re: Whose been to Greece?

• Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey tecah, I went there this past summer on a cruise, with stops in Corfu, Athens, Mykonos, and Katakolon.

For touristy/historic stuff, definitely make stops in Athens and Katakolon. In Athens you have the Acropolis, Parthenon and Greek theater, Zeus's temple, and the Panathenaic Stadium, and in Katakolon you have Olympia, the birthplace of the Olympics (it's really just ruins now, but it's pretty cool to set foot on the same ground and see where it all began.).
    For shopping and pure delight, you must visit Mykonos. I would do an entire week there, exploring the villages, the beaches. It's the Greece you see in movies and imagine. We did not get to Santorini, but it gets great reviews.

This is a Boston blogger's blog, she outlined her trip to Greece complete with places to eat, food reviews....I highly recommend checking it out!
    http://carascravings.blogspot.com/2010/06/eats-in-greece-part-i-athens.html

She has several entries written in June.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello,

I just answered a post below as we went to Greece for our honeymoon two months ago! Love it there, you will not be disappointed. The Euro right now is worth more than the dollar so it is more expensive but if you eat at some of the more family restaurants than fancy it will be pretty affordable. The food was amazing <:
    Wonderful Lemon Chicken!!! This was my favorite <:
    Baklava from a small family bakery we found on a side street in Oia, Santorini

Saganaki! My husband was obsessed with this app! hahaha it tastes like pizza cheese. We now make it at home!
    Lamb dinner at Andronis which was the best lamb I ever ate!

The food is very fresh! When we came back here we didn't want to eat American food!
    Again for hotels I highly recommend Andronis in Santorini! It was voted 2nd most romantic hotel in the world on TripAdvisor.
    Electra Palace was very nice in Athens too and had a beautiful view of the Acropolis/Parthenon.
    Most people speak English so it is not hard to communicate and also we found most people very friendly!
    Recommend bringing some Euro but you can also get money out of the ATM and at least with my bank there wasn't much of a fee to do that. Rather than carrying a ton of cash!
    Our total vacation was about $8k including flights, transfers, hotels that were 5 star. I think Andronis is about $500 a night?? but we again got a double upgrade so we were staying it what they said was equal to about  $800 a night.
    My husband is a history buff so he really enjoyed Athens and as a part of our package we had a tour of Acropolis/ Delphi etc. Also included a sunset sail in Santorini! I do recommend Athens for the history we actually paid a cab to take us out to the battle of Thermopylae ( or as a lot of people would know from the movie 300) My husband bought a spartan helmet and got to yell "this is Sparta" hahaha which he enjoyed!
    Santorini has beaches (we went to the black sand one) but Oia is a seaside city on a cliff overlooking the caldera. All little shops and restaurants, seriously the best place I've ever saw or been too! We sat out by the pool a lot with drinks being brought to us <:
    I highly recommend Hellenic Holidays if you go through a travel agent, Petros really knows his stuff and he put together the best honeymoon we could ever ask forSmile
    ohh and that time end of Sept beginning of Oct is a perfect time as it is still beautiful weather but a lot less crowded with less cruise ships.

Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Just want to chime in and say Cara, from Carascravings is my best friend and her Greece trip was truly amazing! Her stories and pictures from the trip make it sound like the trip of a lifetime.

She went with a travel agent that helped plan. Let me know if you want some more info from her.

Oh and she's also on the nest... she's the mod on the What's Cooking board... bensbabe.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I posted on your previous post but here are a few more details on my June 2009 trip.

We took a two week trip to Greece (Santorini, Athens and Mykonos). We also included Istanbul since it was only an hour flight from Athens. If you're a history buff, it's quite an amazing place. We flew to each destination but you can also take the ferries although the schedule is more erratic off-peak (something to consider from a time perspective). The flights are pretty cheap between Athens and the islands.

We were in Santorini for 5 days and stayed at Anastassis Apartments and another place in Fira. Anastassis is so popular that people book a year in advance. We were lucky to get 3 nights there and they were the best ever. A full breakfast is included in the price of the room. I don't think we paid more than $250US for the basic room. They have fancier rooms but it's not worth it. Here's a photo of the view

I highly recommend staying outside of Fira. It's a huge tourist trap with cruise ships coming in daily. Don't get me wrong, it's a great place to visit for the day or go for dinner but staying there isn't relaxing. We stayed in town after staying at Anastassis and we did not enjoy it.

In Mykonos, we stayed at Kouros Hotel and Suites. The room was fabulous but the view overlooks construction in the port (I think we paid $300 incl breakfast). It was a 10 minute walk from the center of town (a dangerous, windy road) where you can shop, eat and catch the bus to the beach. My husband and I said that if we ever returned, we would find a villa outside of the city and rent a car. A must see: Delos, an island about 20 minutes from Mykonos, has great ruins to visit for the day. Mykonos is more of a party island, Santorini is more romantic. We stayed for 3 days.

In Athens, we stayed at the Athens Gate Hotel (3 days). It was conveniently located and we booked a room with a view of the Temple of Zeus. Very cool. I think we paid $250 US which also included a full breakfast at the rooftop restaurant. You had a view of the Acropolis while eating breakfast. We did the usual tourist stuff but we also went up to the top of a fancy hotel (King George?) for a drink to get a closer view of the Acropolis at night.

If you would like more info, feel free to pm me.

Happy Planning!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone know a good  traveling agent to work with for planning a trip to greece. Alot of the places have a long distance numbers and no 1 800 numbers so how did you contact them?  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Greece is amazing.  You might also want to look into a cruise around the Greek Islands.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    who was her travel agent she went through? Thanks
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hellenic Holidays (it's in New York) that's who we went through
    Oct1201212 Twins born at 34w2d, Allison, 3lb,4oz-Ethan, 4lb7oz, both 16 1/2 inches. Out of Difficulties Grow Miracles BestBuddiesBoy AprilPosseMultiLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    did you get recommended by someone else about them or just found them on your own. I'm orignally from NY so wont be to hard to actually meet with them in person.
    Thanks. Who was the agent your worked with?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    they came highly recommended on here by other brides and then I used them and I have to say our honeymoon was the most AMAZING trip ever! Above and beyond what I ever imagined especially Santorini and Andronis. Petros is the main contact there and he knows his stuff as he is Greek himself and goes to Greece multiple times a year.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My friend used truegreece.com to book her honeymoon and couldnt have been happier.

We are going to Greece and havent booked yet but I think we are going to use Greeka.com. Their prices are a little more affordable than truegreece.com.

You can also build a trip on europeandestinations.com and customize it. I dont know much about the company though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards