October 2013 Weddings

Planning an October 2013 Wedding

HI all I just got engaged to my Fiance a month ago. We are SO excited to be planning a October 2013 wedding on the 18th (a Friday) What are things that we should be doing right NOW!? besides getting the Venue picked out and the date locked in.. anything?!?

Re: Planning an October 2013 Wedding

• I am getting married on October 5, 2013 and I have already booked my venue, photographer and I am in the process of booking a DJ.  I found that some vendors are already booked for next year in my area.  There was a DJ that I really wanted but he already has a wedding that day.  I was surprised because I thought I was looking enough in advance but that is not the case.  I am trying to get all my vendors out of the way now and then focus on dresses, decorations, etc. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

148 Invited
    image 125 Are ready to party
    image 23 Are no fun!
    image 0 Haven't found the mailbox yet
  • We are getting married October 12 2013. I have my venue, Dj and Photographer.  I also have uplighting and a photobooth.  I have asked my bridal party already. Right now I am taking a break.  I am researching vendors like make up artists and STD.   I agree with PP.  When I went to book my DJ I thought we were booking WAY in advance( we booked at the beginning of January).  The two Djs I wanted were both already booked.  Luckily our third was still available!  If it is important to you then don't wait. 
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • I agree with PPs in getting vendors first, and also that if it's important to you, do that first.
    For example I wanted a very specific ceremony location, reception venue, photographer, officiant, and DJ because all of the ones I wanted had emotional meaning so I contacted them first. That wipes out savings pretty quickly, but while we build the store back up I'm still looking around at dress ideas, decorations I like, etc.- things that I can get a good idea of what I like first then go just about anywhere and get it once I'm ready. I have also asked my bridal party, but I did it somewhat early because even though I have my family helping me now, my maids will all still be in college during my wedding so I needed to give them time to save and plan to help me on their breaks. I like having bigger things done early so then you can focus on details later on without stressing.. in addition to just loving wedding planning in general! So the more you can get out of the way now, the more relaxed you will be when it gets closer.
  • Guest list. Do a rough draft of your guest list before picking your venue. You want to make sure you have enough room depending on the size wedding you want and what the minimums are. We have a $5k food minimum, our room holds 480 people and we are inviting 375 people.

But yes I agree with other PPs with findings vendors asap. When we booked out venue (Sept last year) they were already booking into Oct 2013.

• I would start planning.  My Fi and I are paying for it ourselves so we want to know the final budget so we can start saving.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_planning-an-october-2013-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:9023f87a-2264-42be-bd3c-abdf987c1712Post:379da842-91b8-4426-9455-52d0b32041cf">Planning an October 2013 Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI all I just got engaged to my Fiance a month ago. We are SO excited to be planning a October 2013 wedding on the 18th (a Friday) What are things that we should be doing right NOW!? besides getting the Venue picked out and the date locked in.. anything?!?
    Posted by jrobins[/QUOTE]

I feel so far behind the ball... I am looking at Oct 5, 2013 - I have an appt in 2 weeks to look at a venue that will  be where I have the ceremony and reception - and hopefully will be where most of the guests stay ( a lot of out of towners)  I have looked into DJs and looked into other things but need to know what venue I have first  and the rules for the venue... I just got engaged 4/21... it seems like so many people have everything already to go - and I don't even know for sure where my venue is yet - I cant get married before then, and don't want to push it into the following year  but wow - I feel behind eveyone in the planning ... i haven't even figured out my girls yet

~diana
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think you are fine.  Most of us who have a ton planned got engaged before the new year.  Just take your time and do one thing at a time.  You have so much time to go!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    July 2007 Photobucket
    october 2012 Photobucket
  • jrobinsjrobins member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_planning-an-october-2013-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:9023f87a-2264-42be-bd3c-abdf987c1712Post:f013fb79-c031-408f-9151-94c55c692c7c">Re: Planning an October 2013 Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you are fine.  Most of us who have a ton planned got engaged before the new year.  Just take your time and do one thing at a time.  You have so much time to go!
    Posted by shannie11[/QUOTE]

I agree, I have had alot of what I want to do for my wedding day in my head already. We pretty much know the venue for the ceremony and reception now (going to sign the contract tomorrow) and I have my dress ordered. We have our DIY invites already (not sending out till late July 2013) I have lined up one photographer (family member) and am looking at another one. Our venue does all the food, linens, china, chairs for ceremony, tent for ceremony etc.) We won't look into the cake until after the new year I think, that's when we will register also.WHEW!! All thats left that's unplanned is the favors, flowers, dresses and tuxes for maids and groomsmen. I feel pretty confident that I will be WAY ahead of the game.. At least so far. Don't feel as if you are behind though, just take one thing at a time when you have the time, and if it's important then jump on that thing first. I'm finding that planning (of any kind) should have been my profession though :P
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2013-weddings_planning-an-october-2013-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:1925524f-fa8b-432f-a7b5-be486ce756efDiscussion:9023f87a-2264-42be-bd3c-abdf987c1712Post:379da842-91b8-4426-9455-52d0b32041cf">Planning an October 2013 Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]HI all I just got engaged to my Fiance a month ago. We are SO excited to be planning a October 2013 wedding on the 18th (a Friday) What are things that we should be doing right NOW!? besides getting the Venue picked out and the date locked in.. anything?!?
    Posted by jrobins[/QUOTE]

I am looking at Oct 5, 2013.  I have meetings at 2 venues next weekend to make sure that I like the rooms in them - I am leaning towards one more than the other - but dont want to set my heart on a place and not have a back up to look at should for some reason i not like it once i see it.

After I have my venue I can finally start on other things -
    I am not having a photographer - I do want a videographer though.. so that and my DJ will be up next after I finalize a venue. 

After that i am thinking it will be onto the save the dates and invitations -- and deciding who is in my bridal party (having a very hard time deciding on who )
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am doing October 6th, 2013, and I've already locked down a venue for the ceremony and reception. That was a huge stress relief off the bat. My photographer and hair/makeup is close to being booked, too. I have a dress but am still shopping (the dress was too good of a deal to pass up and I really love the color!) for one. So I guess I'm on the ball, lol. It makes my planning a lot more fun since I don't have to worry about where the fun times will be. It also helps that my FMIL and FSIL are awesomely helpful and have been really supportive of me joining the family. 
  • Oct. 5 2013 is my date, my FI and I got engaged in Feb.  We have the ceremony/reception site (DJ comes with) photographer and some decorations.  I would say vendors first, our guest list is almos done, we have our cake topper and our champagne flutes, and  we have asked our bridal party, and we keep buying things here and there, we would rather buy a little at a time than a ton at once.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards