Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Enough Appetizers for Everyone?

When my fiance and I originally met with our venue, they suggested if we are having 150 people at our wedding, we can get 75 of one appetizer and 75 of another appetizer to create more variety. So for the same price, we can either get 150 of 2 types of appetizers or 75 of 4 types of appetizers. There is logic to this because not all 150 people will want to eat the same thing, so if we have 4 choices, then hopefully we will have 2 things that each person likes. 

Now our venue is saying they do not recommend doing that. To me it just seems wasteful to buy 150 of something when you know many will be wasted. What is more important, having enough of only 2 things for everyone, or having more options so each person will hopefully find somethng they like? Help, please. :)

Re: Enough Appetizers for Everyone?

• lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    It's better to have 2 options everyone can have then 4 options only 1/2 can have.   

Think of it this way say you have some shrimp cocktail (normally pretty popular) as one of your options.  The first 75 people get the shrimp cocktail.  Then says "boy that shrimp cocktail was great, you should try it"... the other 75 people are going to say "what shrimp cocktail all I saw was carrots?"  

Sure some people will not eat both, but it will balance out because someone will take 2 of the same one.

eta - had my amounts wrong.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What are the appetizer options that you are considering?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • edited December 2011
    I think if you pick two very popular apps that's the way to go b/c if an app is good, people don't normally have just one either.  Remember a vegetarian option (not necessarily crudite but like veggie spring rolls or something) if you have several vegetarians.  Otherwise things like shrimp cocktail, meatballs, pigs in a blanket, mini quiches, all are popular options (if you have them).
  • edited December 2011
    I have no clue what kind of appetizers we will get. My fiance and I both have very simple tastes and I've never even heard of most of the appetizer options! ;) I'm torn because I've heard you should choose the menu for your wedding based on the foods you like to eat so it's very personalized, however, I'm not sure how my guests would feel about mini pizza appetizers. 
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you for all for your advice and suggestions! Okay, so saying I haven't heard of most of these foods is an exageration. I've just never eaten most of them, so I have no idea if I will like them. I'd love some input about which would be good (keep in mind my fiance is allergic to all fish/shellfish and my best friend is  a vegetarian and I hate mushrooms). Here are some options:

Hot 

• Pecan Coated Chicken with Orange Sauce
    • Chicken Sate with Thai Style Peanut Sauce
    • Miniature Crab Cakes
    • Mushroom Caps Stuffed with Crab or Veal
    • Deep Fried Artichokes Hears with Crabmeat
    • Potsticker with Sesame Soy Sauce
    • Peking Duck or Vegetarian Spring Rolls with Sweet & Sour Sauce
    • Shrimp Tempura
    • Assorted Mini Pizzas
    • Smoked Chicken Quesadillas
    • Wild Mushroom Tarts
    • Fried Ravioli with Spicy Salsa
    • Chicken or Beef Empanadas
    • Spanikopitas
    • Baby Lamb Chops with Dried Cherry Chutney ($1.50 additional per person)

Cold

• Large Gulf Shrimp or Cajun Prawns with Spicy Cocktail Sauce
    • Potato Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
    • Flank Steak filled with Artichokes, Spinach, Red Peppers and Parmesan Cheese
    • Chilled Asparagus Spears Wrapped in Ham
    • Artichoke Hearts filled with Shrimp Mousse
    • California Roll
    • Smoked Sturgeon Mousse with Beluga Caviar on Crostini
    • Smoked Chicken or Shrimp Mousse on Garlic Rubbed Crostini
    • Chocolate Dipped Strawberries

• edited December 2011
    Lol....cajun "prawns."  (Sorry, I just think your venue's phrasing was funny; no one in Louisiana would ever call a jumbo shrimp a prawn). 

I'd go with the duck/vegetarian spring rolls, chicken satay, shrimp/prawn thing, and spanikopita if you choose four. 

• edited December 2011
    Our caterer is actually doing less of each appetizer. He recommended having enough apps so that each person could have 6, since it's a Friday evening wedding with the reception right after (basically after work). He is giving us something like 8 or 9 appetizers (I don't recall what), and he said that they multiply the quantity (6) by the guest count (80) and then divide that by options (let's say 8), and the final number is the quantity that they'll prepare. Being a picky eater myself, I am all for this! This way I can have options that I'll eat without subjecting everyone else to my desire for boring foods. I'll be happy with our chicken satay, for example, while everyone else can have things that are a little more interesting.
  • edited December 2011
    My choices, given the allergies and food restrictions you noted:
    Peking Duck Springrolls
    Fried Ravioli with spicy salsa
    Smoked Chicken Mousse on garlic rubbed crostini
    Asparagus wrapped in Ham
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards