Wedding Party

Dog as a Flower Girl?

13»

Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?

• Thanks they are my world! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:e4259045-b21f-4735-875d-6ad13934f765">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]haha wow so its turned to me getting attacked! All these posts make me so happy that that i live where i live! my one golden is 5 years old and the other is 2 years old and since they were big enough to go places with us they have rode in the back of my FI truck. They ride dirt roads with us, they go to dinner in town with us(and sit on the tool box while we are in a resturant), while the truck is in motion my dogs are smart enough to get down and ride in the back and enjoy the wind in their ears. And to call someone stupid for the things they do make you ignorant... I would never imagine critcizing someone for the way they raise their kids until i have tried it myself.  I live in a farm town where dogs ride in the back of the trucks and ride tractors with their owners and they are safe as safe gets. you dont hand a loaded gun to a person that has never held or shot one, same concept you dont put a dog that hasnt been taught the safe way to do things in the back of a truck and hope for the best... I love my backwood ways and the simple life where my dogs can enjoy being in a wedding and feeling the air in their ears and the water between their paws!
    Posted by bridestone[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I had no idea it was just a matter of the dogs will to not go flying out of a car/truck if you had to suddenly swerve or slam on the brakes.</div><div>
    </div><div>I can't believe you claim to love your dogs and say you are proud that you put them in danger everyday.

</div>
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Yes, clearly I am jealous of someone who is an irresponsible pet owner. Whatever will I do with my animal that I don't leave in my car all the time or allow to ride in the back of a truck without proper restraint or thought to its safety.

You caught me. I'm totally green.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:c4ae30ae-b4fa-4690-b8d6-3e6180a47ea6">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ooo i sense some jealousy... thats not justifying my my arguement its justifying why i dont care that my dogs jumps in a pond and runs arounds wet... this is a total waste of energy and i the whole reason i started posting was sticking up for the poor girl just abt everyone attacked for her not having a leash on her dog and her dog being in her wedding and somehow i am being critcized for every little thing i say.. so for all your <strong>bridezillas</strong> you need to calm down and concentrate on your own wedding and stop being so uptight and like i said<strong> if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at al</strong>l!!!! god bless
    Posted by bridestone[/QUOTE]

<div>Again you contradict yourself.  </div><div>
    </div><div>No one is attacking you for having your dog in the wedding.  We are upset that you are irresponsible dog owners.</div><div>
    </div><div>And who do you sense jealousy from?</div>
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:1a0ab31a-a09f-4f82-9288-ddfa2a6d3ec7">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog as a Flower Girl? : Again you contradict yourself.   No one is attacking you for having your dog in the wedding.  We are upset that you are irresponsible dog owners. And who do you sense jealousy from?
    Posted by blackfire5th[/QUOTE]

It's me blackfire, because I don't find having a $40,000 wedding a fabulous excuse to be irresponsible with pets and leave them unrestrained.
    It's a girl!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:23b19dcb-70cc-447e-a121-271674e1d0b9">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea a lot of ppl put the idea down bc my dogs are huge! and my dogs are obcessed with water and im getting married in front of a pond! but im willing to take the chance of my dog running through everyone and jumping full force into the pond! lol i think it would be so funny!!!! and i know everyone would laugh as well! it it makes me happy just knowing that my dog will be apart of the most special day of my life! i would have all three there but the other two are little too hyper to be there and with one of them weighing over 100 pounds it would be a little hard to keep him calmed down! he loves ppl and would just go crazy licking everyone!  ppl can so up tight and rude and you just have to brush it off and move on! as for leash laws i dont live in the city and there is def no leash laws and no laws against guns being shot in the front yard! <strong>if i lived in the city i would keep them on a leash bc ppl are just plain rude and dont care and run over a dog in a heart beat!</strong>
    Posted by bridestone[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>So, because I live in a major metropolitan area, I'm "plain rude" and have no problem running over pets?  And later, YOU whine about being "attacked".</div><div>
    </div><div>I think it's rude to assume that people are "uptight and rude" for potentially being upset because an unleashed dog came up and "went crazy licking everyone".  Show some f-ing empathy.</div><div>
    </div><div>I put my greyhound on a leash because it's the responsible, adult thing to do, for both me the pet owner AND my dog.  Leash laws are just logical, and I'd act the same even if I didn't live in the big mean city.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm going to recuse myself from the rest of this, considering I don't feel like arguing with a person who somehow feels pride in the ability to have a gun shot in their front yard.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:9f2185a0-1176-4557-981c-f824059fba34">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Dog as a Flower Girl? : It's me blackfire, because I don't find having a $40,000 wedding a fabulous excuse to be irresponsible with pets and leave them unrestrained.
    Posted by Licia&Wayne[/QUOTE]

<div>Oh, and I'm soooo jealous that I won't have a dog getting pond water all over my nice clothes at the beginning of an evening.</div>
    bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:a1d6ab12-7c54-4178-863e-220cfd5767d2">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A wedding isnt supposed to be so uptight! the $40,000 i have spent to put this outdoor wedding together is going to be the way I want it! i dont care what happens and if my dog wants to get wet so be it! if he wants to shake all over my 6,000 dollar gown then so be it! at least i had fun!

I love dogs and I'm all for having one be part of the wedding if it's done responsibly, but as a guest I would not be happy if the dog got wet and sprayed all over me in my nice clothes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:3dbfa5a5-77af-4724-91a6-57974fefc6ea">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]wow so i was reading all this posts on this subject! i didnt think it was that big of deal! its not a bad idea if its thought through and obviously you have thought it through if your considering your pet being in your wedding! so with that being said its YOUR wedding and as fellow brides we should support your idea of a perfect day! and give you our opinions repectfully! follow the old rule if you have nothing nice to say then dont say it at all!  maybe thats just my deep southern hopitality but it seems like all these other fellow brides are being kind of rude... We as women sometimes have an idea in our minds that we are going to do regardless of what others think we just sometimes want other opinions anyways! Here in the south animals are a big part of the family! <strong>i have two golden retrievers(who are never on leashes and ride in the back of my fi truck and even on the tool box) and a boykin spaniel(who is used for hunting and is never ever on a leash) this does not make me a bad dog owner! </strong>my dogs are spoiled rotten and go to the vet when they are supposed to and get scraps from dinner on a regular. <strong>I have had a dog get run over just four mths ago and it sucked but guess what accidents happen... you just pray your animal is smart enough to not do wrong</strong> just like ppl with kids hope and pray that kids dont do wrong and get themselves hurt. you do your best to keep them safe! WIth all this being said i think you have thought your decision through of having your child(dog) in your wedding and its a great idea! and having her as a fg is perfect! its very cute and they have tons of stuff out there you can put on her to make it all that more special! Im not close to my dad and if i could i would have my dog walk me down the aisle!! i am excited for you to have your dog in your wedding!

It makes you a horrible pet owner to put your animals in the back of a truck.  What happens if you have to slam on your breaks and they go flying?  That is horribly unsafe. 

"Accidents" wouldn't happen if you would have kept your dog on a leash.  Dogs do not know better than to run in the road.  They do not have the brain capacity like humans do.  When I was a child, I had a lot of dogs run over because my parent's are irresponsible pet owners and didn't lease their dogs.  They thought because they were in the country they were safe.
  • wow, I left for a while, and holy cats...different things happen in different places.  I for one, take my dog boating with us all the time, she has taken a ride in the back of a truck as well.  She has also been on a bike and sledding with us, she even goes down slides.  There is a pond where we are getting married and to be honest I wouldn't care if she went in there.  I don't think she would as she has never been into water much.  As for a dog getting hurt more in the truck bed, I saw a dog who was in the front seat of a car and the guy slammed on his breaks and the dog cracked the windshield...so does that mean I shouldn't allow my dog to sit on the seat next to me when I drive?  Accidents can happen anywhere.  I've seen dogs on leash get run over too.  But I will still walk my dog.  I would assume most people still take their kids for walks even though they could fall on the cement and skin their knees or something like that...there is no way possible for us to live in bubbles to be safe from everything.  I love my dog, but I would rather she gets to do the things she enjoys instead of me being so selfish that I want to keep her from playing in the world.
    Anniversary
  • I disagree with all of these ladies.  If you love your dog then he/she should be in your wedding, after all it is your day.  If people question you, try not to listen.  Also, it sounds like your dog is very well trained and I think it would be adorable.  Who cares if people have done it before? Actually all that does is prove it can't be that bad of an idea.  Its your wedding do what makes you happy :)
  • As for a dog getting hurt more in the truck bed, I saw a dog who was in the front seat of a car and the guy slammed on his breaks and the dog cracked the windshield...so does that mean I shouldn't allow my dog to sit on the seat next to me when I drive?  Accidents can happen anywhere.  

That is why there are seatbelts designed for dogs.  If a seatbelt is there to keep you safe, why would not extend that safety to your beloved pet.

Yes, accidents do happen, but certain ones can be prevented with certain precautions.

I've seen dogs on leash get run over too. 

That is so sad!  I am so sorry you had to witness that.  I am curious as to how it happened.  Did the animals get away from it's owner?  Was the owner walking next to the street and giving the dog enough range to be in the street?  Did the car loose control and run onto the sidewalk/park, etc?

I would assume most people still take their kids for walks even though they could fall on the cement and skin their knees or something like that

skinned knee (or something like that) =/= killed dog

there is no way possible for us to live in bubbles to be safe from everything.  I love my dog, but I would rather she gets to do the things she enjoys instead of me being so selfish that I want to keep her from playing in the world.

I completely agree with you.  However we do things everyday to help keep us safe, such as wearing our seatbelts, or using other protective equipment.  Things like rock climbing are a great rush and a lot of fun, but climbers wear harnesses to keep them safe. 

Many of us are upset that someone has taken responsibility of an animal, but for some reason is refusing to seek measures that would prevent accidents from becoming tragic.  

bio
  • WOW.

To the OP, it does sound like you've thought everything out.  Some people may not like it and you have to understand that just like this is important to you, those people may think that a dog in the wedding is flat out inappropriate.

To anyone who puts a living creature to ride in the back of a pickup truck:  SHAME ON YOU.  A friend of my husband's is a paraplegic and his injuries are 100% preventable as he sustained them on a country road while riding in the back of a pickup.  Saying you do that makes me quite angry.  Justifying it baffles my brain.

And to bridestone, these forums are about sharing ideas, offering critiques and building internet friendships.  They're not a support group.
  • A dog in the back of a pickup truck is exactly the same thing as a baby in car with no carseat.  A projectile when and if an accident occurs.
  • Thanks George and Erin...and in responce to someone who said I was looking for validation, if you read my first post, I was asking what to say to people who are so against it. Not to have it turn into how so many people ar bad pet owners because they don't live their life to the same level that you do.  My dog has met everyone who will be at our wedding, she in fact has sat on all their laps...no one has allergies to dogs, no one is scared of her.  In fact my cousin who is walking her down, is so excited that he gets to walk the dog down, and he tells everyone!  When I go visit my family, she comes with.  I have regular play dates for her with family and friends.  My dog is well traveled.  When I go to my mom's I often say something like taking the kids to grandmas.  My dog is like a child to me, that is probably why I take her almost everywhere with me.  If I could I would take her to work with me.  And I couldn't imagine getting married without my dog there.  My FI feels the same way.  We are going to do it, but again, my question was what do I say to the people who don't like the idea.  But based off all of this, I"m just not going to tell people anymore. 
    Anniversary
  • Smith, in your situation you can say, "I understand that this won't work for larger weddings, but we have plans in place for all issues that may arise and she's been personally involved with each of our guests."

Just know that what you're doing doesn't work for all situations.

And please understand, those critiquing your situation are looking out for you AND your animal's best interests.  I do hope you can see and understand that.

Some parents will not always do things with the best interests of their children in mind and dog owners aren't an exception.  
  • Obviously you're going to do what you want to do and nothing anyone says will convince you otherwise.  Therefore, my only suggestion is this:

If you insist on having your dog as your FG, be very careful not to choose flowers that are toxic to pets.  Nothing ruins a wedding faster than a dead dog.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • wow Lisarose7...did anyone ever say that my dog will be carrying flowers down the aisle?  If she were to, which she isn't, my flowers are fake...but seriously so many people have totally passed over the part from the begining where I say what should I say to people who are against it?  I never once asked for validation or for for anyone to talk me out of it.  Plus its my wedding, not yours, I can' have my dog be my maid of honor if I want...I was ONLY asking for what I should say to people about it.  And thank you to those who actually read that part of my posts!
    Anniversary
  • Yes, you an do whatever you want.  But people are trying to give you opinions on why it could possibly be a bad idea.
  • Smith - Seriously if they say something against it just tell them:
    "Yep you might think it is weird; however FI and I have thought this through and we would seriously regret it if she were not in the wedding. Everyone is different. We are so excited and happy to have her in the wedding with us that outside opinions just don't matter." 
    Anniversary
  • PLEASE put a seatbelt on your dogs. If you really love them as much as you say (both OP and bridestone), then you wouldn't ever have them in the back of a pick-up or the front seat of a car. Just like a person would go flying in an accident, so is a dog. Doggie seatbelts are like $15 at Petco, it's not exactly a financial hardship...especially for you, little miss $40,000 wedding (which again, why did you bring that up?).

OP, if you don't tell people about your wedding plans, they can't comment. Either accept that what you're doing is weird to a lot of people and just smile when they tell you not to (which, if your responses here are any indication, you're not going to do) or don't tell them that you're going to do this. Problem solved.

What IS still a problem, however, is having what are called tiered invites. It's one thing to invite only immediate family - parents, siblings and maybe grandparents - to the ceremony and everyone else to the reception. But inivting more than that and then having a big party afterward makes it look like you don't want to share the truly special moment of your wedding with everyone else, you just want to invite them to a party and hope they'll bring you a gift. Whether or not that's how you intend it, that's how it comes across.
  • How is a 90 person ceremony intimate but a 110 person ceremony obtrusively large?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_dog-flower-girl?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:1e8df461-bd7a-427b-8444-ca512c3925e4Post:3657f793-ffad-4df8-86f7-1300308e01f2">Re: Dog as a Flower Girl?</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is a 90 person ceremony intimate but a 110 person ceremony obtrusively large?
    Posted by banana468[/QUOTE]

I was wondering the exact same thing...
  • Wow, do you want me to tell you everything that we are doing in our wedding so you can cut it down? I'm sorry I ever posted anything on here...and I'll have to see if I ever post anything else...I'm glad that I don't know you, or have to invite you to my wedding, you would only ruin it for me.  Everything about this post has become negative towards my wedding...since when is there a rule book on how you have to do weddings?  All of you have been worse than the people who are coming to our wedding and think we are doing it wrong. 

Anniversary
  • There is a rule book. It's called etiquette. You don't have to follow it, but it's a good idea to know the rules so that if you choose to break some you're prepared for the consequences (ie. people potentially thinking you're rude) rather than being surprised and hurt by a reaction you don't expect.

Generally, it's considered rude not to invite people to witness the ceremony - which is the really special part of the day - and only invite them to the reception, unless you're having a super intimate ceremony, which you aren't. It can come across as I previously said, that you don't think people are special enough to see you get married, but they're welcome to come to your party and probably feel obligated to bring a gift. 20 more people at the ceremony or fewer people at the reception isn't something you'll notice on your wedding day, but you will notice if those people get upset about not being included in everything.

Obviously you don't have to change your plans. We're internet strangers, and you can ignore us. But we are telling you possible - and probable - reactions from people you know and care about, and you might want to take those into consideration when finalizing your plans to avoid offending your friends. You say it's normal in your circle, so maybe it's fine, but I would think it was really weird to be invited only to your reception and probably wouldn't go.
  • Woo-hoo!  Page 4!
    bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards