Florida-West Coast

Reception Dilemma...

My fiance and I are inviting around 300 guests to our ceremony but cannot afford to invite them all to the reception.  The reception is going to be held on the same grounds as the ceremony... how do we get around offending people when they see the reception being set up as they leave?  We thought about having a small cake and punch reception right after the ceremony and then have the dinner reception later but then the wedding ends up being an exhausting all day affair.  Any one have any insight on this issue?  I would appreciate any creative ideas or suggestions!

Re: Reception Dilemma...

• babybchbumbabybchbum member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Invite less people to the ceremony. Honestly it would be very rude to invite 300 people to the ceremony and request 1/2 of them not come to the reception.

OR

You could invite all 300 to the reception and offer hors de vours rather than a full plated meal. If you have youre reception starting around 4 people won't expect a meal.
  • M1ssJM1ssJ member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Agree with PP, dont invite all 300 and ask some to leave even though it may be axhausting the cake/punch with a dinner reception may be the way to go
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-west-coast_reception-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:62Discussion:0cbe0332-e00e-4393-bdfa-03eca050cae9Post:c21190d2-a17e-4b73-a661-2cd6477e73f2">Re: Reception Dilemma...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Invite less people to the ceremony. Honestly it would be very rude to invite 300 people to the ceremony and request 1/2 of them not come to the reception. OR You could invite all 300 to the reception and offer hors de vours rather than a full plated meal. If you have youre reception starting around 4 people won't expect a meal.
    Posted by babybchbum[/QUOTE]

THIS.  It is extremely poor taste to invite certain people to the ceremony and not the reception.  There is no polite way to ask people to leave your wedding.  If I was one of your guests who "didn't make the cut" I would be mortified and extremely hurt.  That's a surefire way to offend a large quantity of people you care about. 

Your budget should be based around the number of guests.  Therefore, if you can't afford dinner for all of your guests then you decide whether to cut out dinner or cut the guest list down.  Period.
    Brooke + Chavis
    est. 10/10/10

Photobucket CafeMom Tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/ PPs  We are doing a hors de vours and beer/wine/siggy drink to cut costs during the reception! Cool
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
    181 image
    Invited to the Celebration of the Year
    109 Yes image
    50 Missing Out! image
    22 Not Responded Yet image
  • CJTeacupCJTeacup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, i would be VERY much offended if i was asked to leave right after the ceremony. There is no way  to politely say it.
    And what is the point of inviting to one place but not the other? Either have them all without a reception, or have just a few and invite them to celebrate with you.

Yes, it is extremely rude!
  • edited December 2011
    All of the above.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011

oh goodness please don't do that. have coffee and cake with everyone and go to an intimate dinner later on in the evening.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards