April 2012 Weddings
Options

Ugh- Vent!

So FI's mom had a series of strokes last summer that she has made an amazing recovery from, but have left her little bit limited.  She had to move in with FI's twin sister in Albuquerque.  She refuses to fly in for the wedding, which is fine, but we have struggled finding a solution to getting her, his sister, and FI's 2 sons out here.  We looked at trains, but it would cost more one way than plane tickets would.  So now, we've decided that the best solution is for them to rent a van and drive out, we would pay for the rental and gas for them.  His boys will stay with us once they are here and his sister and mom will stay in a hotel.  His sister wants FI to fly out there and drive here with them, but is fine with driving home by herself at the end of the trip.  I don't like the idea of him flying out three days before the wedding then driving cross country...with the schedule they are looking at, they would probably get here around midnight before our 11 am rehearsal, and I know FI would do the bulk of the driving so he would be exhausted.  He keeps telling me that its a "twin thing" and I can't understand and that she wants to hang out with him for a couple of days.  Neat.  I thought that that was the reason that we weren't taking a honeymoon- so that we could hang out with all of the family that will be in town after the wedding.  This way, all of the last minute details are going to completely fall on my shoulders, not to mention the worry about him travelling.  His mom, out of nowhere, called one of his nearby cousins and invited her to come out with them and implied that FI & I would pay for their hotel as well.  Cousin called FI and said that she and her husband would be willing to drive out with his sister, which would be great because then they could share the driving responsibilities. We were talking it over today, when he told me that they were expecting us to pay for their hotel room as well. I don't mind paying for his sister and mom, because that is the price to have them there. He isn't that close to his cousin, but now she's trying to guilt him into paying for their hotel, and his mom can't understand why it was wrong for her to tell them that we would have no problem paying for it. We have a lot of family members that we would like to have there, but that we understand that travel and accomodations add up and aren't in everyone's budget; I don't feel like its fair that we would pay for his cousin and not other people. Its pretty much a lose-lose situation, I look selfish for putting my foot down about him leaving right before the wedding and he feels bad about letting his sister down and feels guilty for not helping his cousin out. Frustrated!

Re: Ugh- Vent!

• Options
    And I hate that this is all just now coming up.
  • Options
    Oh man that is all terrible! It was definitely wrong for your FMIL to assume you'd pay for people's rooms. You need to decide if you can afford that or not, and if it's worth the trade off I guess, but still, I'd be fuming if FMIL said something like that! 

We did have a similar issue, but it was nipped in the bud. When she and FI went to his cousin's wedding (FMIL's brother's daughter), all of the rooms were paid for at the RITZ! She said we needed to pay for all of the family rooms because that's what was done at that wedding. Her brother is loaded, and we are not! I couldn't believe she thought we'd be paying for everyone! We put our foot down and said no, so she offered to pay for their rooms. Whatever. 

Also as for transport, what about a Greyhound bus?
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    We thought about a bus, but they need to be able to stop frequently for FMIL.
  • Options
    Ok so yeah, I don't understand why if FI's twin sister is ok with driving back with their mom alone that she insists your FI fly out there to drive back. If she can drive back alone (and I mean her doing the only driving, assuming your FMIL cannot drive), why can't she drive here alone? I mean that drive is going to suck major nuts either way.

I think I would just have FI stay with you, and offer to pay for the extra family members to come/pay for their rooms. Yes it would be an added expense, but then they can split driving duties with FI's sister, and then you get FI staying at your side, and everyone shows up. Win.  

April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    I'm a twin and definitely understand the whole "twin thing" however if you are not taking a honeymoon so you can spend time with family then you've already been more than understanding. It's all about compromise maybe for you it's a good trade off to have him there before the wedding (that would cause me so much stress) and to pay for the cousins rooms. I'd tell FMIL to keep all cost related subjects to herself! It is hard but your FI must learn to choose your feelings over his twin when it matters this much to you Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with Erica - i say offer to pay for the cousin's room (small price to pay for your scanity) and she can help FSIL drive to the wedding and back - this way your FI can stay with you and you'll worry much less.  :)  Not sure if it's do-able, but it sounds like an option!  :)  Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards