Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Help! Any Liberian American Brides??

Hello everyone,
I need your help! Our wedding date is Sept 14, 2012. My fiancé is a 3rd generation Liberian. He pretty much doesn't know anything about his culture- and wants to use the wedding to start to embrace his culture and make his dad proud. I want a traditional modern wedding- and am pretty much against his idea, but willing to compromise. He wants us to wear African garb- I'm not open to changing my dress at all that night. Does anyone have and other, more subtle ideas for us????

Re: Help! Any Liberian American Brides??

• Options
    I just Googled "Liberian Wedding Traditions" and found an article from the Baltimore Sun....clicky.....that mentioned traditional dress, paying a dowry/slaughtering a cow for the wedding feast, and traditional dance.    Maybe you could compromise on the traditional dress (for part of the day, like part of the reception?) and do a few traditional dances, as well as serving some traditional Liberian food?
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Would he be agreeable to wearing the traditional attire for the rehearsal?  Otherwise I'd stick to food and music at the reception.
  • Options
    that sounds like too much for me...i will try googling as well! thanks!
  • Options
    traditional attire at the wedding sounds like a good idea!
  • Options
    My fiance is 1st gen Liberian-American. We are having a traditional American wedding. We are using a liberian DJ and doing the Grand March, like they do at their family weddings. It is also their custom (not sure if it's just their family or if its Liberian custom) to have an informal BBQ the Sunday after our wedding. It's at a park, his family is paying for it, it's pretty much potluck. I'll be wearing a modernized african dress to that. Hope that gives you some ideas!!
  • Options
    wow this sounds like a great idea! i will consider all of these with him. thanks so  much and feel free to keep commenting!
  • Options

CHRISTINASAM - I sent you a PM :)

• Options
    The Bar-b-que is traditon I am first generation Liberan American and we are getting married next year on a friday so the bbq is on sat...I am going to wear a Lapa for the grand march and the family toast but then I will change back into my gown...I think the reception is the beginning of my compromise to realize that marriage will be full of them :)
  • Options
    this is another great idea, i will start looking at some lapas. compromises will come, great advice! thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards