July 2012 Weddings
Options

RSVPs - not a rant!

FI and I went to dinner last night with 3 other couples - to celebrate one couple's 1 year anniversary.  Since 2 of the couples are newley married (within the last year a half), and the other couple is recently engaged, we talked a lot about wedding plans and marital advice.  The discussion turned to me telling the other engaged couple about how hard it is to make the guest list and the troubles of RSVPs, when I mentioned that someone FI's mother wanted to invite is bringing 3 extra guests - the grandmother, their son that is FI's age, and his FI.  FI had been out of town for two weeks, so wasn't here when his mom okayed the situation with me.  He was completely shocked.  He said he hadn't talked to the son since FI moved to AR, which was when he was in middle school.  I think FI will enjoy seeing him, but is completely shocked that he would want to come to the wedding.  It was kind of fun to see FI so surprised about something.

Did anyone else have a surprise guest like that, or someone you were really surprised/excited when you got their "will be attending" RSVP? 

Re: RSVPs - not a rant!

• Options
    BmoreBride311BmoreBride311 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Oh, nice! We had several surprise yes's!

I guess the biggest was on my FI's side. His family had a butler when he was growing up. I know... it sounds crazy, but it was pretty typical in Brazil where they were living at the time. He lived with them for 8 years and became a very big part of their family. My FI's family then moved to another country and eventually the U.S. They tried to bring him with them, but the U.S. government wouldn't give him the entry visa, so they parted ways.

My FI and his family have not seen this guy in 15 years. He is married and has a son now. Well we invited him, but we didn't think he could get a travel visa. When he first tried, they made his appointment to request the visa for this Fall, which is obviously way too late. But then about a month ago we got a call that he was able to get the appointment moved up to June 15th. We got a call from him that afternoon and he was literally crying. They got approved and are coming! My FI was so excited, he then started tearing up. Then he called his parents to tell them, and THEY started crying. It was so sweet to see. I'm really excited to meet this man that my FI has told me is the greatest person in the world for so many years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No extra additions but we got a few surprise 'yes' RSVPs.

My Mom's sister, who we haven't seen in seriously 5 years, is coming to the wedding which is a huge shocker. No one expected her to attend especially since she didn't come for my sister's wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    My best friend from high school! She moved to England about 2 years ago, got married, and had a baby. Then, in quick succession, her visa was denied and her husband went crazy and left. She was stuck in the country. They wouldnt kick her out because her child is a Brittish citizen but she couldn't leave with the baby because that would be kidnapping. She also couldn't work or really do anything. Well a couple of weeks ago she finally got permission to come home! We hadnt even sent her an invitation at first because we knew she couldnt leave but now shes home and safe and coming to the wedding! I'm so excited. She is one of the reasons FI and I are together and it would have wierd to not have her there.

image 180 invited image 145 are ready to party image 35 are missing out image 0! can't find the mailbox rsvp's due back June 20th! Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards