Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Tipping at a pre-contract tasting?

We are going to a tasting tonight for a possible caterer at a local restaurant by our home and we have yet to sign a contract.

Would you tip?  First reaction is yes if we have a server helping us but if it is just the manager bringing out food, then no.

What do you think??

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Tipping at a pre-contract tasting?

• edited July 2012
    You don't tip at a tasting.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tipping-at-a-pre-contract-tasting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:360c8132-4c0b-457c-9d58-302bebf5c59dPost:1e331b7e-ad51-4a91-9746-05cdd1aa73b2">Re: Tipping at a pre-contract tasting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't tip at a tasting.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

I agree. This has been my experience as well...
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tipping-at-a-pre-contract-tasting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:360c8132-4c0b-457c-9d58-302bebf5c59dPost:1e331b7e-ad51-4a91-9746-05cdd1aa73b2">Re: Tipping at a pre-contract tasting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You don't tip at a tasting.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

<div>I know I'm late, but I think it depends on the situation.  </div><div>
    </div><div> We also had a restaurant do our catering.  We absolutely tipped the server at our tasting.  He served us just like every other diner in the restaurant that night.  I would have felt bad for him to wine and dine us just to get nothing at the end of the night.  Unlike the business, it's unlikely he personally would benefit from our business weeks/months/years in advance.  </div><div>
    </div><div>Tastings at catering halls are different.  Their staff generally gets paid a much higher salary than a restaurant server.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_tipping-at-a-pre-contract-tasting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:360c8132-4c0b-457c-9d58-302bebf5c59dPost:a3123b3e-5c9f-49b3-a07f-350d9d15c8af">Re: Tipping at a pre-contract tasting?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tipping at a pre-contract tasting? : I know I'm late, but I think it depends on the situation.    We also had a restaurant do our catering.  We absolutely tipped the server at our tasting.  He served us just like every other diner in the restaurant that night.  I would have felt bad for him to wine and dine us just to get nothing at the end of the night.  Unlike the business, it's unlikely he personally would benefit from our business weeks/months/years in advance.   Tastings at catering halls are different.  Their staff generally gets paid a much higher salary than a restaurant server.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

This situation makes sense to me that you would tip.

At the tasting of my venue - it was actually the owner of the venue who served us, explained the meal, took us on the tour of the venue, etc. We did not tip him. Actually, given the experience, it would have almost been ackward to have tipped him.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I agree if your venue is a restaurant that my answer would change. I wasn't even thinking of that. =(   If there is a waiter at the tasting I'd tip. 
  • OK we did!

Thanks ladies!  He really did not want to take it from us, but we were in his section of tables for a good 2.5 hours and FI was not taking no for an answer.  He seemed genuinely appreciative which made me happy.  He probably was more attentive with us than with many of his other tables, esp because he had to keep bringing us food over and over and over.

Overall, a very good experience!

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I didn't.  Glad you figured out what to do though.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards