Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

When to send Save the dates and Invites?

I'm planning a destination wedding and a local back home reception.  I am confused over how to do the save the dates and invites.  I have a big timeline to work with so that i can save up, and most guests that would be invited to the ceremony in FL would need xtra time too.  I am unsure when to send the Save the Dates to begin. I don't want to do them too early but i want to leave people enough time to make arraingments and save up for it.  I was thinking maybe a yr ahead of time, since i've read up on it a lil and that seems to be the most recommened timeframe I've see, but it seems too soon to send the Save the Dates to those invited to the reception only, but I don't want anyone to feel hurt if all the save the dates don't go out at one time.  I'm sorry if this post is confusing :) but the whole situation is confusing to me...

Re: When to send Save the dates and Invites?

• Options
    We did save the dates for the DW part 8-9 months out. We kind of spread the word that there was also an at home reception. Our invites are going out tonight (hopefully!) for the DW which is in June and in there we will have a note that an at home reception is also planned with info to be coming later. 

We did it this way as I still haven't really decided what exactly we are doing for the AHR. A year seems like a really long time in advance of an event to send out formal info - I'd be worried people would lose or forget about it.
  • Options
    We sent our save the dates out around 9 months before. 

We sent invites about three months before. Normally, I wouldn't send it so soon. However, I have international family members who would needed  ample time to apply for a Visa. It's a little easier to get a visa when you have prof of reasons to travel, such as the wedding invite. 

So I would keep in mind personal situations within your family as well when sending out invites and save the dates. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_when-to-send-save-the-dates-and-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:03dbd419-4076-44b0-88d9-650aa1cdbae4Post:1b6bc0d4-673c-414a-bba5-3fc46b466be2">Re: When to send Save the dates and Invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We did save the dates for the DW part 8-9 months out. We kind of spread the word that there was also an at home reception. Our invites are going out tonight (hopefully!) for the DW which is in June and in there we will have a note that an at home reception is also planned with info to be coming later.  We did it this way as I still haven't really decided what exactly we are doing for the AHR. A year seems like a really long time in advance of an event to send out formal info - I'd be worried people would lose or forget about it.
    Posted by WinoGrrl[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>thank you! yeah I feel like a year does give too much time to give people to forget about it.  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_when-to-send-save-the-dates-and-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:54Discussion:03dbd419-4076-44b0-88d9-650aa1cdbae4Post:59c582d5-3e37-4b29-a192-c2afd1f5761a">Re: When to send Save the dates and Invites?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent our save the dates out around 9 months before.  We sent invites about three months before. Normally, I wouldn't send it so soon. However, I have international family members who would needed  ample time to apply for a Visa. It's a little easier to get a visa when you have prof of reasons to travel, such as the wedding invite.  So I would keep in mind personal situations within your family as well when sending out invites and save the dates. 
    Posted by TerriHugg[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! I don't have any international guests, however I know that most of our guests are in the same financial situation as me so thats one reason I gave myself 2 years to plan and save so those family members that are invited to FL for the ceremony I want to give ample time to for arraingments, and the at home reception will allow us to celebrate with everyone without an imposition. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards