Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions
Options

Appropriate reception music

Need help with music! What's some good wedding music? Most of the attendees are 40-80. We're both 22 and into clubbing, but I don't know if all the music should be club music...

Re: Appropriate reception music

• Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you mean for the reception/dancing part?  We told our DJ to play a little of everything.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah for the reception. I've got the ceremony music down. I told him during dinner to play soft music, but apparently we're supposed to come up with "soft music"...and afterwards for dancing we're supposed to come up with 100 songs! Like isn't this his job?! I'm about ready to say screw it and use an iPod!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your DJ (assuming this is a professional and not a friend) is supposed to be responsible for the selection of music at the reception.  Most DJs will ask for your input and any major requests, but will ultimately play music based on the mood of the crowd and whether or not people are dancing. If you are responsible for selecting ALL of the music, I would consider hiring a new DJ.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our DJ gave us a list of the most requested songs and the most popular songs of the last few years.  He specifically wants to know if there are any of those songs that we definitely do or do not want but ultimately he's in charge.  I would ask your DJ if he has any lists you can go off of. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would be sure that you and your DJ select a wide variety of music that appeals to all of your guests. As you can imagine, if you play all club music, and most of your guests aren't into that type of music or dancing, they wont be on the dance floor. Try bridging the age gap with a few timeless artists, such as the Beatles or Aretha.

Be sure to find a DJ who not only is experienced and knows how to run a reception, but also is willing to take any suggestions or requests that you, your fiance, or your guests may have. This day is about you, so you should be able to personalize it. At the same time, it is the DJ's job to keep people on the dance floor; poor music selections can damper the mood of an otherwise stellar event, so be sure that the DJ isn't making you two do ALL the work.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    Magdala9Magdala9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We asked for Norah Jones, Sting and Jazz standards during dinner.  We asked for Beatles, Sinatra, Ella and a mix of generations for the dancings.   

I was a 40+ Bride.  DH and I was in and/or attended every member of the bridal parties' wedding so knew or asked for their first dance song and included it in the music request to the DJ.  We also had each Mom & Dad's first dance as well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards