Chit Chat

Groom at Bridal Shower?

Hey ladies,

I was making the guest list for my bridal shower and my fiance asked me if he is supposed to make an appearance at any point??  I can see why it would make sense for him to maybe stop by towards the end, but I could also see why he shouldn't... Any help??

Re: Groom at Bridal Shower?

• My son attended his bride's shower but it was because her grandpa had severe alzheimer's, and he helped an uncle take care of grandpa.  They sat on a side of the room where the shower was.

My SIL came at the end of DD's shower, which was nice. 

It's really up to you and your FI.  I tend to think it's a nice moment for the groom to stop in if he's able-either at the beginning or at the end.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • DH was at my shower the entire time. Part of it was that his cousin threw it, under the guise of a "family get together", so there was no way I would have gone to a party for the ILs without him.

But also, for almost 3 weeks prior to the shower, DH was out of state on business. He literally came home the day before, so I wanted to spend time with him ... there were actually a few times while he was gone when I'd say "You know, we really should just skip Cousin's party ... I miss you, and they'd totally understand". Little did I know, lol.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • It's up to you and your FI. MH came at the very end just so he could say hi to his family member that attended. But I've gone to showers that the groom didn't attend.
  • I'm leaving it up to FI.  I've been to several showers where the groom makes an appearance either at the beginning or end but leaves the rest to the ladies, and I've seen one where the groom stayed the entire time.  FWIW, my FI will probably be golfing and skip the entire thing.
  • Entirely up to the two of you.  Mr. Heels' family doesn't like to leave anyone out, so showers are family events, not women only events.  So not only was Mr. Heels invited, he opened presents with me. 

He did not attend my shower thrown by my girlfriends.

I have also been to showers where the FI came at the very end.
  • DH only made an appearance at the end as everyone was leaving.  That was more than he wanted to do but he drives an SUV and I needed help getting gifts home.  If it wasn't for that he would've been perfectly content staying away completely.

It is totally up to the two of you to decide.  In my social circle they are largely women-only events in which the groom appears either not at all or not until the very end. 

• I've never seen a groom at a shower - just not done in my region.  Here it would be seen like the bride is incapable of handling her gifts and she needs her big strong protector paternal MAN to help her do everything.  And we're trying to get away from that stereotype...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_groom-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c4693339-2bd2-4596-8b1c-1dc74c2fdd1dPost:e2850ff4-d8ff-4c39-aa5d-b1252146200e">Re: Groom at Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen a groom at a shower - just not done in my region.  Here it would be seen like the bride is incapable of handling her gifts and she needs her big strong protector paternal MAN to help her do everything.  And we're trying to get away from that stereotype...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

Jeez Kristin, can you possibly EVER make it to the 21st century.  How about that it's a COUPLE getting married.  How about that now men and women BOTH take care of household "chores"?  My SIL was more thrilled with the panini maker and shark floor steamer than my DD was.

My son LOVED the Calphalon frying pan from their shower.  No one I know would possibly read that the bride needed a big strong paternal man to help her rip the wrapping paper off a present.....or carry it to the car.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_groom-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c4693339-2bd2-4596-8b1c-1dc74c2fdd1dPost:e2850ff4-d8ff-4c39-aa5d-b1252146200e">Re: Groom at Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never seen a groom at a shower - just not done in my region.  Here it would be seen like the bride is incapable of handling her gifts and she needs her big strong protector paternal MAN to help her do everything.  And we're trying to get away from that stereotype...
    Posted by Kristin789[/QUOTE]

To each her own. I'm perfectly fine with making DH kill the spiders and take out the trash because it's "man's work".

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_groom-bridal-shower?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:c4693339-2bd2-4596-8b1c-1dc74c2fdd1dPost:a4446acc-afba-49c7-b908-fb977d698a2c">Re: Groom at Bridal Shower?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Groom at Bridal Shower? : To each her own. I'm perfectly fine with making DH kill the spiders and take out the trash because it's "man's work".
    Posted by megk8oz[/QUOTE]

<div>Or scooping the litter box, opening jars, fetching me a glass of water... lol</div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, to answer OP, if my DH had been in town on the day of my shower, he would have come at the end to eat some cake and thank everyone.  That's pretty normal around my area.</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • LOL, meg.  In our house "man's work" is anything to do with plumbing or electricty.  Oh, and my DH actually enjoys mowing the lawn, so I'm a gracious enough wife to let him do it.  =)

But I'm the spider killer~DH hates them with a passion.
  • the only time I've seen grooms show up is at the end to help load gifts in the car, LOL. But it's true!
    Crosswalk
  • Thank you ladies!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards