Ohio-Cincinnati
Options

Getting Married and Dont Know Where To Start

My fiance' proposed 3 weeks ago and ever since then I've been trying to figure out who, what, when, where, and how. Who can I depend on to be in my wedding and if I can trust them to help me? What colors to choose: Fall (since my wedding is during this time) or my own? When should I get the wedding party together to talk and meet? Where should I have my wedding and reception: in a hall, in a church in a hall and a church?? and How in the world will I have everything ready by wedding time???? Do I get a wedding planner? Can I afford one? CAN ANYONE HELP?!?!?! Im pulling out hair over here!!!!!! -_- The day that's suppose to be the happiest of my life is becoming very nerve racking!!!!!!!!!

Re: Getting Married and Dont Know Where To Start

• Options
    I would say the first thing to do is set your budget. From there you will be able to decide if you can afford a wedding planner or not. Most planners these days do a la carte packages so you can use them for as much or as little as you need.

Cincy Event Planning is a great resource - Julie Schmidt's name is everywhere once you start looking around.

I'm having my wedding and reception at The Center in downtown, I've posted about them often, but they had a great location near downtown hotels. I didn't have to worry about transportation for the bridal party, we are walking from the hotel. I'm also saving on a venue fee because I am able to host my wedding there as well. www.thecentercincinnati.com

You will see a lot of people suggest waiting until no sooner than 8 months out to select your wedding party. That way if circumstances change, you don't have to worry about hurting feelings or being in an awkward spot.

Good luck with everything! Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    As PP said, set your budget first. That is going to dictate the rest of your planning. Next, work on settling on your location for wedding and reception. Once you have that, you will have your wedding date in stone and will be able to pull the rest together.

Do you have a wedding date in mind?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The first thing we did was figure out a general guest list. It's hard to look at spaces when you don't know about how many people you will host. After you have that, work on your budget. With your guest count and budget you can start looking at spaces! Find the one you love, book it, and go from there.

One you have your date and venue picked you can go on to other things. Colors aren't an important detail right now. Also I would wait to worry about bridal party, you may feel different about who you want as your engagement continues.

TK has a book out, its blue, and it's basically weddings 101. It's very helpful in the planning process.

Congrats!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-cincinnati_getting-married-and-dont-know-where-to-start?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:108Discussion:f95b3127-de95-47c5-bc08-4114308e8ee6Post:c7f10f37-774f-4223-9ecf-f91fe0dc04f0">Re: Getting Married and Dont Know Where To Start</a>:
    [QUOTE]The first thing we did was figure out a general guest list. It's hard to look at spaces when you don't know about how many people you will host. After you have that, work on your budget. With your guest count and budget you can start looking at spaces! Find the one you love, book it, and go from there. One you have your date and venue picked you can go on to other things. 
    Posted by LizzyRB[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>couldn't agree with this more.  guest list, budget, then venue that you love.  </div>
  • Options
    Budget, guest list, venue, colors, bridal party. Use the Knot checklist, budget & other tools
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I would definitely recommend looking at your budget first, but just as importantly, find a venue with a "built in" wedding coordinator. They do weddings all the time, and they can definitely direct you and help you throughout the planning process. It's stressful at first, but it gets SO much easier once you find the venue...promise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards