Attire & Accessories Forum

I don't want to look like an "old" lady

I'm 27 and I like to think I'm fashionable. My dream wedding is unfolding except for one thing....I have to have my shoulders covered (no sleeves required). We're marrying at St.Anna's at the Vatican in Rome which is more than I could ever dream for. My problem is that all my dream dresses are sleeveless and wouldn't look nice with a bolero...anybody know of any designers that have that wow factor all while having covered shoulders...I just want to be appropriate yet look classic, timeless and fashionable...I'm so lost (oh and the only wedding dress store in town ONLY deals with Alfred Angelo too to make things worse)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I don't want to look like an "old" lady

• mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited October 2010
    Maggie Sottero has a lot of options with boleros:

http://www.maggiesottero.com/collection.aspx?keywordText=BOLERO&keywordType=any&page=0&pageSize=15

ETA: You could alsocheck out www.etsy.com for wedding-type bolero's
  • First of all, congratulations on your fabulous wedding!

Would a lace top be appropriate or a lace bolero?  I love that style.  It's so classic!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Christos has some gorgeous gowns with covered shoulders.

Anniversary
  • I just wanted to say that is AWESOME!!! congrats!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The MS gowns with the boleros are gorgeous and I think it is nice that they are made to match
  • Do you like lace dresses? If so, check out Pronovias.com. They have many dresses with the shoulders covered
  • Check out the spring 2011 dresses from Monique Lhuillier, or even some of the earlier seasons.  There are quite a few elegant dresses with sleeves.
  • CONGRATULATIONS and your wedding already sounds amazing!

Look at http://www.allurebridals.com/allure-modest-gallery.html, they have a whole section of modest gowns.  But if you still don't find what you like after looking at other sites if its acceptable maybe consider a shrug.  Either way good luck!!
  • Sorry I don't know the episode but there was a Say Yes To The Dress where the girl was in the same situation.  They showed a few different options that were very pretty. I tried looking on their website but I don't remember her name.

They showed it recently but it was probably a rerun.
  • Bolero is the way to go to have a young look.  If the dress does not come with one , get extra fabric (has to be same as the dress) and have your alterartion lady make one, keep it short and short sleeve.   The suggestions others gave you for dresses were good.    Have a great trip, you are very fortunate to have such a great location.
  • Mary's Bridal has on almost every dress a pic with and without shoulder coverings.  Sometimes the pix are just spaghetti straps, some are boleros, some are cap sleeves, etc. 

Here is a beautiful dress that has a lace bolero with 3/4 sleeve that would be perfect for Church modesty but gives you the "young" feel.

There are plenty more with this designer, and the dresses look stunning.  I'm probably going to be a PC Mary bride once I go pick my dress this coming December/January.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Veil cov ering it cant be done?
    Anniversary
  • Check Etsy for bolero jackets, there are some amazing ones on there.  Very cute.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_dont-want-look-like-old-lady?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:f7e6f016-7d9c-41ec-9ef6-fa24961b9d50Post:860ec25f-544b-4833-a844-a4977b002c4c">Re: I don't want to look like an "old" lady</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bolero is the way to go to have a young look.  If the dress does not come with one , <strong>get extra fabric (has to be same as the dress) and have your alterartion lady make one, keep it short and short sleeve.</strong>   The suggestions others gave you for dresses were good.    Have a great trip, you are very fortunate to have such a great location.
    Posted by wgown4u[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  Good luck and have a great time.
  • i agree with PP on all their suggestions! congrats on an amazing location
  • I bought a little lace jacket from etsy. It looks fabulous-- has a stand up collar and cute little short sleeves. It looks somewhat Regency. It adds a little coverage for the arms but doesn't age me at all. 
    Photobucket
  • Thank you for all your suggestions. I've never heard of etsy before so a HUGE thank you for that!  I love the idea of having a bolero made from the same material as the dress (I should have thought of that lol) and I've set the PVR to record every single "Say Yes to the Dress" episode...now if I could only convince my fiancée to let me shop there hahaha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check out spazooie.com for all your bridal accessories to include faux fur boleros, wraps, muffs and capes - the prices are great and if you enter promo code "friend" at checkout you get a free gift with purchase.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards