Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

Edit -? for Louise brides too/Tip seamstress?

Did you tip your seamstress if they did a good job? She's out of her home if that matters... Tia!

Edit - I'm just wondering if what I had done if the cost is about average? I asked Louise for a total price just cause I wanted to make sure I had enough cash when I picked up our stuff tomorrow and the total is $185, and this is what we had done:

1.  Hemmed dress
2.  Moved bustle up (I bought the dress from another bride who already had a bustle on it but it was too long for me)
3.  Took in the sides by the boobage
4.  Pulled the fabric so the dress layed more flat, I know she had to move the beading to do this, like it sorta buckled under the boob area and the beading, here's a pic of what I'm talking about before any alterations:

And here is my second fitting where she fixed it some, but she still was going fix a little more as it still buckled a little, but you can tell it's more flat than before:

5.  Did a quick sew on another dress for me, she said she wasn't even going to charge me for this, it was pretty simple.
6.  Took in FI's suit some on the sides.
7.  Hemmed FI's suit pants
8.  Rehemmed two of the the GM's suit pants, to make them longer

Now that I'm done typing that, I'm sure that's a good price, but for piece of mind since I have no clue how much this should all cost, is that a pretty good price for all that?  Louise has been fricken fantastic though, so I'm sure it is!

Thanks for the responses on tipping so far!

Re: Edit -? for Louise brides too/Tip seamstress?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did not. But mine was in the shop where I got the dress, and alterations were pretty pricy to begin with.
  • Options
    plum10plum10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't because my alterations were pricey and technically if they are the owner, they don't get a tip.  There was a seamstress on here that said she didn'te expect one either.  Not everyone who provides services gets a tip...people don't tip nurses.  I think those who are providing services who are making closer to minimum wage should get tips so their pay evens out to a good amount. Not people who are already making 40,000 + or more.   Though I don't know how much seamstresses make, I think reputable ones make a pretty decent amount.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having some of the same questions running through my head as I'm picking up my dress from Louise tomorrow too :)

I think she is incredibly cheap and I almost feel bad paying her what she told me I owe.  Here's what she has done.

For my wedding gown:
    -Hemmed
    -Bustled
    -Adjusted the complicated back/neckline and chest area 
    -Adjusted the two belts that came with the dress (for some reason they didn't fit around my waist even though they came with the dress)
    -Trimmed the flower that came with my dress so that I can wear it in my hair
    -Hand sewed a veil out of part of my FMIL's veil from the 60s

She also tailored my RD dress...and she is charging me $205!

Considering my next door neighbors paid $150 just to have their daughters seamstress press her wedding dress following the expensive alterations I feel like this is a STEAL!

Granted it has taken a lot of visits, but she is a dear and given how stretched my budget feels this is a blessing!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't plan on tipping. I also think that is a GREAT price for what you are all getting done. That def would have been 300+ if you would have got it done @ a bridal shop seamstress!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm probably too late to respond on this, but I practically had to force Louise to take a $5 tip on my $125 dress alterations :)  She negotiated me down from a $15 tip!  Louise is awesome.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards