Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Need an opinion

So my fiance and I will be moving in an apartment together in a couple weeks.  We are getting married July 2010 and I had planned on registering in January.  Now that we are moving in together we need certain things (microwave, pots and pans etc). So I suggested we choose just one store (target or kohls) and start a small registry with those items on it for the holidays.  My fiance thinks this is tacky and doesn't like the idea of having a holiday registry.  What do you guys think?

Re: Need an opinion

• Options
    I'm getting married in March and set up our registries a month and a half ago. I don't think it matters as much when you set it up. On that note, if your FI thinks it's tacky to set it up before the holidays as a "holiday registry" you could suggest to your parents/others that you would prefer household gifts or gift cards. I just had the holiday gift conversation with my dad and carefully hinted that anything on our registry would be a much appreciated gift. His wife tends to have the "my taste not yours" gift-giving mentality and for us this year, our registry was a convenient way to suggest what would be more useful to us. I'm picking something off of my sister's registry for her gift this year. She got married in June and still has a few things on her registry. I think it's great because I know it's something she really wanted instead of something I wanted for her.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • Options
    Yeah, the idea of a holiday registry does seem tacky.  But you can go ahead and set up your wedding registry now, and spread the word that you could use registry items as holiday gifts since you're moving in together now. 
  • Options
    Why not start your wedding registry instead?  No big deal if they don't use it for the holidays, but then you can add to it later on for the wedding.  FYI, there are a lot of bad reviews of the target registry if you look around on here a bit.
  • Options
    I don't like the idea of a holiday registry, but I don't think there is anything wrong with starting your actual wedding registry prior to the holidays. You can always add items later too. You can casually mention that you started a registry to your close family/friends since you're already thinking what you'll need with the impending move and hope they take the hint.
  • Options
    Hit post too soon.  I was going to add, we registered last fall and my family got us a couple of things off the registry as Christmas gifts last year.
  • Options
    We regisitered in September for our May wedding.  I got one of the items off the registry for my birthday from my FMIL and I know she plans to shop off of it for me for Christmas as well.  It doesn't have to be called a "holiday registry". It can be the real deal and if you would prefer gifts from there for yourself, just let people know when they ask.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    My fiance and I aren't getting married until early 2011, but some of our family members have suggested going ahead and starting a registry so we can start getting things for holidays and birthdays. This way, by the time the wedding is over, we will have a lot more of the things we need. We just started our wedding registry on myregistry.com and are using their categories to show which things we wouldn't mind getting for christmas. So  basically I just started the wedding registry, and marked certain things as "holiday" so that people will know which things are ok to give early. Hope this helps you!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_need-opinion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:10496547Post:62810571">Need an opinion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, the idea of a holiday registry does seem tacky.  But you can go ahead and set up your wedding registry now, and spread the word that you could use registry items as holiday gifts since you're moving in together now.
    Posted by Leah&Christian09[/QUOTE]

This.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards