Military Brides
Options

Decorating Ideas... What's your decorating style?!

So FI made it to his new station and found a really awesome house (renting) :) .  We've been talking about how we're going to decorate.  He's going to make some furniture but he keeps asking what style I want to decorate in, but I'm not really sure.  I know what I like but I try to look things up online and nothing seems that awesome.   I'm not much of a decorator.  It's fun, but I've never really been able to do much due to where I've rented and what not. 
It will be a long time since I'm still in the Anchorage area.  Not sure when I will move up there, but it's still fun thinking about it :) ...
SO ... What's your decorating "style"?  Where do you like buying decor?  Are you a DIYer? Have any pictures? If so,  POST 'EM :) lol...
Or do you have a dream house? dream kitchen? dream anything

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Decorating Ideas... What's your decorating style?!

• Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I like Houzz.com for inspiration. I have a couple old Soviet Anti-Nazi propaganda posters that I decorated our current living room around. I guess that's my style. American Pickers style stuff, lol. I used to always have a huge map of the world, and will likely buy another, better one next year for our guest room.

I'm jealous of anyone who lives somewhere BAH is enough to rent a house. In this area (San Diego County), while H's BAH is decent, it's not enough to get a decent house at all. But, we're moving this week into a large apartment, and I'm psyched. I can't wait!

Some of my favorite photos from Houzz.

That's a staircase/bookshelves

This next one is from Young House Love, who I used to read all the time, but now don't.

I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love finding idea's on Pinterest. :) I tend to be more of a whatever looks good type of girl. I like things to be simple, but elegant, but classic, but homey. Lol - that probably made zero sense. I tend to lean more towards the antique, country, wine type of feel. I've been decorating since we bought our house at the end of April and it really is a never ending project - as soon as I think I'm done - I find something else I want to fix/change/do.
    Here are some of my favorite pictures from pinterest. (none which really reflect what our house currently looks like just more or less what I'd love our dream home to look like)

The site really has some great ideas for storage and little fixes I never would of thought of otherwise. It can be pretty addicting.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wish, don't you find it weird that TK put you in the Orange County area? I'm in San Bern., and they also have me listed as OC, too... Just an observation :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Stan -  Love all of that.  I really like the map.  So cool!  I think that's what my style is like too.  Maybe a cross between that and a little country.  My parents house was country/ranch style (but not over top) and patriotic.  My mom LOVES antiques. 

OH and FI got lucky finding a house that his BAH covers.  Up here everyone is leaving for winter (a lot of people come here for summer then leave, kind of crazy) and nobody is coming up here unless it's for military reasons so finding a house was actually easy and he had an advantage because renters were willing to negotiate.  So he found a really awesome house.  I got on to him for procrastinating, but it turned out to be a good thing.

AMH - I like your stuff too.  I like to the simple, cozy feel of a home. 
    I just got on pinterest so I'm still trying to figure it out lol. 
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_decorating-ideas-whats-decorating-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:b20cc94c-2c98-4e11-9038-1aff7df4690ePost:69d4cd1d-acc0-4055-b2cb-cc9ff458aed4">Re: Decorating Ideas... What's your decorating style?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wish, don't you find it weird that TK put you in the Orange County area? I'm in San Bern., and they also have me listed as OC, too... Just an observation :)
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

<div>I lived in SB for a year! They should have put you as IE!</div>
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_decorating-ideas-whats-decorating-style?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:b20cc94c-2c98-4e11-9038-1aff7df4690ePost:b309930b-f6ed-4083-aec0-ba115a821252">Re: Decorating Ideas... What's your decorating style?!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Decorating Ideas... What's your decorating style?! : I lived in SB for a year!<strong> They should have put you as IE!
    </strong>Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

I know...weird! I guess the IE is just not cool enough. Ha ha!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've already posted these, but here's pics of my room.  I DIY'd pretty much all of it..

Before:

After:

Here's my dresser:

(it was just plain white before.. I took off the molding and painted it black, and used toile wallpaper on the face of the drawer)

Here's my Bed before:

The finished Product:

(We got that stuffed bear on our Honeymoon!)

Other random ideas and DIY'd Stuff:

(I want to do this sooo bad!! But I think I'm going to do it on a rug first..)

(I'm going to paint this on a big canvas.. cause I love it..)

I could probably go on all dayy..

Photobucket
  • Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is actually a "fight" that's going on is our house right now. I collect a lot a 40s-60s housewears from family/estate sales/thrift shops. I'm fascinated by prints from Liberty of London and English stately homes. I also loooove kitschy or campy things (I'll have to take a pic of my vintage 1960s wire circle chairs that I re-upholstered in leopard print), but have tried to cut down on them to make a more put together house.

FI has taste that is a bit, how shall we put it...fratastic. He bought a Guiness towel (yes,actual beach towel) that he is insistent be hung up on the wall. Because towel=wall hanging. Same with a fuzzy blanket with the face of a tiger on it. It's all just too far to the side of earnest to be making a statement, it just looks like the KA house (and he wasn't in a frat).

We're trying to tie it together, out next home purchase will be a lamp really similar to this, for the living room:

And I want this bed soooo badly:
    http://www.clubfurniture.com/drfaorleuptu.html

Additionally:

• Options
    divinemsbeedivinemsbee member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami-I went on your blog--I wish I was as good at DIY as you are. Also, mini-omelet recipe? Please-and-thank-you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha Thanks! It's super fun.  Crafting is a super fun hobby, the best part is that it doesn't have to be perfect!!  Baking/Cooking relaxes me.. it puts me in my happy place.  I'll post that one, and this AHHHHmazing cookie recipe that I made today.  I don't normally eat stuff that I bake (mostly because it's not on any sort of diet..) but I've had two already... and I'm probably going back for another...Embarassed
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sami, you're way too cool!  I wish I was good at diy stuff too!  I have a diy project.   I hope it turns out ok!   It's an old dresser with mirror (it's huge) that one of FI's friends through into the back of FI's truck along with a bunch of junk as a joke, but I actually really like the dresser/vanity thing.  So I'm going to attempt to make it pretty.  We'll see how that goes.

But really, You're stuff is so cute and creative!  It's inspiring me :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Divine, that's kind of funny.  I was teasing FI about hanging up this xray skeleton I made years ago in an anatomy class.  I did it for a presentation of the skeletal system.  I collected x rays and cut out the parts and put them all together.  It's like 6 feet tall lol.  It's really cool, but FI is like NO You can not hang it up!  LOL.  I really don't want to, but it's fun teasing him. 
    I really like your taste too. I think I'm very eclectic! lol ... this could get interesting lol. 
    FI doesn't really care.  He just doesn't want anything gaudy and I don't either, so we're on the same page with that . 
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami's cookies are delicious... I can attest!  I've had her chocolate chip, sugar cookies, and now pumpkin oatmeal.  Delish!

My style is pretty preppy, for lack of a better word.  I like bold, solid colors that are welcoming and home-y. 

My parents' house is decorated basically the same way, so I'm curious - are your tastes in decorating like your parents'?

These are some of my favorites from Pinterest:

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    C - I LOVE THAT SWING!!  too cool.  But yes, my style is a lot like my mom's style. She loves antiques and I keep finding myself loving anything vintage or antique.   I just don't like really modern or cotemporary.  The furniture never looks comfortable (sorry if anybody likes that style).  I like a nice homey comfy style, that's cute and inviting of course :) .

Here are some things that FI and I really like:

We love this table and FI really wants to make it

A really cute bench made from a headboard and a footboard.  We want a bench near the front door for shoes.

We Really love this table.  FI can build stuff and I think I can paint lol... ( we don't want green.  Not sure what color yet)

Thought this was neat

Like this (minus the rug)

I think I'll stop.... and I found pretty much all of this on pinterest!  You guys are right it's AMAAAZING... now that I get it, I'm hooked. 

Thanks everyone for sharing :) .. it's been inspiring me and I think I'm figuring out my style
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards