Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!

I just wanted to make a thread because I went to my family members wedding this pass weekend at the Alexander Mansion in Garland and it SUCKED! 
1. The people working there were  NOT dressed up for a wedding. Plenty of them had on blue jeans?! It was not professional at all. 
2. The food was nasty and they ran out! They had 2 trays of food. One was a pasta with chicken and the other was meatballs with garden salads. The food was cold and didn't have any seasoning on it. I know some people prefer unseasoned food but WOW, it was tasty. Oh and the punch was sugarless.  
3.The area itself was hard to see, I didn't mind standing and waiting for them to change the room into the reception area but the room was crowded.Oh, did I mention you have to STAND and eat the cocktails.(it lasted about 1 1/2 hours).Plus, the first dance,cake cutting,etc. was hard to see because its on the other side of the room with people standing and sitting in front of you. 
4. My last and the WORST part was that they started cleaning and taking down items an hour ahead of time. Her wedding was from 8pm-12pm and they started taking down the table creations right in our FACES. She took my bow of my chair while I was sitting in it?!They took down the head tables and everything. I was shocked! I called my venue to make sure you don't have to be cleaned up and out at 12am but be finishing up the reception. Sorry, if I seem like a b**** BUT its your freaking wedding day.Just a heads up to you ladies.Good luck!!!!Laughing
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!

• Wow, that does sound pretty lame.

FWIW, I don't know many cocktail hours that have full seating.

Everything else sounds terrible.
    Anniversary

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_the-alexander-mansion-watch-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6cae0e75-58f3-4484-9261-b7a704bca336Post:eaa532f0-3e10-4cf3-bff8-b59c1ee2c578">The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just wanted to make a thread because I went to my family members wedding this pass weekend at the Alexander Mansion in Garland and it SUCKED!  1. The people working there were  NOT dressed up for a wedding. Plenty of them had on blue jeans?! It was not professional at all.  2. The food was nasty and they ran out! They had 2 trays of food. One was a pasta with chicken and the other was meatballs with garden salads. The food was cold and didn't have any seasoning on it. I know some people prefer unseasoned food but WOW, it was tasty. Oh and the punch was sugarless.   <strong>3.The area itself was hard to see, I didn't mind standing and waiting for them to change the room into the reception area but the room was crowded.Oh, did I mention you have to STAND and eat the cocktails.(it lasted about 1 1/2 hours).Plus, the first dance,cake cutting,etc. was hard to see because its on the other side of the room with people standing and sitting in front of you.  </strong>4. My last and the WORST part was that they started cleaning and taking down items an hour ahead of time. Her wedding was from 8pm-12pm and they started taking down the table creations right in our FACES. She took my bow of my chair while I was sitting in it?!They took down the head tables and everything. I was shocked! I called my venue to make sure you don't have to be cleaned up and out at 12am but be finishing up the reception. Sorry, if I seem like a b**** BUT its your freaking wedding day.Just a heads up to you ladies.Good luck!!!!
    Posted by furturekingsbury[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Ditto, Professor.  Also, your cousin may not have realized the set up because she may not have thought to ask, or she approved it without understanding how her guests were going to be blocked out.  </div><div>
    </div><div>I agree that the other stuff was pretty unprofessional, though.  

</div>
  • It's always nice to hear a guest's perspective, though.  I, for example, loved my reception venue, but I have absolutely zero proof that cocktail hour even occurred because I missed it entirely.  =)
    Anniversary

• At my wedding, I'm having a sit down dinner. So, when we go take pictures everyone else will go have their seats and be served appetizers. It was just standing in a crowed small area for over an hour. Plus, she really had too many people for that place,they should have told her in my opinion. But I guess money is more important to some.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_the-alexander-mansion-watch-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6cae0e75-58f3-4484-9261-b7a704bca336Post:ada295a1-9706-471c-8d56-1a8384d46db1">Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!</a>:
    [QUOTE]At my wedding, I'm having a sit down dinner. So, when we go take pictures everyone else will go have their seats and be served appetizers. It was just standing in a crowed small area for over an hour. Plus, she really had too many people for that place,they should have told her in my opinion. <strong>But I guess money is more important to some.</strong>
    Posted by furturekingsbury[/QUOTE]

<div>I have heard of venues overestimating how many people can be *comfortably* held in areas for this reason.  I'm sorry it turned out that way.  She might not have realized that it was going to be set up that way.  =(</div>
    Anniversary

• Yeah, I understand,I was sad for her because I'm sure she wasn't aware anything until after. But I looked at the prices for the manison and they are pretty expensive to have such services.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_the-alexander-mansion-watch-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6cae0e75-58f3-4484-9261-b7a704bca336Post:63a191c9-5d12-499c-892d-4a5abf064228">Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT! : I have heard of venues overestimating how many people can be *comfortably* held in areas for this reason.  I'm sorry it turned out that way.  She might not have realized that it was going to be set up that way.  =(
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

<div>As the prom sponsor, I have had several hotels tell me that their ballrooms are plenty big enough for my senior class only to find out differently.  Thankfully, there was only one time where we were really fooled by the coordinator.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_the-alexander-mansion-watch-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:6cae0e75-58f3-4484-9261-b7a704bca336Post:b45a235f-60a9-4265-b367-70b24a1469ef">Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's always nice to hear a guest's perspective, though.  I, for example, loved my reception venue, but I have absolutely zero proof that cocktail hour even occurred because I missed it entirely.  =)
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]

I will vouch for CityPlace and say that there was most definitely a cocktail hour.

In regard to the OP and the venue running out of food--it is sometimes hard to tell whether that is the case or if the couple just didn't order enough. Was it during the dinner itself or during cocktail hour (if you mentioned it, I apologize)? I will say that we under-ordered on apps for the cocktail hour by about 30 heads to account for any children or no-shows that wouldn't be partaking.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_the-alexander-mansion-watch-out?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:6cae0e75-58f3-4484-9261-b7a704bca336Post:a428dd29-cbf3-4dd0-ad2a-69be1c51c32b">Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Alexander Mansion-WATCH OUT! : I will vouch for CityPlace and say that there was most definitely a cocktail hour. In regard to the OP and the venue running out of food--it is sometimes hard to tell whether that is the case or if the couple just didn't order enough. Was it during the dinner itself or during cocktail hour (if you mentioned it, I apologize)? I will say that we under-ordered on apps for the cocktail hour by about 30 heads to account for any children or no-shows that wouldn't be partaking.
    Posted by courtski2004[/QUOTE]

<div><span style="color:#000000;font-family:Verdana;font-size:13px;line-height:normal;text-align:-webkit-auto;background-color:#eeeeee;">It was buffet style dinner(they served us though) and by the time the last few table got up to go eat, they informed them that the food was gone and they unestimated the amount ready. Nor did they cook anymore or provide anything else to them.</span> 
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards