New York-Hudson Valley
Options

Anyone have a friend ordained and held the wedding in Westchester County?

Hi Everyone,

FI and I would really like our friend to perform our ceremony. He has already called the county clerk where he spoke to someone who was super helpful and told us all we need to do and it's all very simple. We are 99.9% sure that it won't be hassle, but I just wanted to know if there was anyone else who did the same and held their ceremony in Westchester.

TIA!
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.- Dr. Seuss Wedding Countdown Ticker
83 Invited image 32 Attending image2 Declined image Still Waiting 49 image

Re: Anyone have a friend ordained and held the wedding in Westchester County?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i did. very simple!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

So it is as easy as it seems? I just was getting nervous that it seemed way too easy!

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.- Dr. Seuss Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    An ordained friend isn't legally accepted as a ceremony officiant in NYS unless they are ordained by a religious or spiritual group. I would double check with someone.

Pipe down, you had your chance!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks lfml!

We had found the information, actually FI has been really great about tackling this aspect of the planning. Most places to get ordained are ministries and follow the guidelines of NYS requirements. I just wanted to know if anyone else had done it and whether they encountered any snags or if it was as simple as I've found it to be.

Looks like we are good to go :o)
  • Options
    kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I thought online ordinations weren't accepted in westchester or nyc. Maybe it's long island and nyc, but I thought it was westchester.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    online ordinations are indeed accepted in westchester. in fact, like sonita says as long as the ministry the person is ordained by follows the nys guidelines and complies w/ the law, its completely acceptable. we got our marriage license and ultimately our certificate (following our ceremony) from the port chester town clerk. Hope Vespia is very nice, helpful and knowledgeable.

i have been married for nearly a year now - this question comes up a lot on theknot and lots of people are hesitant and slam the idea down (i can understand why) but trust me when i say my marriage is 100% valid. we are both attorneys, did the research, reviewed the law, and confirmed w/ the town clerk before we applied for our marriage license.

go for it, sonita! just make sure the organization is valid before your friend is ordained.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards