Flowers
Options

How hard are hydrangeas to care for?

Hydrangeas (potted plants, not just flowers) are on clearance at Walmart (the blooms on them look to be white/green). The tags said they bloom in Spring, need full sun - which I can provide, our back porch gets sun all day long.

How hard are these to keep alive? I'm not sure if I'm good with plants - I've never tried to grow any! lol. But for $4 each it's not bad, considering they'll have multiple blooms. Oh, and I only need 2 plants, for our venue which has two concrete planters built into the porch.

And our wedding date is April 1st - so they should be blooming then, right? That IS spring... Advice, anyone?

Re: How hard are hydrangeas to care for?

• Options
    PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Save your money, and buy the plants you need when you need them.  Do you really want to go to all that trouble just to save $10?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_hard-hydrangeas-care?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:85c14516-fe1f-49ac-9851-460832479aa4Post:b9cf6d0f-e586-4517-bc4d-e89e3d914c6c">Re: How hard are hydrangeas to care for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Save your money, and buy the plants you need when you need them.  Do you really want to go to all that trouble just to save $10?
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

<div>Well actually I just rarely see them around here - I live in a small town so I don't have much selection for a lot of things, like live plants. That's why I was surprised to see them, let alone on clearance (and looking alive and healthy with blooms).</div>
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I think you are taking your chances by buying them now and hoping that they will be in bloom in April.  If you haven't tried to grow plants before it may be a bit more difficult then just putting them in the ground.  You have to worry about bugs and worms and the amount of sunlight and water they get.  I know that Spring starts earlier in Florida (my parents live there and flowers are always blooming way earlier then they are here) so you may luck out but, to be safe, I would just talk with a local florist about possibly getting in hydrangea plants for your wedding day...they should be able to get them through their wholesaler.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    As a floral designer I tell you this.  Hydrangeas live on water, you can never let them dry out.  They will develop new leaves, but will not bloom again in a house.  they are greenhouse grown.  I'm sure Walmart will have some new ones in the spring, make sure you get them as soon as they arrive in the store because most of the time the staff don't know how to take care of them.  When you get them home, sit the plant in water, check every couple of days, make sure they are always in water, if they don't get enough, the bloom will droop. Bunches Bob 
    Bunches Bob "Have Fun With Those Blooms"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't do it.

If you are an inexperienced gardner, don't risk this at all. The chances of it not working out and your ending up with nothing are high.

Also April 1st can be very early in the spring, depending upon where you live and the particular year. In the north east is occasionally snows at the beginning of April...

If all you need are two flowering plants for your wedding, just buy them closer to the date!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards