Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

Second Line

I have never been in a second line parade, but I know the bride and groom have umbrellas and the guests all have handkerchiefs.  We will be doing one for our wedding. My fiance wants to give throw beads to people to throw at the crowd as we walk by. I am not sure if people normally do this...also, we are giving cool custom beasd as favors. What do you ladies think? To throw beads or not to throw?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Second Line

• Options
    edited July 2012
    If you are asking if its customary, no i don't think so. I vote not to throw the beads. Not that you can't put a twist on traditions, but I just don't think the locals will be receptive to participating and catching the beads just because they won't be used to it. If you want a little extra flair, maybe just hire some mardi gras indians and then you can still use your beads as favors for out of town guests.
  • Options
    We gave away beads with our names as favors.  Following the second line, we had an after party at Petite Bourbon and threw beads from the balcony. 
  • Options
    I've seen a few 2nd lines at night where guests threw them to the crowd. We plan to give out lots of beads in our colors to our guests for them to keep or throw.  Whatever they prefer.
  • Options
    Hi everyone-

We are having our destination weddng in the French Quarter and have decided on a Monday since our guests don't care which day and it is significantly cheaper.  I would still love to do the second line, but would it still be fun on a Monday?  Not living there, I'm not sure how busy the streets are on Mondays. 

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards