North Carolina

Check: Wedding Cake!!! {PIP}&{ Very Long}

FI and I met with a new cake lady today.  Our original plan was to use an ex co-worker to make our cake because she has done several wedding cakes on the side just as a hobby, so I had always planned on using her because she would probably just give us the cake as our wedding present.  We used to go to church with her, and she thinks alot of FI and I.  Well, when I met with her the other week to show her my ideas, she told me that she didn't think she could do anything that complicated.  I really didn't think it looked that complicated in comparison to some of the pictures of wedding cakes that she has done in the past, but she was certain that she wouldn't be able to do what I wanted.  She promised me that she would give it a try on just a small cake to see what she could do and send me some pictures of it.  She really made me feel uneasy about the whole situation because she didn't seem convinced that she could do it. 

So, I went ahead and booked a consultation with another co-worker's sister who lives right outside of Charlotte and does wedding cakes on the side as a hobby, too.  I was really nervous about this since it was just her hobby until I checked out her website!  She is really good at her craft!!!  So, we met with her today to do some cake tastings and they were AMAZING!  So, I went ahead and paid her in full and sealed the deal!  I can't wait to see what kind of magic she'll pull off for the wedding cake!  I am so excited!  For anyone wanting to check her out, her name is Joli Finsel and if you click on her name it will take you to her website.  We haven't worked out all the details of what flavors we are having because everything we sampled was to delcious to narrow it down.  But, it will be a four tier white colored cake with some black scroll work on it and black & hot pink fondant ribbon around the edges.  

The design is similar to this one...

With ribbon around it like this one...

And then we are having a fondant bow for our topper like this one...

The only bad thing now is I have to let my ex-coworker friend know the news.  I dread that.  I hate confrontation!  But, hopefully she will understand and be happy that we actually found someone available to do what we want this late into the game...we only have 37 days to go....eeekkkkk!!!!  Everything is all starting to fall into place now, but very quickly!  It seems so surreal at times!

Leigh Anne & Billy
*October 2nd, 2010*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Check: Wedding Cake!!! {PIP}&{ Very Long}

• edited December 2011
    wow I really LOVE that cake in the 2nd pic!!  congrats and don't worry about hurting her feelings if she's already expressed that your vision was too complicated for her.  I'm sure she'll understand.  I would tell her before she makes that smaller cake though so she knows not to waste her time/effort and money on it, ya know?

0Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Melissa, that's the bad thing....she's already made it.  She mailed me some pics to my house yesterday!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is she invited to the wedding?  If so, you could just tell her that you could tell she was getting a little stressed about the cake, so you went ahead and just paid someone to do it so she could fully enjoy your wedding without stressing out or having a lot to do beforehand!
  • edited December 2011
    love the pics!! we're having swirls on our too!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Beautiful cake!! I'm so glad you found someone to carry out your vision. Good luck with your friend, though. I'm sure she'll understand that you didn't want her to stress out over your wedding cake.
  • CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Beth's idea of how to break it to her. Love the cake idea, so pretty!
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• CltBride2008CltBride2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow that cake is awesome! I bet your coworker is going to be relieved. Maybe you could ask her to make the smaller cake for your rehearsal dinner so she's still a part of things but the weight of the wedding cake is no longer on her shoulders. GOod luck!
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree. I like Beth's idea.  That seems like a good way to handle things.

BTW, the cake is beautiful!

• pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Leigh Anne, please make a bio.  Every time you post something about your wedding I want to stalk your bio.  Kthankx :)

• edited December 2011
    Mary, you are so funny!  That made my day, thanks!  I really should make something and put all my ideas out there....after all, that's where we all found our inspiration in the first place!  If I can find any time to squeeze it in, I will make one....and you'll be the first to know!   

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
  • edited December 2011

Congrats!  That cake is gorgeous!  I am just now starting to look for a cake.  I will have to check her out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards