Florida-South Florida

Feeling lost and confused about stationary :(

Please help!

I was so excited when I received swatch samples from Cardsandpockets.com, thinking I had it all figured out exactly how I was going to do my invitations and programs in just the perfect colors. I've never done this before so I was worried. But the samples got me so excited! Then I realized that I don't know how to print the pre-cut pieces of cardstock in color! We have an inkjet color printer at home, and I just ordered samples of the actual sized papers, but I know I can't use the inkjet on metallic cardstock, which is fine, I was going to use the smooth cardstock with metallic background. But now i'm nervous thinking that my little HP printer won't be able to handle the thick cardstock in unconventional sizes. I'd really like to get the paper pre-cut so I don't have to cut 120 each of invitations, reception cards and RSVP cards, saves me a lot of work. And I would prefer to have some color in the lettering, not all black.

Please help! How can I print on different sizes of cardstock in color?? I'm so clueless :(
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Feeling lost and confused about stationary :(

• LAKE21LAKE21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you mean that you want the font to be in different colors of plain cardstock?

I bought my supplies from cardsandpockets too. My printer has an adjustable notch in the front where you load the paper to hold the different sized paper in place.

When you design your invites on the computer make sure you adjust the paper settings to the correct size. If you don't it will print half on half off the paper.

Which HP printer do you have?
  • LAKE21LAKE21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Do you mean something like this? This is my invite.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes I'd like to print in different colors of font on cream colored cardstock, like Lake21. I have an HP C3180 printer. It used to be my brothers, I've never tried it. I just have to test it. It seems like it will accept the different sizes from what I've read, just concerned about the thickness of the cardstock and it being able to handle the amount of printing I will need.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LAKE21LAKE21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have an HP printer too and my printer did fine. The cardstock isnt that thick so it shouldn't get stuck. To be on the safe side I would only put a few pieces in at a time so that 1. It doesn't feed to much and get jammed and 2. when it is finished printing it doesn't get smeard by another page being laid on top.

What program are you planning on using to design them? I used publisher. Just make sure that when you go to print, you have the paper settings set to the correct size.

But I don't think you will have a problem doing it like how I did it. I didn't need to make any special changes or have special ink either.

I hope that all made sense. If you need anything else let me know!

Laughing
  • edited December 2011
    Do you know the thickness?  I have an HP 1020, among the 3 printers I have.  I have only tested to about 110 lb weight and it worked.  It was also a postcard size piece of page.  Just make sure your printer and program settings match the paper size so it doesn't print the wrong way.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a little confused on what you are asking...

You shouldn't have any problem printing different colors at the same time. It works the same as regular paper.

You should hand feed the paper one at a time through the printer or else the printer might jam.

You should read the manual for your printer (you can probably find it online by googling) to find out how to adjust the paper size for your printer.

My one warning for you is to test print- I bought the metallic paper from cards and pockets and not only did the color come out lighter than I wanted it to on the paper, but the color smudged because the paper had a hard time absorbing the inkjet ink. You should see how much it would cost to print at Staples or Kinko's and if they need cardstock or precut paper. (You might be able to save a bit if you only have to buy bulk cardstock and you could put that towards getting it printed).
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't think I would have problems printing different colors at once. I just want to print in color on cardstock with my HP printer at home. I don't have any experience with this so I was a bit hesitent to screw up the printer.

Great tips, thank you so much! I feel better now. The cardstock is 80 to 100 lbs. Can't wait to get the samples so I can test the printer out.

I haven't used Publisher but I have it. What advantages does it have over Word? I was just going to print the wording and use rubber stamps in floral designs.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LAKE21LAKE21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would def do a test piece once you get all your materials so you can see how eveything works together.

I like publisher because you can put what you want where you want. In word it has automatic spacing and I feel it makes things harder.

ETA: For example the picture I posted of my invite...I couldn't get the fluer di lis behind the writing in word but in publisher I could.
  • edited December 2011
    The one thing I definitely suggest is to feed the paper into the printer one piece at a time to avoid jams.  And obviously make sure your color ink cartridges have enough ink.  We did our save the dates, wedding invites, and rehearsal dinner invites on our printer, so you should be fine.  If you're not used to doing things like this definitely read the manual like PP said.  Good Luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Looks like I'll be learning how to use Publisher! Just started playing around with it already and it seems very user friendly and much better than Word. Thanks!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Test, test, test on the samples you bought. My ink smeared and so did my stamps. I had to emboss my stamps because 3 days later they stilled smeared and I was using pigment ink.
  • edited December 2011
    Good tip gatorgirl, I will definitely test the ink to make sure it doesn't smudge. Thanks!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards