Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor Wedding / Indoor Reception

I've never posted here, Hi! :)
My FI and I are getting married at Point Lookout in Northpoint, ME in August 2011. 

The resort is beautiful and located on top of a mountain that overlooks the ocean! We are planning to have an outdoor ceremony (weather permitting), cocktail hour on the deck of the main building and then a reception indoors at the resort which also has a great view of the ocean. 

I am wondering how formal I could go with my dress? I don't particularly want a very formal dress, but I want to know some of your thoughts so I have an idea when I start my dress shopping. 

Is anyone else having an outdoor/indoor wedding? 

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor Wedding / Indoor Reception

• My daughter did.  She got a dress that was soft and flowy with only a very small train...but it had lots of lovely crystal beading on the bodice, neck and then in the back.  It seemed to fit both places. 
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • im doing outdoor/indoor and im sure my dress (see below) will work in both places. the back of the dress has buttons all the way down and every 3rd button down there is a little jewel.  its simple enough for the outdoors but classic enough for an indoor reception. 
  • edited July 2010
    Honestly these days dresses are so much more simplified than 10-20-30+++ years ago that I think anything you pick out will be fine.  My dress sounds identical to MuffinsMom above and I am having an outdoor/indoor as well.  As long as you don't have a long long train or a ton of frills, I am sure you will be fine. 
  • I had an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception.  I personally think that simple dresses and big ballgowns can work just fine.  Just pick a dress that you love!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We had an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception too. I say go with whatever you love and feel comfortable in. I wore a satin ball-gownish dress because it is what I fell in love with.
  • Yeah, at first I was going to go with a light, flowy chiffon "destination wedding" type of dress, but I couldn't find the one I loved in stores anywhere. Finally, on a whim I tried on a more traditional gown, but a sleek form-fitting one with a smaller train, and I absolutely adored it. I think it will work just fine outdoors because the train isn't too long and complicated or anything.
  • We had an outdoor wedding with an indoor reception.  I think you can do any style of dress for this kind of wedding.  Just go shopping and try on all different styles to find one you love.  For me, I always knew I wanted something flowy, not ballroom poofy style so that's what I chose.

Pics in married bio.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am having an outdoor wedding and reception, I picked an Alfred Angelo dress.  It had a short train and could be used for an indoor wedding.  It is rather more formal than I originally wanted for my outdoor wedding, but I fell in love with it and no other dress would do.  It is corset back and sleeveless so I am hoping it will look ok. 

I think that it is really just a matter of what you feel comfortable in and what makes you happy.  The only thing I am concerned with is having grass stains on my train, but I can live with that.
    Angie & Jeromy started dating 05/11/2008 Engaged 09/15/2009 Getting Hitched 10/10/2010
  • Ours is outdoor/indoor and this is my dress .

The train is a little longer than I wanted for outdoors, but it do because I fell in love with it. The trim is apple red from David's bridal (it is a discontinued style)
  • thanks for all the advice! :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-indoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:906e0372-8eb4-4692-b67c-ec4970dc4738Post:19d47ad2-542c-4962-ad87-efbf7f3d952f">Re: Outdoor Wedding / Indoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had an outdoor ceremony and an indoor reception.  I personally think that simple dresses and big ballgowns can work just fine.  Just pick a dress that you love!
    Posted by cschuma2[/QUOTE]

<div>I was going to say the same thing.  My wedding will be outdoors by a gazebo on the grounds of a golf course.  Cocktail hour will be on the deck and patio.  The reception is indoors.  I did not even think about the indoor/outdoor thing.  I just picked the gown I loved!</div>
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • I am having an outdoor wedding with an indoor reception in October 2010 (weather permitting).  I didn't even worry about whether the dress fit an outdoor feel....I picked the dress that I fell in love with and knew I wanted to marry the man of my dreams in.  The reception place is actually quite formal inside so I have no worries that the dress I picked will fit both sceneries.  It is a ballgown style dress with a fairly long train...purchased from Alfred Angelo.  Good luck on your dress shopping and enjoy the day!
  • I just picked the dress that i was dreaming about every night for 2 weeks!
    I didn't even consider indoor/outdoor. We are having the ceremony in a gazebo at a park and the reception at a swanky banquet hall. I just went with what i loved!
    Good luck!
  • K_Dub67K_Dub67 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-indoor-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:906e0372-8eb4-4692-b67c-ec4970dc4738Post:397572b6-b4e6-4c17-92d7-b9f9892f1fc8">Re: Outdoor Wedding / Indoor Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having an outdoor wedding with an indoor reception in October 2010 (weather permitting).  I didn't even worry about whether the dress fit an outdoor feel....I picked the dress that I fell in love with . . .Posted by JLa2888[/QUOTE]

<font color="#800080">Ditto. <a href="http://www.demetrios.pl/popup_image.php?pID=93&osCsid=96fc65b8d2eed7f8dbc42e0ecd047587">http://www.demetrios.pl/popup_image.php?pID=93&osCsid=96fc65b8d2eed7f8dbc42e0ecd047587</a> Are any of you wearing a veil?</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • deb84deb84 member
    First Comment
    Buy the dress you love.  I am having a outdoor wedding and indoor reception.  As long as it is practical I plan to buy whatever I love. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I am planning on a simple dress with no train that I completely fell in love with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards