Louisiana-New Orleans

Florist and cake in NOLA...HELP!

Good evening ladies!

Things are moving slowly but surely. Secured the venue yesterday WOOHOOO! After much disappointment with venues that looked stellar online but were a total fail in person.

Anyway, up next on my to-do list is securing a good florist,  baker and photographer with an artisitic eye who focuses on capturing candids and not so much 'posed'. Any suggestions based on experience.? I am looking for someone who does what they do well and has unparralled customer service. I have been encountering a few vendors who act like they are doing YOU a favor and don't really need your business.

Thanks ladies

Re: Florist and cake in NOLA...HELP!

• Chelsey504Chelsey504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on getting your venue. What did you end up going with?

My wedding is not until March, but I can share info about my experience so far.... My photog is Sandra O'Claire w/ Eau Claire Photographics. She has a very photojournalistic style and does great candids. Not the cheapest, but also not crazy expensive. She has been very easy to work with. Lots of other brides on here have used her. Website: http://www.eauclairephotographics.com/ .

My florist is Beth Achord. She does floral on the side, so she's cheaper than a lot of floral shops. Flowers weren't super important to me, so I just wanted someone who would be reliable and affordable. So far so good. Also got the rec for her from these boards.

If you use the search feature at the bottom of the page and type in "photographer" or "florist" it will pull all the previous posts and you can look through past recs.

HTH...
  • edited December 2011
    For cake, you can't beat Swiss.  I also like Haydel's.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • hollybee92hollybee92 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Sandra O'Claire as well, Haydel's for the cakes, and Christina O'Malley for my flowers.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Studio Tran for my wedding. They have been so great to work with thus far and I have had friends use them and were very pleased with their level of service and pics. 

For our cake we're using Haydel's. They are our go to baker for birthday/holiday cakes.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Maile Lani, she's very friendly and loves her job, and she really has a perspective, you can see on her website

http://www.mailelaniphotography.com/

Good luck! Also, Im using Christina OMalley for floral and Haydel's for cake
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I forgot to mention that I'm using Bella Blooms for floral. Her work is amazing!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are using Matthew Foster for photography.  He has been really great so far, and I have heard wonderful reviews about him from everyone I've mentioned his name to.  

For flowers we chose Christina O'Malley.  Her prices were very reasonable (although not bargain basement) and she has been very responsive and willing to make suggestions to get the look we want without blowing the budget.

We did cake tastings at two places and ended up choosing the Royal Cakery.  Their cakes were just delicious and they were very flexible and have a lot of choices for flavors and fillings. 

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I used Studio Tran for my wedding and they did an amazing job.  I love looking at my pictures (lots of candids since that's what I wanted).  They show just how much fun everyone was having at the wedding.

As for florist - I used Federico's.  They are located in Metairie technically.  I wasn't really focused on flowers much,  As someone above said, I just wanted someone reasonable and reliable.  My planner suggested Federico's and they were perfect.

My cake was Haydel's and it was great.  Swiss has great tasting cakes but I've heard horror stories of the cakes showing up and being frozen and such.  Haydel's has awesome customer service.
  • amyj54amyj54 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with Christina O'Malley?  I was hoping to use her too but, can't find any contact info.  I heard Erin Steen was good as well.
  • edited December 2011
    christinaomalley@cox.net
  • amyj54amyj54 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    I've heard terrible things about Swiss.  They used to be the go-to cake place, but these days I hear the best things about Flour Power, Royal Cakery, and Haydels. 

I am using Babs Evangelista for photos.  She is very photojournalistic. 
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding isn't until April, so I don't have recommendations just yet.  But I can tell you who I'm going with.  I'm using Stacy Marks for photography. His style is mostly photo-journalistic, so he may be a good fit for you.  I will also be using Christine O'Malley for flowers. She has been very responsive and easy to work with so far. I can't wait to see how the flowers come out.  We'll be using Haydel's for the wedding and groom's cake. They always do a great job.

Good luck finding your vendors!
  • Marti66Marti66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone have an email for Mead Wenzel or a good phone number.  A number of friends have used her for flowers but their numbers are not working.
  • edited December 2011

We are using Flour Power for cakes.  Ronda is promopt to respond to my emails and the caked are SOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOD!!  www.flourpowernola.com

• edited December 2011
    I am using Bella Blooms for my florist--she is awesome!!!!! To sit down and talk to her was a great experience. 

i am also going with Studio Tran for photos - www.studiotran.com Sandra at Eau Claire is booked for all of 2011.

For the cake try Royal Cakery in New Orleans East--my cake is going to consist of buttercream with caramel cream cheese and white cake with fresh strawberries!!
  • edited December 2011
    I hear many recommendations for Christina O'Malley but she doesn't have a website. Does anyone have wedding pictures they would share as and example of her work?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011

I'm having Sandra O'Claire for my photographer (eauphoto.com) for the wedding, Samantha Crayon for my engagement and bridals (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Samantha-Crayon-Photography/180043592010995).
    I'm using Ladybug's Garden and Gifts for my flowers and The Royal Cakery for my cake.
     I really can't say enough awesome things about all of them
    They have been some of the best/reasonable priced vendors from what i have found, and i have prices from a ton of people, especially for what you are getting. Super high quality and professional, great to work with :o)
    if you have any questions, please feel free to message me!

• ashodomashodom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Studio Tran is amazing! I am using them for my wedding in March and have already taken my engagments and bridals with them!  Beebe and Corine really go above and beyond for their clients- and yes it is tons of candids!

As for florists Bella Blooms is BY FAR the best in the floral biz of NOLA.  I am actually using someone else though bc she was booked.  I chose NOLA Flora- her work is beautiful too and i know she will capture every detail I am going for. Ashley (Nola Flora) has a great attention to detail and it shows!

I used a friend to make my cakes and she was out of Baton Rouge (Couture Cakes of BR).  She does great work and will deliver to NOLA but for a fee.  She is one of the most artistic people I know.

Hope this helps!!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    We just did a tasting at Flour Power today and they were amazing!  Ronda is very responsive and super nice!  This was our first tasting, but I was ready to book before we left.  FI wants to do more tastings (hmm, I wonder why?  Free cake, maybe?), but I'm pretty sure we're going to go w/ Flour Power. 
  • Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For cake we have Royal Cakery. Photographer is Ardent Studio (work is amazing, good on candids, medium priced from what I've seen). Flowers we are using Crystal Vase, reasonable prices as I wasn't super concerned with flowers and am having candle centerpieces as opposed to floral.
  • edited December 2011
    My planner does floral design for the budget bride and she really has an good eye for style. http://318designsbynicole.com as for cakes try Royal Cakery
  • edited December 2011
    Meade Wenzel- 504-289-9883
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards