Florida-Central Florida

Orlando Honeymoon -- Restaurant Recommendations please

Hey ladies, I hope I'm on the correct board. We're honeymooning to Disney World in May and I really want to find some restaurants around Disney (but not on DW resort) to eat at. We aren't purchasing the dining plan at DW.

Please list your recommendations.

Re: Orlando Honeymoon -- Restaurant Recommendations please

• Choco9Choco9 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi!  I'm a foodie and my FI is a chef... I am just going to list our favorites that aren't TOO far from where you will be.

Sand Lake Road - Seasons 52, Roy's, Seito Sushi (if you like sushi, it's really fabulous), Flemings

I-Drive - Napa at the Peabody hotel, Cafe TuTu Tango (I am hesitant to recommend the food but it is passable/good and the atmosphere is SUPER fun and fun for visiting folks)

The best restaurant for dinner in this whole town, in my opinion, is Ravenous Pig in Winter Park.  Check it out online... if I was coming here it's the one I absolutely would not miss.
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

There's an area called "Crossroads" that is right by Disney... so they have a bunch of different places there (and different prices). If you've never been to Kobe's Japanese steakhouse, I recommend there since it's entertaining to watch them cook in front of you.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The best restaurant in Disney World is Victoria and ALbert's.  It is the best restaurant I've ever eaten at in my life.  It's very pricey but I feel it is worth it especially on your honeymoon.  It is a six or seven course meal with an amuse bouche and a very fancy coffee course.  THe menu changes seasonally and is prix fixed.  Call well in advance to get reservations.

If you want somewhere not as expensive, the next best restaurant in Disney is the California Grill.  They have a beautiful view of the magic kingdom at night and if you eat in the evening, you can go out onto the porch and watch the fireworks from the restaurant. They even dim the lights and play the music.  It is expensive also but not like V and A's.  You should try to call 180 days in advance to book here because it's very popular.  Check what time the fireworks are at before hand.  If they're at ten, I'd try for an 8 or 8:30 reservation.  Ask for a seat near the window. 

Cheaper but still amazing is  Ohanna's.  They are a family style restaurant in the Polynesian.  All the food is prepared fresh just for you and brought to your table in large platters.  YOu can eat as much as you like.  The waiters come around with skewers of meat and you can have all different kinds of meat.  YOu can eat here during fireworks time as well.  Try for an 8 or 8:30 reservation time and ask for a table near the window.  YOu'll get a great view.  Ohanna's is extremely popular so call 180 days in advance for your reservation.  

SOme of my other favorite restaurants in Disney are:
    - Narcoosee's _ another place to view the fireworks from, somewhat pricey
    - Boma - buffet with fresh ingredients and both american and african cuisine
    - Jiko - African and American high end restaurant

Cinderella's Castle - not high end food and no alcohol here but it's certainly a memorable experience and fun.  You must call exactly 180 days in advance to get a reservation here and you pay ahead of time so don't miss your reservation.

Chef du France and Bistro du Paris - Both in France in Epcot, fabulous french food.  Bistro is a little more upscale.  

Sci Fi cafe - Hollywood studios - kitchy and fun. You sit in a car and watch old timey shorts while eating

Prime Time Cafe - HOllywood studios - another kitchy and fun restaurant where they pretend like you are in a fifties kitchen and talk to you like you're their children.  
    Fulton's Crab house - downtown disney - Very good seafood, kind of pricey

I've actually eaten at every single restaurant on Disney property except Shula's (going there soon) so if you have any questions about a restaurant, please ask.  

For pretty much any restaurant on Disney property, you should make reservations in advance.  Some of them require reservations or  you can't get in at all and some are less popular and you can walk in but the walk in ones are not usually in the theme parks.  It also depends on what time of year you go.  Also, when I say reservation, I really mean call ahead seating because they don't actually do real reservations at Disney.  
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shoot after I posted all that I read it again and realized you said not on the resort.  may I ask why?  you certainly don't need a dining plan to eat at any of their restaurants.  Eating off property the crossroads right by there are some of the closest restaurants.  You can also go to the Hess stations (there are three) around DIsney for ridiculously cheap food.  They have sandwiches and pizza and hot dogs.  There's one by downtown disney, one by hollywood studios and one at the exit to the magic kingdom.  
  • SE+MBSE+MB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The reason why is because we are only 56 days away from the trip so I don't think we'll get good reservations. Plus, I figured food would be cheaper off the resort. I'm also a VERY picky eater and I didn't see  much food that I liked at WDW so I wanted to see my options.

Thanks everyone for suggestions!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Food is definitely cheaper off the resort but the down side is that you will spend a lot of your time driving to the restaurants and not as much time in the park.  There's mostly chain restaurants around Disney and there is a very large variety of restaurants in Disney so I can't imagine that you couldn't find some kind of restaurant you'll like while you're there.  You can always see what reservations are available. You never know till you try.  

• KtinagrlKtinagrl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Season's 52 is always great. 

And yes, I agree Cafe TuTu Tango is a blast!  So is Taverna Opa.

You should also check out Houlihan's on I-Drive if you have time.  More posh than any Houli's I've seen. Great service. I had my lingerie shower on their second floor. Great balcony for privacy.
  • edited December 2011
    Cafe Tu Tu Tango is a lot of fun!! But for "date night" I cannot more strongly recommend KRESS in Downtown Church Street.  You guys must see Church Street anyways, although it is mainly nightclubs it is one of Orlando's more fun historic places.  Last time I was there I saw Mackauley Culkin & Freddy Prince Jr. having dinner -together! (about 2 years ago).  It's really beautiful, service is great.  If you like Tapas, there is also a beautiful place called Ceviche in Church Street Station that has live music and art to kill
  • crimsonxskiescrimsonxskies member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're going to be in the Downtown Disney area at all, and are looking for something quick (provided there isn't a long line) and easy, I highly recommend Earl of Sandwich.

The RainForest Cafe is fun, but beware of the "entertainment fee" they tack onto your bill.

I agree that Kobe's is great; Season's 52 is wonderful.

Also, not all restaurants in the resort require reservations. For example, the Boardwalk (next to Epcot) has quite a few restaurants, and we were able to get into them easily in the middle of July with no reservations.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards