Registry and Gift Forum

FMIL Vent- Registry

I love my FMIL.  She's a great woman.  But she's surely set in her ways and there is nothing around that one.

She asked what I'm going to register for as far as place settings.  I showed her my Kohl's registry and she said "you need more than 8, change that to 12".  Then she asked where else we are going to register and I said Target.  She then started listing off all of these local stores and I told her no.  I told her we aren't going to register all over the place, because quite frankly, we prefer cash.  It's a DW, so the less gifts to trek back, the better. 

Next she asked how I was going to word that on the invite and I flat out said "I'm not!  There will be no mention of registry or gifts at all on the invite."   She wanted to know how people were supposed to know what to give us.  So I replied "Well, word of mouth can spread that we're registered at Kohl's and Target, but a reminder can also be made that we are traveling."  She didn't like that idea at all and said "well, you need to make sure people know or you aren't getting anything at all."   I told her I don't care and that I'm not getting married for the gifts. 

Things are done differently here- different than what I'm used to.  But I'm sure not going to throw out tact and etiquette just because so many others do!

Vent over!
Merry Christmas
Photobucket
Follow Me on Pinterest
Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Re: FMIL Vent- Registry

• Agreed - it's bad etiquette to mention anything about registry or gifts on the invitation, and national stores are actually better because then everyone can shop for you - even OOT guests. There are Targets and Kohl's everywhere. 
    "So what? So it's not going to be easy. It's gonna be hard.
    Really hard. But I wanna do that because I want you
    - all of you, you and me, every day. Forever."

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_fmil-vent-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:a3d900eb-a990-4401-ac6c-d74ce2262abbPost:b980be28-66df-4ecc-9390-03ac6aa04905">Re: FMIL Vent- Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]You're right on everything, although I second the RECOMMENDATION of registering for 12 place settings instead of 8.  You'll need them if you entertain a lot.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Right on everything but you need 12 place settings. They break, you have bigger parties, they are in the dishwasher, etc.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards