Jewish Weddings
Options

Need some help with traditions

My FI is Jewish but I am not.  We are getting married this August and unfortunately his rabbi passed away and the new rabbi will not marry us.  We will be having a JP conduct a non-religious ceremony but we would like to keep some of his traditions as they are important to him there by being important to me....Is it OK to have another member of his family read the 7 blessings and is it possible for him to still break the glass - I hope so because I ordered one from Israel to give to him.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Need some help with traditions

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!

First off, I am sorry to hear about your fi's rabbi. I have been to several interfaith weddings where the 7 blessings were read and it was just beautiful and really meaningful. As well, your fi could definitely break the glass... there is nothing wrong with that at all.

hth!
  • Options
    RachiemooRachiemoo member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you could also have a chuppah - jewish wedding canopy.
    image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The blessings do not have to be read by a rabbi or other religious person; and your FI is more than entitled to break the glass, if he wishes.  Much of the ceremony components can be done within being in the context of a Jewish wedding, per se.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If a JP is conducting the ceremony, you can do anything that the JP is ok with.  Can you talk to him/her beforehand?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards