Canada

I had my very first donair today!

I've been back up here for 3 years (after having lived in Florida for 9) and I had never had a donair. No particular reason, it just never came up. So today I was feeling icky and crampy, and FI is not feeling so good either, so for lunch we called over to our local pizza place and got some panzoni's and donairs. It was good and spicy, though the sauce was a little, er, special, lol.
December 2010 siggy challenge - Caketopper:
cake crown Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: I had my very first donair today!

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ... Is this an east coast thing? Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    I think that is an East Coast thing Ringy, they are always eating them on "trailer park boys".
  • mflowers929mflowers929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Quite possibly. I never heard of them when I was living in ON. If you've ever had a gyro, they're similar =)
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Donairs are the BEST late night snack food EVER.  Home of the donair is Halifax! (Where I'm from)  If you've never had one and you're ever in Halifax you should get one.  They're meat (don't ask me what kind) that's spiced and cut thin, in a grilled pita with tomatoes, onions and a tangy/sweet sauce.  Really really good!

I hope you enjoyed your first:)

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Never had one, but FI swore by them after a night of drinking in university!
  • edited December 2011
    Mmm... I haven't had a donair since I lived in New Brunswick!
  • edited December 2011
    Is it like having a kabob?
    edited December 2011
    Ummmm not really..but kind of..? lol

I found this Wikipedia article that's got a good description of them. 

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Donair's are like gyros (or apparently shwarma's) but with a sweet garlicy sauce.

When I lived in Belleville for a term they had the BEST donair place.  Nova Deli.  All they sold was various sized donairs and fries covered in chicken soup mix.  Love!
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pavingtheroadpavingtheroad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Donairs are the best, its a pita, topped with a garlic sweet sauce, meat, and onions and tomatoes. If your ever in halifax look up Bash toulaney's they have the absolute best donairs
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    My Planning Bio
    123image 64image 35 image 24image RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2010
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_very-first-donair-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:46Discussion:5efb6b1d-0439-4263-b2b3-ee9e9e874328Post:1eb09305-3ff6-4cb5-a5b7-62df67743630">Re: I had my very first donair today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Donairs are the best, its a pita, topped with a garlic sweet sauce, meat, and onions and tomatoes. If your ever in halifax look up Bash toulaney's they have the absolute best donairs
    Posted by pavingtheroad[/QUOTE]

No way, man! Bash is good but Fairview Pizza is better! lol

Murried Bio
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_very-first-donair-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:46Discussion:5efb6b1d-0439-4263-b2b3-ee9e9e874328Post:c5a1acbe-039c-4949-a856-e0eee4bd2bd7">Re: I had my very first donair today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]... Is this an east coast thing?
    Posted by ring_pop[/QUOTE]

It can't be an east coast thing.  I used to live in Edmonton and there were donair shops EVERYWHERE!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mflowers929mflowers929 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada_very-first-donair-today?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:46Discussion:5efb6b1d-0439-4263-b2b3-ee9e9e874328Post:3f5a172d-a014-4462-b675-02b00279d625">Re: I had my very first donair today!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I had my very first donair today! : It can't be an east coast thing.  I used to live in Edmonton and there were donair shops EVERYWHERE!
    Posted by mrs.c21[/QUOTE]
    Actually it's only in Alberta because of the number of Maritimers that came over for work and missed them =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards