Michigan-Detroit

outdoors venue ideas and suggestions

I just got engaged and we're thinking about having an outdoor wedding in Michigan. We envision somewhere overlooking a lake. We would like it to be close to the DTW airport. Any ideas or suggestions? Any are appreciated and welcomed. Thanks! 

Re: outdoors venue ideas and suggestions

• edited December 2011
    I don't have any ideas but welcome!  :)
    Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats, welcome.

I know lots of places near lakes but unfortunately none of them are near DTW. Most are within a reasonable distance though, about 30-75 minutes away are lots of reasonable places. Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Rochester, Troy, lots of places within that time frame away. How close are you looking?

Is the location restriction due to you being from NY or are most of your guests OOT too and more likely to fly than drive or rent a car? 
  • jodyk23jodyk23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not real close to DTW, but Waldenwoods is really nice.
  • terbear_86terbear_86 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes it is nice at Waldenwoods and don't they have overnight lodging available too? That's the one off of 23 in Hartland right?
  • cindaycinday member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Oak Management. They have several properites that have outdoor areas near lakes. My sister got married at Addison Oaks and we loved it! The wedding was outside and they have a very pretty place to have the reception indoors. The food is excellent too and you can BYOB.
  • LeaseFrankLeaseFrank member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Waldenwoods isn't too far from the Flint Airport... you may want to look into that.
  • ehuberehuber member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reply. We live in NY and I'm from NY but my fiance is from MI. They live in royal oak and rochester mostly. If the venue is an hour from the airport I think that would be fine.My friends will probably rent cars and drive wherever the place is, but I will probably need lodging near by. 
    I'll definitely check out oak management. Any other suggestions would be very welcomed. 
    Thanks guys!! This is hard being that I am not from Michigan and live in NY. 
  • Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the Detroit area board!

While about an hour away from the airport, Stony Creek in Macomb County has facilities for weddings near a lake. This is not that far from Rochester, and really not that far from Royal Oak either. Here is their link, scroll down to the wedding info:

http://www.metroparks.com/parks/pk_stony_creek.php#

The catering is done by Crank's, I've eaten at their location before, food was good. I am not familiar with anyone who has used their catering by the lake, but here is a link with photos:

http://www.crankscatering.com/services14.html

Here's their wedding package menus:

http://www.crankscatering.com/menu4-3.html

Since you are planning this from afar, this would seem to be a good option, giving you a place along with people who do the catering there on a regular basis

Good luck, and congrats again.

• edited December 2011
    Wellers might be an idea. They don't have a lake, but they do have a river. It is in Saline, MI. Not totally far from DTW...maybe 30 minutes?

www.wellersweddings.com
    Kinda Regards, Erica
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards