Jewish Weddings
Options

traditions

Is is common to have a bouquet toss or garter throw at jewish weddings? I haven't seen it myself...but am curious if anyone else has.

Re: traditions

• Options
    LisaBRMLisaBRM member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen either at a jewish wedding and I didn't do either.  I don't know if they are common or not, but, I just think they are tacky, especially the garter toss.
    Lisa
    Not a newbie, but, had to create a new account - formerly LBR_NJ

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Blog - "Helping Make Sense"
  • Options
    colourzcolourz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have seen the bouquet toss at Jewish weddings, but never the garter toss.
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've seen both at Jewish weddings when both were more commonly done. But I honestly haven't seen either at weddings of any kind in quite a while.
  • Options
    2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My son and his wife had both at their wedding.  Then again, his wife is not Jewish.  Personally, I don't see the point in either one.  And at my son's wedding, all the single people seemed to be trying hard to avoid catching either bouquet or garter.  There is video of someone seeing the bouquet coming toward her, and lobbing it off to someone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen them both done at Jewish weddings.  We're personally not doing a garter toss because we don't care for it.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never seen either done at Jewish weddings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Musicheals71Musicheals71 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We left out the garter toss completely, and we did a twist on the bouquet toss:  we awarded the toss bouquet to the couple at the wedding who was married the longest, which happened to be my in-laws (62 years and counting!). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i've never seen this at a jewish wedding. both seem to be christian traditions in origin, but seem to have become more mainstream/secular, so its not surprising they get incorporated into some jewish weddings.

v.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We didn't do either. We gave my toss bouquet to the couple that was married the longest.
    Anniversary image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards