New York-New York City

Affordable Reception Areas?

We are looking for a Catholic Church in NYC and are scouting out affordable reception spots either in the city or across the river. Any ideas? We ideally want to do an outside caterer aka a buffet...on a tight budget because he is moving from England and we have to work around him being jobless while he waits for a green card!

Thank you so much!

Re: Affordable Reception Areas?

• MrsKocalMrsKocal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

How tight is "tight"?  How many people do you plan on inviting?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    Catered buffet is not always that cheap... Restaurants tend to be the cheapest, because you don't have to rent a space, then rent tables, chairs, forks, spoons, linens, staff, and then get the food on top of it.  Also, sit down, coursed meals are often cheaper than buffets b/c there is less food.
  • jayjoejayjoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married a year ago, but i do remember that some of the NYC places were more expensive than some of the ones we looked at in the boroughs. SJN is correct, buffets arent always cheaper and although empty spaces seem like they are cheaper (you can sometimes rent a room for a few grand) the linens, caterers, etc add up. Its also a lot of extra work. If its possible, (not sure when you are getting married) why not try for a Friday or Sunday wedding? Those days are less expensive to begin with. I've also been seeing A LOT of people getting married on Thursdays.

Like Ms.Kocal asked, what are some details (date, # of people, budget amount)?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic There's no room for you mommy! Shorry!
  • edited December 2011
    We're looking at about 15,000-16,000 and a wedding of no more than 200-250ish. And we have to do a Saturday because his friends are flying from London, so that's the best day to do it for them! I had no idea about the buffet catering being more expensive sometimes! That is SO helpful, THANK YOU! We are looking at a church that has easy access to Jersey right across the river, so I think I'm going to start searching in neighboring Jersey towns...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards