Not Engaged Yet
Options

Paleo diet

It's all the protein, veggies, nuts, healthy fats, and fruits that you want. (Sans fruits if you are trying to lose fat)

Have you heard of it? Thoughts?

thepaleodiet.com
www.nurseyk.weebly.com

Re: Paleo diet

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Isn't this what Cate's FI was all over??

I think it was, and if so, she's gone this weekend for a big run, (YAY!!!) but she'll be back Monday I believe!!
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Cate and her BF (FI? I'm confused. Sorry.) were on it. Cate said it was a huge PITA b/c there were a lot of restrictions, but I remember her saying she lost some weight on it.

I think that if you don't like to eat whole grains or dairy, more power to you.

Personally, I would never choose to eliminate those food groups. Simply b/c I like them. It's fortunate that I do, actually, b/c they can be good sources of low fat protein for vegetarians like me.

I do however think the focus on eating more fresh fruits and veggies can be helpful for some people. If you can deal with the restrictions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think that the nutrition of the Paleo diet is good in theory, but I have issues with the marketing.  "Eat like a caveman"?  Seriously?  Cavemen had appendices and tonsils and wisdom teeth that were, in all likelihood, more than just vestigial.  We aren't cavemen.  Our bodies don't work the same. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well I think he's maybe FI. I thought I remembered her saying they were 'engaged' but didn't have ring yet. But were engaged. I'm confused now.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    From how Cate described that diet it sounded crazy! IMO its so much better to find a diet that you can do for the rest of your life. If you can handle that type of diet though more power to you, I couldn't!

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think that eating healthy food is definitely important but you have to monitor the quantities. (Don’t forget exercising)

• Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know someone who's on it. He's a cadet with me, and he's constantly raving about it.
    He was the Physical Fitness Officer last semester and gave a whole presentation on the Paleo Diet.
    I mean, everything seems to be working for him. I feel like he has to eat a lot of salads since he lives on campus and our University isn't the best place for a Paleo Diet. He's fitness-obsessed too, so that could be part of why he's on the diet. He wears a gas mask when he works out....I guess it deprives his body of the "crutch" oxygen.

It's really similar to the naturalism movement, and that's where I agree with it. Your body needs only what's produced naturally on this earth. But, I take that to mean stuff like bread... which is restricted on the paleo diet. I wouldn't eat processed cheese balls or artificially flavored gummy bears if I could help it, but there's no way I'd take bread out of my diet.

I eat these things called LaraBars and he looked at the ingredients, turns out they're paleo-friendly and very delicious if you're planning on trying the diet out.
    White Knot
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, my BF (his choice of titles, but we DO consider ourselves engaged, but totally irrelevant to this conversation - once he buys a ring, then he wants to use FI titles) is on that diet!  And I, by default, follow it loosely.

I think the Paleo diet is a bit extreme, but a lot of the premises are good.  I would advise checking out Primal Blueprint, as that keeps some dairy.  I'm all for eliminating most grains (or trying to, at least - I do love bread), but I just don't agree with no salt and no dairy.  Also, read The Zone Diet, as it addresses the glycemic index, which is a good thing to be aware of in terms of regulating hunger and how different foods affect your energy.

Anyway, the diet's tough, but there are some great recipes out there.  I suggest following it loosely, not strictly - some salt is inevitable and good (and making your own salt-free chicken broth sucks - just get low sodium from the store).  The idea of cutting out additives and preservatives in food is good - antibiotic free, hormone free, pesticide free is all good stuff.  I'm also a big fan of grass fed beef, both for taste, for the quality of life of the animal, and for our own health.  Same goes for vegetarian fed eggs - they're a bit more expensive, way tastier, and much better for you!

Anniversary

• Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and don't go without the fruit.  They give you fiber and necessary carbohydrates that your body needs.  The diet alone will make you lose weight!  I've been running, also, but I've lost 12 pounds since Christmas, and I was never even overweight, just out of shape!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the thoughts! 
    I've been on the paleo diet for about a month now. I havent' followed it strictly at all. I eat cheese, greek yogurt, occasional glasses of milk, and of course cream in ma coffee. I had a few baaad cheat days, but was able to jump back on the cart pretty quick. As far as work, if I have to buy, I get a grilled chicken breast with onions, cheese, and a small salad. It works for me.. but yes, it's super difficult. Until I am done losing I've cut out all fruit except blueberries/strawberries. I've lost 9lbs so far! AW woot! As far as making it a life change, it will be a life change, but with the knowledge that life still has to be enjoyed, and pizza isn't off the list forever. 
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Paleo isn't meant to do simply to lose weight - and it's designed to be followed fully.  If you're not cutting out dairy, read up on Primal Blueprint.  Please don't cut out fruit to lose weight, you'll lose weight if you eat healthy and exercise.  If you are truly cutting out grains, you need the fruits (like apples) for carbohydrates!

Apples are really good fruit, by the way.  Bananas are not so good.  At least as far as the glycemic index goes.  Apples are way better than carrots on the glycemic index.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards