Chit Chat

NWR: What to get a one year old?

FI and I are going to a birthday party for our friends' one year old little boy this Saturday and we're stopping at Babys-R-Us after work today.  I just want to make sure we get an age-appropriate gift.  Obviously tags on the toys/clothes will help, but I figured I'd check here to see if any of you have any good suggestions and insight as to what the parents might really appreciate.  Thanks ladies!

Re: NWR: What to get a one year old?

• any sensory toys or books, things that they can touch that has different textures. Books to help with vocabulary, numbers, abc's, opposites. simple puzzles (large pieces with handles on them) they are educational yet fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Flowers
    image 160 Invited
    image 2 are ready to party with there boots on! image 0 have better things to do image158 are trying to find there boots
    RSVP Date: July 25th
  • I always always always get our nieces and nephews age-appropriate books, and usually try to find somewhere to sign it. I'm a total nerd, and I want to be that aunt that always gave books. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-what-to-get-a-one-year-old?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d4409411-e0f0-45cd-a6ce-f73fc40bf73cPost:82cc9149-5119-4660-ba54-c81d562c415a">Re: NWR: What to get a one year old?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I always always always get our nieces and nephews age-appropriate books, and usually try to find somewhere to sign it. I'm a total nerd, and I want to be that aunt that always gave books. :)
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

This is me.

I gave my four month old neice The Polar Express for her first Christmas and I signed it.  She'll grow up reading that book and always see that her Auntie Joy gave it to her.

My grandmother gave me The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Seuss once and she signed it.  I lost between a lot of moving.  I'm so so so sad about it - the inscription made the gift.
  • Books are always an awesome gift.  Even if I get something else, I always try to include a book in a gift for any child, especially younger ones.

Otherwise, go for something from V-Tech or Leapstart (I got my 1 year old niece Violet the puppy last year & it's her favorite - it can be programmed to say her name and her favorite foods and colors and whatnot) or Fisher Price/Playskool.  I love toys that promote discovery for kids - things they have to push and pull or poke and prod are great.  Ones that make them move are fun, too!  I still want to get that niece the Busy Ball Popper by Fisher Price, I believe. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm jumping on the books bandwagon.  I STILL have books my favorite uncle gave me when I was a small child -  they're a nice memory and don't take up that much space.

Also, since the kid is one and doesn't even get the whole "birthday" concept yet, I'd say clothing basics (white t-shirts, socks, etc.) - those are the kinds of things parents always need more of that people never buy.  My friend is having a baby soon, and at her shower, she got about 7000 adorable dress-up outfits and approximately 5 onesies.  She's going to need a heck of a lot more onesies than sailor suits when the baby arrives, but people get caught up in buying what's "cute" rather than what's needed.  For a first birthday, I'd probably do a few books, maybe a small, quiet toy, and socks or something similarly practical.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Thanks for the suggestions you guys! There are absolutely no children in either of our families right now - and there won't be until FI and I have kids (if we have kids), so our friends having babies is the first kid experience for us.

I absolutely LOVE the signed book idea. I'll get that and something practical.
  • I usually try to do books or educational toys of some sort when they're that little.  Most of my friends get so many clothes for their kids that they specifically request "no clothes" when it comes to birthdays, so I try to not get a useless gift.  

Of course, there's my husbands view, which is to get the kid the loudest, most obnoxious toy possible.  :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • <strong>In</strong> Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_nwr-what-to-get-a-one-year-old?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:d4409411-e0f0-45cd-a6ce-f73fc40bf73cPost:09d0b728-6636-4f5e-8871-b46c73e4345c">Re: NWR: What to get a one year old?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I usually try to do books or educational toys of some sort when they're that little.  Most of my friends get so many clothes for their kids that they specifically request "no clothes" when it comes to birthdays, so I try to not get a useless gift. <strong>  Of course, there's my husbands view, which is to get the kid the loudest, most obnoxious toy possible.  :)
    </strong>Posted by blgrout[/QUOTE]

Just remind him when he does that, it will come back to haunt him someday, if/when you have children. 
    Anniversary
  • Agree with PP make sure that it isnt something that is gonna drive the kids parents bonkers. I would get a few books, and something like previously mentioned leapstar etc. Something that is sensory stimulating.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards