Wedding Etiquette Forum

S/O my earlier post

We are taking a cruise for our honeymoon. We are on a program that any time the price drops below what we paid, we get on board credit. Right now, we have almost 350 in credit. We also have an interior room with no windows. Right now, I can upgrade to a cove balcony (one that you can literally fish off of, it's so close to the water) for only 120 + all that credit. Well, the loss of the credit isn't a big deal, because that money was already paid. The 120, I would pay out of my own pocket (the honeymoon money was a gift).

Well, out of that 350 is 140 in tips that we would have had to pay out of pocket when we boarded. If I use the credit to get the balcony, we're back to paying that out of pocket.

I'm sort of wanting to surprise FI with this upgrade, but I'm leary about using up that 350 that he already knows were getting. Is that too much money to not have FI input in?
"In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs

Re: S/O my earlier post

• I think it's probably good to talk to him about it, if you think he'll care.  Like my FI, I know he wouldn't really care.  And I think it's very, very worth it to upgrade to a balcony room- inside on a cruise ship seems sad and pointless.
  • I would talk to him about it.  But I definitely think you should upgrade!
  • Yes I think you should discuss it.  To go from $350 extra to spend to paying $260 is a lot.  You may find that he just wants to stay in the inside and have a lot of drinking money.  But I sure hope yall get the balcony, I love them!

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • If he knows you're getting it, I wouldn't do it without talking to him about it. 

Honestly - a window is really nice.  But, a balcony isn't my thing.  It doesn't get good sun for laying out & I'd rather be on deck, drinking that $350.  :D
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • How long is your cruise and where are you going?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:5080e142-b02e-4bc7-a752-6b8a7180c88e">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it's probably good to talk to him about it, if you think he'll care.  Like my FI, I know he wouldn't really care.  And I think it's very, very worth it to upgrade to a balcony room- inside on a cruise ship seems sad and pointless.
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]
    See, I really don't think he'd care, at all. But I feel icky not talking to him about that much money. If it were just the 120 that I had to pay out of pocket, I wouldn't think a thing about it.

And we decided on a inside room because we figure (based on my other 3 cruises) that we just aren't going to be in the room that much. I'm only ever in there to shower, change or sleep. Personally, I think a window room is pointless. But a balcony? I figure we might at least be able to have room service out there in the mornings.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:af6fb71d-8898-4156-a501-6534f120931d">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]How long is your cruise and where are you going?
    Posted by T1+T2[/QUOTE]
    7 days, St. Maartin, St. Thomas and Nassau
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:5d3673c3-6ede-4abf-ba0b-9a1270a26f37">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]If he knows you're getting it, I wouldn't do it without talking to him about it.  Honestly - a window is really nice.  But, a balcony isn't my thing.  It doesn't get good sun for laying out & I'd rather be on deck, drinking that $350.  :D
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]
    See, a window isn't my thing at all.

And exactly about all that extra drinking money. Or pictures. Or the excursion we wanted to Atlantis that we didn't think we should shell out for.
  • Yea, we're not big spend time in our room people, but I think we'll use it more with a balcony.  That way we're guaranteed chairs and don't have to deal with the chair hogs on deck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:402c9ad2-0321-47b8-9fa2-08e51a382244">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : See, a window isn't my thing at all. And exactly about all that extra drinking money. Or pictures. Or the excursion we wanted to Atlantis that we didn't think we should shell out for.
    Posted by louisvillebride21[/QUOTE]

Now that you said this, I think you should stick with the inside room.  You'll remember the trip to Atlantis more than you will the balcony.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:3882b08e-6b08-4bec-afeb-bd0fa9ee0545">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : See, I really don't think he'd care, at all. But I feel icky not talking to him about that much money. If it were just the 120 that I had to pay out of pocket, I wouldn't think a thing about it. And we decided on a inside room because we figure (based on my other 3 cruises) that we just aren't going to be in the room that much. I'm only ever in there to shower, change or sleep. Personally, I think a window room is pointless. But a balcony? I figure we might at least be able to have room service out there in the mornings.

Yeah, after reading squirrly's post, I guess needing a balcony depends on your personality.  FI and I aren't super duper social, and we don't love crowds, so I'd probably spend a lot of time sitting on the balcony and reading or staring out at sea.  I also think I'd feel claustrophobic not being able to get outside easily.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:ef2c0ad1-e604-4f09-a7ed-403780f1840a">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yea, we're not big spend time in our room people, but I think we'll use it more with a balcony.  That way we're guaranteed chairs and don't have to deal with the chair hogs on deck.
    Posted by navybaby1113[/QUOTE]
    I have NEVER had a problem with chair hogs. But then again, I can't stand being next to the pool. Too many screaming kids. I prefer the back of the ship, watching our wake. I think there's going to be a huge problem on the serenity deck though..
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:b05e7381-040f-4d0a-8b75-6d41fefc375c">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : <strong>7 days</strong>, St. Maartin, St. Thomas and Nassau

In that case, DO EEEET!  That's a good length cruise, and since you'll be at sea the entire day at times, you might get tired of the decks and just want to hang out on your own. 

If you don't think your FI will care, I would go the surprise route - it'll be really sweet.  But that's only if you're sure he won't mind.  I can make decisions like this one up and down with mine and he'll just be glad I thought to surprise him - but I know not everyone is like that. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:8583c6ba-1e90-4416-a7a1-2012a7783ce3">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : I have NEVER had a problem with chair hogs. But then again, I can't stand being next to the pool. Too many screaming kids. I prefer the back of the ship, watching our wake. I think there's going to be a huge problem on the serenity deck though..

From what I've heard, chair hogs are pretty bad on the Dream.  We'll see next week!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:eb364e69-ed25-4ac2-b5dc-4e9ee2c60879">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : Now that you said this, I think you should stick with the inside room.  You'll remember the trip to Atlantis more than you will the balcony.
    I think you're right. We've talked about that for years. Stinks that we're only there for a couple hours.

With us moving to AL, it won't be anything to go down to Mobile and catch a 3-4 day trip and be able to afford a balcony right off the bat.

Thanks for the advice ladies!

And Navy, how pumped are you??
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:0b832bdf-a512-4b69-8730-7d1b337eaf0d">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : From what I've heard, chair hogs are pretty bad on the Dream.  We'll see next week!
    And FI is 6'10. We WILL be moving those towels and he will deal with the pissed off rule breakers. We won't move anyone's 'stuff', but we won't hesitate to move towels.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:a84a7033-0213-4eac-874b-0f641f36da3f">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : I think you're right. We've talked about that for years. Stinks that we're only there for a couple hours. With us moving to AL, it won't be anything to go down to Mobile and catch a 3-4 day trip and be able to afford a balcony right off the bat. Thanks for the advice ladies! <strong>And Navy, how pumped are you??</strong>

Totally!  I can't wait!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:f68f50b2-9770-45bc-8db2-3474a6258dd2">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : And FI is 6'10. We WILL be moving those towels and he will deal with the pissed off rule breakers. We won't move anyone's 'stuff', but we won't hesitate to move towels.

Haha.  I have no problem moving people's towels.  They can pay the $22 for being jerkwads.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:38c1c650-e8f6-410a-bbf9-75c230f4ab0d">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : In that case, DO EEEET!  That's a good length cruise, and since you'll be at sea the entire day at times, you might get tired of the decks and just want to hang out on your own.  If you don't think your FI will care, I would go the surprise route - it'll be really sweet.  But that's only if you're sure he won't mind.  I can make decisions like this one up and down with mine and he'll just be glad I thought to surprise him - but I know not everyone is like that. 
    Posted by T1+T2[/QUOTE]
    Honestly, for us, it's all in how I approach it. If I make a decision and when I go to tell him about it, act guilty, he'll be a little upset. But if I act like it's not big deal at all, or I did it for him, he's totally fine. But I think I'd feel guilty about this since it's so much money.
  • FWIW, I don't think a balcony is worth it for that trip. FI and I got a balcony for our Alaska cruise, but that WAS our excursion. For a tropical cruise, I think your money would be better spent on fruity drinks and pictures!

Have fun!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Personally I would save the credit for excursions and other things on the ship.  My parents always get a balcony and still go upstairs for sun because the balcony has an overhang that shades it.  I think a cruise is the one vacation that you don't have to worry about the room because you will always have a clean one and you spend very little time in it.  For two people you will have enough room and if you want to see outside most decks have some sort of balcony. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:faeb8245-92c7-4f00-b204-537d8b0d145b">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : Haha.  I have no problem moving people's towels.  They can pay the $22 for being jerkwads.
    I hate that you have to check out the towels. That's one thing Holland does better, the towels are just a free for all. One day, i had 2 on my chair and one as a blanket. It was pretty awesome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:f68f50b2-9770-45bc-8db2-3474a6258dd2">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : And FI is 6'10. We WILL be moving those towels and he will deal with the pissed off rule breakers. We won't move anyone's 'stuff', but we won't hesitate to move towels.

Yeah that's something we liked about the Celebrity ship we went on for our honeymoon.  The pool crew would move the towels if they were unoccupied for 30 minutes.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:ecf67cfe-2da7-4ccf-97bf-242608094f47">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: S/O my earlier post : Yeah that's something we liked about the Celebrity ship we went on for our honeymoon.  The pool crew would move the towels if they were unoccupied for 30 minutes.
    Posted by cougarette[/QUOTE]

Carnival says that they do, but I've never seen them enforce it.
  • Yeah this was the first time I actually saw them moving stuff.  But then again there were always plenty of chairs available so it was never a big problem.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    hide
  • Sounds like fun!

We just got back from a 7 day cruise with Carnival - we had a window room.  Honestly, next time we cruise, we will be taking the inside cabins with no window.  It was just not worth the extra money (several hundred $$).  I would MUCH rather use the money for all the things that you mentioned.  We were hardly ever in our room. 

You will have to let me know how your cruise goes... we were thinking about that one too :)
  • I'll have my blog launched by then, so I'll post a review and let you know :) I really enjoyed your review and all the pictures. Sorry about your toe. lol
  • While interior rooms are kind of small and dark, the onboard credit is REALLY nice. I've heard that you should count on spending at least 50% and maybe even 100% of what the cruise itself cost in onboard purchases. The alcohol costs what it does in a bar, not a grocery store, you know? I don't think you'll have a problem blowing through $350. So keep that in mind - it's not just the $350, plus $120, plus $140 in tips - it's all that PLUS the rest of the money you'll spend on the ship.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • We normally don't spend terribly too much money on the ship.  We're not terribly huge drinks either.

We normally get inside cabins, but since it's our honeymoon, I figured we'd splurge for a balcony.  We'll probably never go back.  lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_earlier-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d53216a5-f71e-4439-ba00-eeff483ec9c4Post:a595cbc3-83a9-4251-b13b-4c1442a47e1a">Re: S/O my earlier post</a>:
    [QUOTE]While interior rooms are kind of small and dark, the onboard credit is REALLY nice. I've heard that you should count on spending at least 50% and maybe even 100% of what the cruise itself cost in onboard purchases. The alcohol costs what it does in a bar, not a grocery store, you know? I don't think you'll have a problem blowing through $350. So keep that in mind - it's not just the $350, plus $120, plus $140 in tips - it's all that PLUS the rest of the money you'll spend on the ship.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    VERY good point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards