Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

NWR: I need a new hairstyle...

...but I am scared.  I am not a fan of short hair, and have worn my hair exactly the same for 10 years, aside from the fact that lately I have been having it layered.  I feel like I have a lion's mane surrounding me sometimes because I just dont know what to do with it.  I am not a girly girl and I don't even own a hair dryer or straightener.  I generally have it colored a reddish tone, and all I know so far is that I want to try something different style wise, but not TOO drastic at first because I am a big wimp with my hair, and want to go darker color-wise.  I wish I could find pics of dark red hair with dark brown/blackish tones in it without looking streaky and, well, streaky... Any pics for ideas would be appreciated. Even color-wise! I will not go blond, though, I have done that and HATE HATE HATE myself as a blond.  also, here are a few not super recent pics of me with my hair "style" if you can even call it that.  I don't wear glasses often, now, either, generally just contacts.  The one shows what my color generally looks like, too, aside from teh fact that right now I am badly due for a touch-up.

These pics are 5 years old, but I really don't look significantly different...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: NWR: I need a new hairstyle...

• edited December 2011
    Is your hair really that curly or is it just curly because you let it air dry?

What about going a darker brown with red highlights?  Le' Beaute on Rt. 201 is where I was getting my hair cut out that way.  I would go in and let Renee (the owner) do what she thought was best.  I usually put the color and cut in her hands.  She decided to do my inverted bob and I love it!!  She's really good at picking what would be best for a person's face.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is that curly air dried with or without product -- I usually put mousse in it to tame it some, because it likes to fuzz up.  Ive attempted to straighten it before and it only seems to stay if its done at a salon, even then, the curls like to re-appear. Its crazy.

I have a salon that I really like the two stylists at in finleyville, but I haven't been going there long enough (or know anyone that has other than my grandma and 60 y/o aunt) that would give me the confidence to say "do what you will." with them.  I get very nervour with my hair. 

Dark brown with red would work too... I just want darker, not lighter. I have always lightened my hair, and its naturally a kind of mousey color which i don't care for, which is why i dye it to start with. 

I realize that I need to move out of my comfort zone sometime, but just get scared. And I know its just hair and will grow back, but it can be painful while it does!
  • CLW102409CLW102409 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would die for your curl.  My hair is curly, wavy, straight, thick, corse (a total mess when I don't  do my hair)  and I am a natural redhead who has in the past 15 years colored my hair brownish with blonde highlights.  I am not professional by any means but may be just take the length up a few inches and go a more medium brown with redish mixed in.  (does that even sound right?).  I just recently colored my hair to take out the blonde highlights that seemed to have taken over my hair.  My stylist (Brooke Rockwell) put in a brownish/red that had lots of gold mixed through it.  It was really dark at first and faded to a beautiful color now.  I really like it. 

I've been going to her for about 4 years and trust her a lot!! 

www.brookerockwellhair.com

image Ivory
  • edited December 2011

I know you said you've tried to straighten your hair, but have you ever gotten it relaxed? I have extremely curly hair, and get the curl relaxed every 3 months. I still have plenty of curl, but it's a lot more manageable now- my hair is about shoulder length. When I lived in PA, I went to Michelle's in Irwin, which I loved. I realize that's pretty far for you though... sorry I don't have any other recs, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

• LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would you do a curly bob?  I am currently fantasizing over these pictures for myself, and our hair looks sort of similar- mine is long, red, and curly!

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this like the color you are considering?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that is like the color that I am considering.  I am very afraid of short hair, partly because i don't know how to style my hair, and partly because i am convinced it will look bad on me. (which is also why i never buy new clothing)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards