October 2012 Weddings
Options

Still trying to figure out ring bearer gift...

I have been obsessively searching for a ring bearer gift for my FI's 7 year old nephew.  I can't find anything.  I would love to get something with his name on it, but I can't find anything fitting.  Whatever I end up getting, I also have to get for his 10 year old brother and 8 year old cousin.  Its easier than fighting with my FMIL and she thinks that I should get all the boys one gift.  The other two aren't in the wedding, but they are going to help us out with handing out programs.  I know a lot of people say that its stupid to just "give kids a job" but my FMIL wanted us to have all three as ring bearers (uh...there are only two rings) and I refused, saying I only wanted one ring bearer.  She wanted all three in tuxes if the ring bearer was going to wear a tux, so that they were all dressed the same and therefore there wasn't any fighting.  It was easiest to just give the boys a title and dress them up than to fight with FMIL.

So now I am stuck looking for the perfect gift for the boys.  My flower girl is easy since she is little (4) and is only one kid.  I just think its kind of a big age gap between 7 and almost 11 and I'm having a hard time finding something appropriate.

I considered getting them the thing that we are probably going to do for the GMs, a "shaving kit" (basically toiletry bag) that is leather with their initials on it.  Its a nice gift and everything, but I feel like that will be lost on the little guys.

Re: Still trying to figure out ring bearer gift...

• Options
    What about personalized soccer balls/footballs, etc?  You could get them whichever one suits them as individuals.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I feel your pain..... my FI has 7 nieces and nephews, only 3 of which are in our wedding (FG, RB, and the reader during the ceremony).  My FMIL is INSISTING that we get all of the kids boutenieres or corsages..... I think its ridiculous, and that the kids that are actually taking part won't feel special that way... on the gift side, we are more than likely getting both the RB (8) and FG (5) build-a-bears that are in a tux/dress.  
    458 Invited image
    300 Yes image
    78 No image
    80 Are making my stalk mailbox image
  • Options
    I don't see why they have to get the same gift.  They're different ages and probably have different interests.  Spend approximately the same amount of money on each of them and find something that they'll like.  If FMIL pitches a fit, tell her that you wanted the boys to have a gift that they'd enjoy, not a gift that would be the same for each of them.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_still-trying-to-figure-out-ring-bearer-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:e568d89b-afbc-4f53-b470-372cdb93e188Post:8a5c6a07-6f62-4035-be6d-70cd50103d16">Re: Still trying to figure out ring bearer gift...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't see why they have to get the same gift.  They're different ages and probably have different interests.  Spend approximately the same amount of money on each of them and find something that they'll like.  If FMIL pitches a fit, tell her that you wanted the boys to have a gift that they'd enjoy, not a gift that would be the same for each of them.  
    Posted by ericaandtom2012[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's kind of what I was just thinking.  One boy loves card tricks, so I looked up personalized cards and could get him a special deck.  Still not sure about he 8 ad 7 year old though...

</div>
  • Options
    What about a baseball hat or tshirt from their favorite team?
  • Options
    The cards sound like a good idea for one of the boys. Do they like cars? Maybe something along those lines? Or if they're a geek... get something like a fave board game?

I was going to get 2 small things for the RB. He is six and FIs nephew. So far I have a waterproof camera that he can use at the wedding, but trying to figure out a small second gift. My neice (and FG who is 1.5yrs) she is getting a book (for memories and pics) and a hankerchief to use as her something old when she gets married.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards