Hawaii

Morning Wedding?

Anybody have a morning wedding in Hawaii (Maui)?  Unfortunately the location we really want to use is only available on our day (and that's not flexible) for a morning wedding.  Was wondering mostly how pictures turned out and what you did for a reception?  Did you do a brunch after or wait til later in the day and do a dinner reception?

Re: Morning Wedding?

• edited December 2011
    A number of ladies here have done this!  If I recall, most of them hosted a brunch reception and then took the afternoon to do some really fun activities with their new husband, like a helicopter tour, surfing, etc.

Also, as for photos, most of the time morning light is much more flattering and soft as compared to afternoon light.  With the exception of missing sunset (which you could still do a photoshoot!), I think a morning wedding offers a ton of benefits.  We really considered one ourselves, too, because morning is just such a calmer, more serene time on the island.  6-7am is like my favorite hour, just before most people get up & out.  And, with the time changes for most, it's not really as early as it sounds :)

BTW, which part of Portland are you in? 
  • Ready2wed11Ready2wed11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at 8:30am. My wedding coordinator said that it's a great time b/c the water is calm and crystal blue. Great for pics! We are going to to rental house for a brunch, then off to the luau later in the evening. Luckily we are getting married in November, so the luau starts at like 5:30, so we won't have too much down time. I think I'll give ppl the option to leave and go change if they want, but I am going to be in my dress all day. Gotta get some use out of it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a morning wedding, too. More than one person on Maui has told us this is when the light is the best and that the ocean looks amazing. The ceremony is going to be at 9am. Following the wedding, we will have tropical mimosas and bellinis for our guests to enjoy with breakfast pasteries while we have our pictures taken. Once we are done we will join our guests, do photos with everyone and get the reception going. At noon, we walk over to the dining room and have a sit down lunch reception and cake. After the reception, everyone is free to do what they want. However, FI and I are going to a luau that night and are inviting all of our guests to join us. We have reserved seating in the very front for everyone, but can lower the numbers of how many ppl will be there, if anyone doesn't want to go. The luau is on the water and starts after the sun sets so our photographer is going to do pictures is us there, as well, as the sun's setting. Even though we are having a morning ceremony we fill like we still have a full wedding day and get all the great lighting ops, as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm about 20 minutes west of Portland (Oregon) in Beaverton.  Was born and raised on the east side and my FI and I moved out this way about 3 years ago and loved it so much we bought a house out here 2 years ago.

We are definitely leaning towards the morning wedding now, and pretty much for all the positive aspects mentioned above - cooler, better lighting and colors, and all day to celebrate as a married couple!  This is especially exciting the more I think about it because we're getting married on our last full day on the island.

Ready2Wed11 - When and where are you getting married in November?  We're getting married November 14th (a very recent decision which is why I'm still trying to work out the details)!
  • kimmykupcakeskimmykupcakes member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Ready2wed11Ready2wed11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    November 11. At Makena Cove. We've had the date and location planned for a little over a year now. You'll be fine, you have plenty of time to do everything. Because it's a destination wedding I feel like there's less to be done. Well, at least for ours b/c it's super casual. How many ppl are you having at your wedding? Good luck on all your planning. All these girls are super helpful and will answer all your questions, even the stupid questions (i had  pleanty of those).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    haha yeah I feel like I have stupid questions too - I even have stupid questions I'm anticipating asking...like the best way to transport my dress?!  BTW - I greatly appreciate EVERYONE's input on here.  Everyone has been so nice and helpful, I feel like I couldn't have planned this as easily without all the great input!

My wedding will be pretty casual too.  Guest total is looking like anywhere from 6-12 people so really small, but that's mostly related to us planning this so quickly.  FI will be in a suit (he really wants to get a new one anyway that he can wear for work) and I'll be in my dress, but other than that, I don't expect that our guests (parents and a few aunts/uncles mostly) will be very dressy.  Not to mention our color is this great medium teal-blue that we picked because it matches my awesome wayfarers, lol...FI wanted me to be able to wear them in some of the pics  :)

As of Friday we have pretty much settled on a coordinator (precious maui weddings) and a package and so long as Gannon's is still available for a morning wedding on our day we will do the wedding and brunch reception there.  After that is all finalized I feel like everything else should be pretty much smooth sailing!  Just a few DIY projects with my step-mom for hair and shoes and a few other details and thats it...until we start planning the AHR anyways!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards