Massachusetts-Boston

Chargers necessary?

I love the way they look but trying to see what extras I can cut down on. My wedding is more formal--are chargers expected at a formal place setting?

Is it better to buy them or rent them?

Re: Chargers necessary?

• plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My wedding is very formal - we aren't using chargers. THey look nice, but aren't a requirement of a formal place setting.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • backbaybridebackbaybride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I really love the look of chargers, but if you are looking for somewhere to cut that might a good place.  If you are already renting linens and chairs it's also possible that you could add the chargers in at the end if you end up having more wiggle room?

• edited December 2011
    We had a relatively formal wedding and used chargers. I had my planner do the table with and without, and I felt the table looked much better with them. It's definitely a personal preference.

Try out Rental Unlimited Virtual Tabletop to get a rough idea of what your tables could look like both with and without.  http://www.rentals-unlimited.net/table/virtual-tabletop.asp

There are often girls on the board selling chargers after their weddings, so that's any easy way to get them at a low price. I've seen a couple of girls post in the past that they have found really inexpensive chargers at Christmas Tree Shop (around $1 per charger).
  • edited December 2011
    I got them at the Christmas Tree Shop for about 80 cents each with a coupon then sold them after! My mother tried to talking me out of them but our linens and flowers were all white so I felt like I needed color. Loved the look but also agree they aren't necessary. Just a personal preference.
  • edited December 2011
    Its personal preference and a yes for us!
  • mia082683mia082683 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought chargers on clearance not long ago up at the Kittery Outlets at Le Gourmet Chef.  I bought silver and I got a box of 4 silver chargers for like 1.45 or something like that.. Might be worth giving them a call and seeing if they still have them.
    image 180 Invited
    image 160 are joining in!!
    image 17 are missing out!!
    image 3 are late to RSVP!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for your opinions! I definitely love how they look and think they add something to the table. My wedding isn't until September but have to decide if I need to be on the lookout for good deals!

I emailed my hotel to ask what they use and they apparently use an 11 inch square charger plate which I think is the same as their china. So, will have something one way or the other.

Thanks for the tips!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_chargers-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:89Discussion:d8c6fa34-0cf2-4c45-9191-c3c603681aa3Post:390aca9f-4521-44da-8344-9dce238acd80">Re: Chargers necessary?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got them at the Christmas Tree Shop for about 80 cents each with a coupon then sold them after! My mother tried to talking me out of them but our linens and flowers were all white so I felt like I needed color. Loved the look but also agree they aren't necessary. Just a personal preference.
    Posted by vtbm[/QUOTE]

This is what I did.  The folks at the Christmas Tree Shop were super helpful over the phone.  I would call and ask to be notified when one of their friends and family 20% discounts come up.  I special ordered all 144 of them for $0.80 ea and figured I could sell them after the wedding and recoup if not all of the $.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards