Catholic Weddings
Options

The Lenten Fast

Anybody giving up something for Lent this year?

I'm going to try...really hard...to give up all pop and all candy/sugar/snack things. I'm a major sugar nut to the point where I've wondered if there's something wrong with me because I feel like I have to have it for my body to function. Well, here it goes. After today, Fat Tuesday, the 40 day countdown begins. Hopefully, at the end of it, not only will my pathetic understanding of Christ's suffering be more heightened, but I'll also be healthier and perhaps able to stay away from those things for good. Fingers crossed!
Ovarian cyst lapro: '01, '04, '09 Conal biopsy: '01- results negative Dilation: '03 for cervical scarring Pcos test: '05, FSH and LH normal Mirena removed July '12 My Ovulation Chart

Re: The Lenten Fast

• Options
    I am re-starting weight watchers tomorrow and giving up "junk". (which for me will include candy, chocolate, chips, take-out, and basically all the things I really love)
  • Options
    FI and I are both giving up alcohol. I did it last year too and it was SOOO hard.
  • Options
    Mostly for Lent I'm focusing on spending more time with God and less on frivolous things, so FI and I are going to try and go to daily Mass most mornings, and I'm also planning on spending some time each week reading the Bible.

@blush - I just went back on plan with WW at the start of the year.  let me know if you want to buddy up for accountability or support!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

One thing to remember: The wedding is just one day. The marriage is all the rest of them.

April 2012 Siggy Challenge: Cake Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I'm giving up soda and baked sweets.  I can't give up ALL sweets because sometimes you just need a little something.  But baked treats are the hardest for me because I have a few bakers in my office who bring in cookies and cakes a couple times a week.

• Options
    I've lost 15 lbs since new year--- continuing that- also , montfort's total consecration to Mary begins today (Tuesday). I did it quite awhile ago, but I was in a lot of pain then--- it was more of a cry for help then willing to give myself.
  • Options
    I am giving up swearing.

Last year I gave up "getting frustrated."  It really helped me, I think, in times when something aggravating happened, to just take a second and say a quick prayer, rather than fly off the handle.  I can have a pretty nasty temper, and I really feel like that helped me a lot.  My kids were hilarious.  When they found out what I had "given up," a bunch of them said, "Oh, that's impossible with us!"

I'm also going to try to be much more reflective in my own life -- read my Bible, pray more often, go to confession, strengthen my faith with my husband -- and take better care of myself.  Cut back on the junk food, the alcohol, and the sweets, and work out more.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I'm giving up Facebook and all snacks/treats, both of which will be very difficult for me. I'm planning to stay on here, though, because I know I will need the support.

I also try to DO something...like go to daily Mass a couple of times a week and speak kindly of/to everyone. I want to talk to my husband to see what he might be willing to join me for.

Linda
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Options
    FI and I are both giving up coffee and sweets (other than wedding cake testing).  I'm also planning to go to confession and start reading the daily readings again.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No facebook and coffee for me...

I'm going to try harder this year to make it to at least one additional daily Mass each week as well as some adoration and service work!  I failed dismally last year at growing spiritually during Lent since it was right before my wedding.
  • Options
    No coffee for me... Watch out everybody, the first week is going to be rough!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    No pop, fast food, or candy!
    Let's just say I took full advantage of Fat Tuesday yesterday and had all three!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_the-lenten-fast?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f58f26c2-7510-4e65-aa20-51c1f9db8ff0Post:93f96ba9-b39d-4af9-b868-03e6494ee63f">Re: The Lenten Fast</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I've lost 15 lbs since new year</strong>--- continuing that- also , montfort's total consecration to Mary begins today (Tuesday). I did it quite awhile ago, but I was in a lot of pain then--- it was more of a cry for help then willing to give myself.
    Posted by agapecarrie[/QUOTE]
     Me too! High five!
  • Options
    I'm giving up soda ... I figured at the point where I was having a 20oz at 9:00am, something was not right, haha. My FI and I are also giving up sex, but not just until Easter. The further I progress in my RCIA classes, the more it becomes important to me.

We're also going to start doing the daily readings together - I'd like to try daily Mass, but work schedules make it impossible, unless a church around here decides they'd like to start having Mass very, very early ;)
    Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. -1Peter 4:8
  • Options
    I'm "abstaining" from chocolate which is going to be painful (I had a last hurrah yesterday with brownies and hot cocoa) and gossip. That one is more difficult to regulate because you sometimes just find yourself hearing or sharing a story... Or you're not sure if it's *really* gossip to share this one thing (which it almost always is). But, I'm going to do my best.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm giving up the snooze button.  It's already brutal!  I'm hoping I can make it an exercise in spiritual commitment and a good way to start out the day.
  • Options
    My Fiance and I are both giving up soda & fast food. I gave up soda 3 yrs ago and it was hard but I did it and I lost 15 pounds! FYI I drink diet soda. I'm hoping the lack of soda will help me in the weight loss journey as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am an RCIA Candidate and will receive my first communion and confirmation at Pentecost. This is my first time participating in Lent and since the wedding has been stressing me out and making me argumentative, I decided to give up arguing and the need to win when talking to FI. I am usually pretty flexible but I figured this would be good practive and would definitely draw me closer to God as I expect I will be frequently praying for help to get through this. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards