Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Tanning Vs. Self Tanners

Tanning VS. Self Tanners

My wedding is in 3 weeks and I really wanted to get some color on my skin and blend in all my tan lines. My dress is a strapless, sweetheart neck line and I've considered going tanning, however I prefer to protect my skin and not go tanning. With my luck I might get some skin cancer of some sort. I've read about self tanners and I'm a bit skeptical about them. I know some fade, others rub on your clothing and the LAST thing I want to happen is my fake tan rubbing on my wedding dress.

What are your thoughts? Is anyone going to self tan or going to a tanning salon or not do any at all? If you're currently using a self tanner please share your review. I would love to hear!! 

Re: Tanning Vs. Self Tanners

• I've always wanted to try those spray tans. Have you considered that?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have, however I have a fear of looking "Orange". Have you spray tan before? 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_tanning-vs-self-tanners?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:991689a5-b7b8-4bbc-9017-c46d619d21f8Post:f0185375-572e-4a8a-badc-026c3c1d3060">Re: Tanning Vs. Self Tanners</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've always wanted to try those spray tans. Have you considered that?
    Posted by beckyh77[/QUOTE]
  • Nope. You bring up a good point though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I may be doing the airbrush spray tan. I tried it for the first time about two weeks ago because I also have a sweetheart neckline strapless dress. I have some pretty major tan lines going & needed to see if it could be covered. I didn't turn out orange at all. My sprayer recommended for my wedding to come in a few days before. She said you don't want to do day of wedding or rehersal because the solution needs to set & if you are sweating, the solution will run & be ruined. So I'm going on Wed. before wedding to give it plenty of time to set. The key to lasting long, mositurize for days before going, exfoliate also. On day of use nonscented, non moisturing sozp & no lotions.
  • I use Loreal's self-tanning products. You can get them at any drug store or big box store like Walmart. It's about $8 and works great. I've never had it get streaky or anything like that. My suggestion is to put on after a shower, when you're clean and dry, and let it dry after you've put it on completely before getting dressed (avoid light colored clothing while using it). I use it 2-3 times per week when I need to get a quick, natural looking tan.
    Praying for a miracle!
  • I did a spray tan for my wedding.  I have done it many times so I knew what to expect.  I did just a very light application and didn't look orange (spray tans have come a long way).  There is also airbrush tanning (where a person sprays you rather than a machine).

If you have heavy tan lines, I don't know that a self tanner will cover them.  My spray tan barely covered mine, and they were light as I had been letting them fade for months.  With 3 weeks to go, you will need to try something before the wedding day to make sure you are happy with it.
  • I used Jergen's Express Glow body moisturizer, just once a couple days before my wedding to fill in some faint lines from halter-style bathing suits. It's available at regular drug stores in the lotion aisle, and they have two different formulations -- one for fairer skin (that's what I got) and one for darker tones. Very straightforward, very inexpensive, no chance to have it "come off", although just to be sure I did not wear white the day I applied it!
  • I laid out on my back porch in a strapless bra after work for an hour. Did this about 3 times a week starting the month before the wedding.

Sunblock will keep you from burning if you use it propperly. It must be applied every hour to be effective. The SPF number multiplied by how long you can stand the sun normally lets you know how long you be outside without getting burned. So if you can only take sun for 10 minutes and you apply SPF 30--- 10x30=300 minutes or 5 hours in the sun.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards