Michigan-Grand Rapids

looking for ceremony and reception site ( at the same place)

Hello brides! Any suggestions on where to have ceremony and reception (at same venue). I'm on a strict budget . My husband  and i are already married but we want to have a gathering for close friends and family . Any thoughts ladies  

I am open to ALL locations

Re: looking for ceremony and reception site ( at the same place)

• shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest the Grand Volute in Lowell, Thornapple Pointe Golf Club, some of the other Golf/Country clubs in the area, and St. Cecilia's Music Society.  They all have spaces for both a ceremony and reception....
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wait.  You're already married, but planning your vow renewal?  I'm confused.
  • rhoades0612rhoades0612 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank shrades i will look into those
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes we are already married. We got married at the courthouse but we want to share that day with family and friends so  because hes in the army so we wasnt able to have the famliy and friends present at that time.
    edited December 2011
    So, everyone knows that you're married right?

I'm just going to come right out and say that I'm SO against this kind of do-over wedding.  If you're planning a vow renewal at a big anniversary, that's one thing, but you got married at a courthouse for a reason.  We all have decisions to make in how our weddings work out, and if you decided courthouse, then that's your wedding day, even if you didn't get the big dress blah blah blah.  My H and I almost did this because we were moving overseas and it would have been easier for me visa wise.  However, we knew that getting "married" twice wasn't an option because it was just not what we wanted for ourselves.  It was a tough 2 years for me on the visa front, but we ended up having the wedding with our friends and family and NOT having the 'do over' that would just seem false later on.

Anyway, just keep that in mind as you plan your... whatever you want to call it.
  • jleigh1902jleigh1902 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're planning on Grand Volute in Lowell for both our ceremony and reception. If you have your wedding in the "off" season (Nov-April) they have a package deal that is quite a bit cheaper than if you held it there during the more popular months. Friends of mine had their ceremony and reception in Norton Shores (Muskegon) at Above & Beyond. They were already married technically too but I'm not sure that all of their family knew that. I think they did the whole ceremony and such more because their families wanted them to.
  • qttchicaqttchica member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at whitefish lake golf course in pierson about 20 minutes north of grand rapids.  They had the best prices out of all the other venues I looked at in grand rapids which included the grand volute, thornapple and st. cecilias.  It is not the fanciest place but it is nice and they're prices are the most reasonable.  The people have been very helpful and good to work with as well.  If you're on a tight budget, I would reccommend checking them out.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

OKAY WE GOT MARRIED IN A COURT  HOUSE BECAUSE HES MILITARY AND HE WAS DEPLOYING. SECOND OF ALL I JUST ASKED FOR GRAND RAPIDS LOCATIONS NO WHAT YOU THINK OR FEEL. ITS NOT LIKE WE ARE  FAKING ANYTHING WE BOTH WANT THIS. PLUS OUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS AGREE WITH THIS IDEA. ITS SAD THAT YOU FEEL THIS WAY ABOUT THE SITUATION

• edited December 2011

Lol, what the heck Amoro? There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a formal ceremony with family and friends after the courthouse! I think people with military spouses do this fairly often seeing that they can't exactly say, "Uh, sorry, I can't deploy yet, I'm planning a wedding". Nobody asked you and I'm sure nobody's going to make you attend the wedding.

Anyways, back to locations...I've only looked in the Muskegon area, but the Above and Beyond place that jleigh mentioned is a nice option. The Banquet room might be a little pricey but they also have a Garden Tent that I believe was around $500 to rent.

Good luck...

edited December 2011
    Well, if the info is out there, I'm able to comment on it.  I didn't do it rudely, just put it out there. Having dealt with this situation myself, where my H and I had to make a decision whether to have a courthouse wedding or a family and friends wedding later on, I can lend an opinion.  That's the beauty of forums. 

And yea, we decided on a wedding two years after we got engaged, even with all the troubles we went through during that time, because we only believe in doing it once.  That's all I'm saying. 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

THANK U TO ALL THE WONDERFUL BRIDES WHO HELP ME WITH LOCATIONS  IN GRAND RAPIDS MICHIGAN.

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    AMORO ITS REALLY SAD THAT U DONT UNDERSTAND THAT BEING IN THE MILITARY WHEN ITS TIME TO GO THEY HAVE TO GO. YES, I ASKED FOR YOUR OPINION ON RECEPTION SITES NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS. EVERY ONE ISNT LUCKY TO HAVE FAMILY AND FRIENDS PRESENT WHEN THEY TAKE THAT BIG STEP. IM NOT U AND FROM THE SOUND OF IT I 'M PRETTY SURE THAT YOUR HUSBAND ISN'T MILITARY SO UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE HAVING YOUR HUSBAND GONE TO IRAQ PLEASE STOP COMMENTING ON MY POST THANK YOU.
  • whiteybearwhiteybear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that you had mentioned locationas in Grand Rapids, but we're having our wedding and reception in June at Eesley Place in Planiwell, MI about a half hour south of Grand Rapids.  Its a beautiful old flour mill thats renovated into a banquet faciltiy.  It has very high ceilings with exposed beams, wood floors, and cool lanterns from the ceiling.  Hopefully this helps. :)
    Off Ortho Evra Birth Control Patch-Feb. 2011 Began TTC March 2011 8/30/11- U/S results normal,structural appearance normal, possibly partial sub-septate uterus???? Sept 2011 CD 20 Check- Progesterone normal/indicates ovulation at a 12 9/14/11 CD 3 blood work- Estrogen Normal-35 FSH levels-5.9 9/30/2011- S/A- Results GOOD October 2011 10/7/2011- Surprise BFP!!!!!!!! 10/12/2011- MC Confirmed CP at roughly 4wks 2 days EDD:6/18/2012 Our 2 yr. Anniversary 10/13/2011- Follow up consult with OB and lay out a treatment plan 10/20/11 MRI with/without contrast uterus labeled as Arcuate uterine abnormality, small cyst detected on left ovary. End October 2011- Fired Original OB/switched and interviewed several practices with new OB and Love her! 12/02/11- HSG uterus looks perfect with no abnormalities detected and tubes clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    we are having both wedding and reception at st. cecilia's music society....
    I know it was mentioned in an earlier post but the facility is beautiful and worth checking out ..... happy planning
  • poopoo2829poopoo2829 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Post Family Farm in Hudsonville has both ceremony and receptions at thier location. I've been to a couple weddings there and both were very nice. They have a highly recommended caterer (Catered Creations) but you can also birng in your own I think. We are going with Catered Creations. Hope this helps. And THANK YOU for you and your husbands service to our country. I'm an Air Force brat myself, so I know a little of what it's like to have family serving in the armed forces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards