Registry and Gift Forum

registering for gift cards?

We are kind of not into the idea of a wedding registry. We have tons of home stuff as it is, and just can't think of any specific items we need or want our guests to buy. Our wedding will be extremely informal and casual. Is it completely rude to just ask for Visa or Amazon gift cards? I am clueless when it comes to this type of thing.
Thanks!

Re: registering for gift cards?

• Registering for gift cards is the same as asking for cash, which is a big no-no.  Have you thought of making a small registry with some upgrades to things you already have?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ditto Darbie.  Also, have you looked into registering at Amazon?  We did and included things like tools, cookbooks, and sporting equipment.  IMO, you can include non-traditional registry items as long as they are things you will use together or for your shared goals. 
  • How do you register for gift cards? Is there actually a site that does this?
  • Can someone explain the logic to me why gift cards is like asking for cash?  The way I see it is that if you register for tangible goods then someone is spending X amount on items.  YOU know how much they are spending on said items because you registered for it (obviously this doens't apply if they buy off the registery).  Or they can spend X amount on a gift card to a store.  Gift card can't be converted to cash and maybe you have everything you need at this moment, but in 2 years you might buy a house and need more stuff.  If I got a gift card at BBB or Crate & Barrel, then obviously it will be used for some sort of home purchase.  I'm just asking because I don't see the difference personally and was hoping for someone to explain it to me.

PS - many registries have an option for gift cards on it.  So you do a traditional registry at say BBB and then you check a box that you would also like gift cards.  Then people can decide that if they don't like your registry to just get you a gift card at said store.
  • To me, it's the same as asking for cash because when you buy a gift, that person gets the physical gift.  You can never really tell how much they spent on it.  Some people are very thrifty and find ways of getting items at knock off prices.  

A gift card is just another way to disguise the money from being actual money, same as writing a check or handing someone a credit card.  Registering for a gift card is like saying "hey I want money but I don't want to seem tacky by asking for it so you can give it to me in gift cards."  To me it's the same thing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registering-for-gift-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:89a62d4e-11d0-4fc5-92a6-2d6b8aa2fc06Post:ab397bcf-c93c-4c12-82d6-7e9451c3f1e2">Re: registering for gift cards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can someone explain the logic to me why gift cards is like asking for cash?  The way I see it is that if you register for tangible goods then someone is spending X amount on items.  YOU know how much they are spending on said items because you registered for it (obviously this doens't apply if they buy off the registery).  Or they can spend X amount on a gift card to a store.  Gift card can't be converted to cash and maybe you have everything you need at this moment, but in 2 years you might buy a house and need more stuff.  If I got a gift card at BBB or Crate & Barrel, then obviously it will be used for some sort of home purchase.  I'm just asking because I don't see the difference personally and was hoping for someone to explain it to me. PS - many registries have an option for gift cards on it.  So you do a traditional registry at say BBB and then you check a box that you would also like gift cards.  Then people can decide that if they don't like your registry to just get you a gift card at said store.
    Posted by Jager1219[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Actually, people usually DON'T know how much I spent on a gift, even if I bought it off their registry.  Example: I happen to know that Pottery Barn will sometimes have lower prices in-store than online (and sometimes vice versa).  2 weddings ago, I bought 2 serving sets of flatware for the couple.  They were listed at $50 each on her online registry.  I live about a half mile from a PB so I went to check the price in store.  They were $35 instead, as some weekend promotion.  I also have a PB credit card which gives me 10% back on all my purchases there.  So I had a $25 credit from my rewards.  So the bride thinks I spent $100.  I actually spent $45.  And since I used my PB credit card, I personally received $4.50 in credit toward future purchases.  So the final net cost to me was $40.50.</div><div>
    </div><div>And if I had bought her a gift card?  I would have gotten no special sale, I would not have been able to use my rewards certificate, and I would have earned no points for future purchases.  That's how it's different.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Liatris2010 - I agree with you that people will figure out that if you're registered at a store, then you would probably like a gift card at that store.

RetreadBride - I also agree that stores try to get as much out of you as possible.  I was really taken aback with Macy's when they tried to give me those registry inserts to put in my invites.  I knew that was a big no-no and couldn't believe that they just give that stuff out.

hoffse - Good point.  I guess I didn't think about sales & whatnot.  I just thought of it as something will cost X and since I know how much it costs when I put it on the registery, then that's how much that person spent on my gift.

Thanks you everyone - I couldn't wrap my head around the logic of it other than being told that "gift cards are the same as asking for cash".
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards