Indiana
Options

Budget Wedding Cakes in NW Indiana

(Copy and pasting this from my Budget Wedding post, didn't notice the local boards)

So I have no idea how much cakes cost and I am very affraid to start looking. I am trying to plan this wedding all on my own with some help from my mother and her best friend. I am on a very tight budget. I am paying for things as my FI and I get paid from work every two weeks. Anyways, does anyone know some nice (cheap) places in Northwest Indiana to get a wedding cake from? I thought about cupcakes, but one of my best friends is hand sculpting my cake topper already. I'm worried cakes cost a lot...what is the norm? Sorry..I'm still new to the site Embarassed
My Bio!
(it's still a work in progress)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Budget Wedding Cakes in NW Indiana

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My cake from Taylors Bakery was a little under 600.  It feeds 150 people so its a decent size cake :) You could just have a friend make a cake...
  • Options
    inkygirlinkygirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do cupcakes and then do a small 6" cake for you and FI to cut.  You can either make the cupcakes yourself the few days before the wedding or get them from WalMart.  They do a decent job on cakes and such.  I know Sam's Club is $11.88 for 30 cupcakes that are decorated. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with Chesterton Bakery and they are doing 100 cupcakes and a 9" cake for us to cut for $125
    Photobucket
  • Options
    ChiaraSeraChiaraSera member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Arlene's Wedding Cakes (Nile, MI) is doing our cake for 200 people for about $250 dollars. She'll do any design you like and her cakes are very tastey! She also doesn't charge extra for flavored filling, which the other places I went to did.

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The lady who is doing my cake...has done numerous cakes for my family over the past few years...and used to work at Beck's Bakery in Crown Point.  She works out of her house...and is charging me $270 for a tiered cake that feeds roughly 300 people!

If you want her info, shoot me a PM. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got a 3 tier cake for 200 people from Cakes By Karen in Griffith for about $250. They have GREAT ingredients, as I thought the cake wouldn't taste that great with the cost but it was a GREAT cake!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Some more ideas if youre on a really tight budget----

Im going to have a small two tiered cake for myself and fiancee to cut in front of everyone. The top tier will most likely be styrofoam instead of actual cake to save on the cost. I will also have a sheet cake in the back that will be served for the guests. No one will ever notice the difference between cakes, and sheet cakes are wayyyyy cheaper. Also, cakes can be really expensive because of the decoration (i.e. flat sides), go with a textured type of cake, and it should be cheaper because the baker doesnt have to put all the effort into making the fondant or buttercream seamless. Hope that helps!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm late on this too but my cousin was on a very tight budget.. they did a cake made out of styrofoam.. they had it decorated just like normal cakes and it was beautiful! then they just served sheet cake.. super cheap!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Cakes by Karen. I've had their cakes before and they've always been good. Samples were delish when I went in with my mom. Prices were very reasonable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    p.s. there's no way to be late on this board because it's extremely slow
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chesterton Cake Shoppe is great.  They charge a $1.50 a piece for cupcakes add a $.25 for filling and another $.25 per flavor.   They charge $2.50 for wedding cake and again the addition $.25 per flilng or flavor per person. 

I got my cake there, we had our tasting and it is FANTASTIC! And def the cheapest in the area.

She also would make you a small cake and then you could buy sheet cakes with the same filling/frosting...

Good luck
  • Options
    sldavis1126sldavis1126 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I came across this message regarding the person that worked for Beck's Bakery and is making cakes out of her home.  I'm hoping that you still have her information!
    Thanks
  • Options
    Can I get her info, please
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards